• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Raleigh NC

Hit Buckhorn last night. Donated a disc in the lake on the first one across the lake (not the one with the tunnel leading up to the shallow bay of the lake). Each of the two guys I was with donated to that nasty pond on #17. I liked it a lot, beautiful area, lots of nice risk and reward, lake, pond, risky pin placements, and clever design, but it was mostly repetitve tree lined holes. Good balance left, right, straight, long, short, etc. But not too many mutiple routes, or layup required type holes. I liked UNC as a course better, and Leigh Farms was a delightful challenge (beatdown).

Gonna try for Cedar Hills yet today and Middle Creek tomorrow before my flight.

Lost daylight at Middle Creek, but played 10-18, 1, 2, lost a disc on 3 in that swamp pit, and skipped ahead to play 6 and 9.

Was also able to hit up Cedar Hills Thursday morning before my flight (which was delayed anyway and would have given me time to go back and finish Middle Creek!)

That sucks. What discs did you lose? Buckhorn is fun, I enjoy it. There are options, but you gotta get creative to make some of them workable. I agree, UNC is lots of fun. A good mix of technical and open bombers. I'm suprised you made it through Leigh Farm...it's confusing as hell the first time there!

I had LOT of extra walking at Leigh, and even backtracking to the tee after realizing I threw the hole wrong.

I lost a Z surge in the lake on #10 Buckhorn. I just left behind my prized ESP Impact at Valley Springs early on the course (probably because I was rushing so I could play UNC again!). And lost my Ch Boss on #3 at Middle Creek, either in the dark or in that nastly little swamp pit.

yeah....that little pit is kinda grody. I'm playin there tommorow morning, I'll take a look for it. What color?

I came down to Raleigh with just 7 of my 14 discs I usually play with, so toward the end after having lost 2 and 3 discs, I found myself having to get creative and also not throwing as well. I played Cedar Hills with just 4 discs and none of them were ones I would have taken on a 4-disc round, even the putter.

The Ch Boss is a kinda dull orange. Has my name and number, but if you find it, KEEP IT. I leave it all up to disc golf karma. If you ever make it up here to Winter Park, I'll offer you a tasty cold beer for it in exchange. The only disc I'd really like back is that Impact because I had 3 aces with it, but a group of 20 kids were playing through behind me, so I'm writing that one off.

Which do you like better - Zebulon or Valley Springs?

The Ch Boss is a kinda dull orange. Has my name and number, but if you find it, KEEP IT. I leave it all up to disc golf karma. If you ever make it up here to Winter Park, I'll offer you a tasty cold beer for it in exchange. The only disc I'd really like back is that Impact because I had 3 aces with it, but a group of 20 kids were playing through behind me, so I'm writing that one off.

Cool, did you actually hear a splash? :)

I did play Valley Springs Blues, including some of those blue baskets that were way beyond reasonable - or at least a long spectacular tree threading drive required to the white pin, then another 100-200' to the long pin. Some of the blue tees like 16 and 18 were ridonkulous almost. In looking at my scorecard I shot 57. I skipped foremoor, because the whole course was real repetitive, FUN, but repetitively boring, so I decided to haul back to UNC for another round at 430pm before dark.

That's kind of funny b/c Fore moor are the least repetitive holes on that course, they're very similar to UNC I think. On the downside they leave you a world away from the parking lot.

And now that I think about it, why did you throw a boss on that hole?

Sidearm, because I lost my Impact at Valley Springs.

Dave, I liked playing Valley a lot but it was so repetitive that I'd say Zebulon inched it out. I crave variety on courses.

That's kind of funny b/c Fore moor are the least repetitive holes on that course, they're very similar to UNC I think. On the downside they leave you a world away from the parking lot.

Tis okay, being able to play UNC twice surely outweighed missing the 'foremoor' at Valley Springs.

You should play it, and be ready for a mega challenge compared to anything else in the area (that I've now played anyway).

I've played it multiple times. The best was early in its life before they had start putting multiple pins and tees every where. They had a better than average course like a year ago that needed some work on the fairways to clear up dumb trees and then needed to be played for a year or so to let the rough get beat down. I remember going out there with a couple of friends about 3 months later after telling them how much potential the course had and how it's gotta be better by now only to find out instead of doing all the necessary work they just built like 30 new teepads and moved baskets to dumb spots.

What was one reviewer talking about squandering $80,000? Was there something in the news about a grant or something for the course? $80k is so far out of whack for a disc golf course, that I don't even know what could be improved upon for that much money, even having 3 permament pins and 3 concrete launch pads per hole on a 36 hole course would be hard pressed to reach $80k without a ton of heavy equipment construction costs.

Is middle creek open during school days or is that trespassing? I live in the area but haven't hit MC or UNC but would like to in the upcoming weeks.

Middle Creek's stairs down to hole 15's basket cost like $20-30k supposedly.

Those are elaborate stairs! I commented that they must have gotten the okay just because the stairs could also be used by other patrons like joggers, walkers, etc. Disc golf courses are like the black sheep, they don't get stairs like that, at least around here! We'd have to buy our own railroad ties and stakes and then install them all ourselves too by cutting the stairs into the earth with shovels.

Latest posts