• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Raleigh NC

I know Zeb and the Durham courses are opposite sides. But UNC and Zeb are ones I really want to play and I have all day Monday so I'm gonna do the travelling. Buckhorn and Mid Creek will be close to where I'm working, so they should be easy to get in on other days.

I looked at Cedarock pictures and now think I'm gonna skip it. Doesn't look like anything I'd even play in my own backyard if I had another choice. Wellspring looks like a decent 18 hole wooded course, but I don't think it's worth the drive now, nothing too spectacular. Plus sign says "Alcohol Prohibited".

After Zeb on Monday I'm gonna hit Valley Springs, then UNC. Should I leave some time to hit up Leigh Farm? There are no pictures here.

Only go to Leigh Farms if you have a person who has played there in the last couple of weeks with you.

Good info in this thread, someone pointed me here. I'm landing in Charlotte on Sunday and found a few off the list that I'm going to try and hitup that same day. I get to hotel downtown and 2pm and am desperately trying to get to Reedy Creek, Kilborne or Eastway. I'm a bit limited since I don't have a car, but I believe I just figured out the transit system and those are off (or near) bus lines.

How busy is Raleigh Durham airport - how much time should I arrive prior to flight (middle of the day Thursday).

I live about 20-25 minutes from the airport -- from the time I leave my house until sitting at the gate takes about 1 hr (or less) for people I drop off. If you have a rental car you need to leave time for getting rid of that also.

faster with local guide

Will a guide help speed, or will two players (or more) slow things down???

I've found it is ALWAYS faster to play with a "local" the 1st time at a course.

#Where do I park?
#Where is hole 1 tee?
#Where is hole 1 basket?
#Is there long and/or short tees on this hole?
#Is there long and/or short baskets on this hole?
#Where's the next tee? (no pulling out the map 10 times)
#Where's the basket, I can't see it from the tee? (often)
#disk safety: "Stay out of the crap on the left it's nasty."
#disk retention: "There's water on the right, you can't see from here, DON"T GO RIGHT"
#disk recovery: "I know it's here someplace but can't find it" - 2 people are better than 1 looking for disc.
#How do I get to the: next course, bar, food place, hotel etc...

Plus sign says "Alcohol Prohibited".

Virtually every course/park in NC prohibits alcohol. It's the most abused rule ever, especially at Cedarock. :\

If you hit up UNC you can hit up Anderson, Southern Community, and Leigh Farms really quickly. You definitely want a little time navigating SoCo though b/c the park has left the back 9 to nature the last time I was there. And a guide at Leigh Farms is a must.

Last edited:
Little known fact: it's completely legal to drink alcohol at Rankin Lake.

I had always heard that but i thought it was just speculation. I'll make sure to thouroughly enjoy some tasty cold ones while I'm out there.

I'm not sure how its is up in the triangle, but here in Charlotte its pretty lax when it comes to beer drinking on the course in most situations. There's the couple rules to follow to keep out of trouble. Keep it out of the open, or at least put a coozie on it and toss your trash. Weekdays are usually no big deal if you are, its just when the parks get crowded with parties and kids and families around, usually patrol is a little heavier.

and let us Charlotte folk know when you may make it out here. You could hit all courses of importance in 2 days without rushing, maybe get in a second round at one of your favs. Reedy, Kilborne and Sugaw are more home courses to me(courses I don't even think about throwing off the tee). Navigation at the 3 is fairly easy. Sugaw is very straight forward, and Kilborne and Reedy have been in the ground so long that nature sends you in the right direction.

dark earlier -- buckhorn etc...

For those courses you plan on playing after work -- with the clocks changing this weekend you better be able to get out of work early because it'll be dark by 6pm. Starting the 7th sunset is 5:15 so by 6 it's too dark to really play.

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU GUYS TRIED TO STEER ME CLEAR OF LEIGH FARMS!

It was great! Man, I should have eaten beforehand though! In the heat today and the brutality of the course, I was hallucinating - Every sadistic tree littered fairway and long away pin perched on a precarious ridge or washout was looking better and better! Played white tees to advanced pins, had a blast and thought about staying for the rec course and some ace runs. I'll be bac k here again and navigation is never an issue the second time around, so it's not worth getting bent out of shape about, but I almost went back to the rec course while trying to play #3 to the long pin around the road.

Today I hit up...
Zebulon
UNC
Leigh Farms
Valley Springs
Back for another round at UNC before dark!

That's a great freaking day. Congrats. How'd you like Valley Springs, and did you play the longs?

And what heat today??? You from Canada or something? I had my jeans and long sleeves on all day.

Although it's been in the 60s the past two days; I have been wearing hat and gloves for a few morning rounds in Wisco lately. :)

I did play Valley Springs Blues, including some of those blue baskets that were way beyond reasonable - or at least a long spectacular tree threading drive required to the white pin, then another 100-200' to the long pin. Some of the blue tees like 16 and 18 were ridonkulous almost. In looking at my scorecard I shot 57. I skipped foremoor, because the whole course was real repetitive, FUN, but repetitively boring, so I decided to haul back to UNC for another round at 430pm before dark.

Frost on the ground at Zeb this morning at 840am. I got wet shoes. But midday at Leigh Farms under the sun of the field holes was like 69 degrees and I hadn't eaten or drank anything but coffee since 730. I had my shirt off for a few holes. It mustive been good luck cuz I hit the pyramid on the elevated pin of hole 9.

I left my 2007 Ace Race Impact at Valley Springs!!!! I threw an ace chase disc on one of the holes and must not have picked it up! It had 3 aces with that disc and it was written all over. Bring orange ace race disc. Oh well, disc golf karma should be headed my way. Maybe luck will give me an ace at Buckhown tomorrow!

I have been told it is really hard to navigate without a guide. It does have the potential to be a great course.

You should play it, and be ready for a mega challenge compared to anything else in the area (that I've now played anyway).

LONG LONG holes, tight woods, shot placement/layup required, elevation, ravines and risky green hazards, etc, etc.

It's not too bad really once you get the hang of it. Go to all the pads where you see a nice tee sign. These are the WHITE pads of the advanced course. Take a look at the sign and see if there are Gold pads shown further back if you want to play those (many pads are white and gold shared). Look down the fairway and ignore the basket with the blue band, these are for the rec course and are on a few of the holes and very short. You'll need to walk down the fairway quite a bit in some instances to see the pin you need to throw too with the all yellow band. But the tee signs do a nice job depicting the fairway flight and shape. Also, check the welcome board and see what position the advanced pins are in (2 possibilities). For example when I played the odd holes were long pins and even holes were short pins. At nearly every green is a small sign pointing to the next tee, follow those paths and again look for the nice tee signs complete with post top numbers to find your next hole.

Latest posts