• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] RDG Croc: Stable Mid-Range

It's where Davey Mac figured out the Wizard flight plate. :|

True story: When I met Davey Mac, he was moonlighting as a wholesale Lightning discs distributor. Lightning had a disc display rack system and he was getting racks of Lightning discs in stores. Somewhere around '95 he switched to distributing Discraft and St. Louis had these Lightning display racks full of Discraft discs. Steve Howle told me he was going to sue him for it, not sure if he actually did or not. At any rate, that really thin in the middle tapering to the shoulder flight plate that the Gateway putter have was on a lot of the old Lightning discs.

I was thinking about that. I may have them flat top some when we run the Fossil batch
I'd actually be really interested to see this mold in a Champ-type plastic (which is weird, I'm Mr. DX.) The larger diameter on it should help out with the "glideless turd" effect a lot of old molds get transitioning to Champ. It might be a more stable $$$ version like a Z Comet is.

I'd actually be really interested to see this mold in a Champ-type plastic (which is weird, I'm Mr. DX.) The larger diameter on it should help out with the "glideless turd" effect a lot of old molds get transitioning to Champ. It might be a more stable $$$ version like a Z Comet is.

Unfortunately the lightning molds can't handle urethane.

The best option would be a polypropylene mix which is like some Evo/Pro.

The Croc isn't massive diameter though. It's right in line with a Roc. I'd love to see a premium #1 Hookshot though!

Maybe? It gave it a good FH grip without still having enough dome for good glide though.

Between the descriptive and plane names I can't always keep them straight though.

This announcement forced me to go digging through my old bins to find a Blackbird to throw. I found two, both cosmetically rough, but to my surprise threw really well, only wish there was a more pronounced bead, but if they were stabled up just a bit could be pretty great little 225 foot or so shapers.

(Not to derail but I also found some Millennium stuff I forgot about in the same bin...old EXP1s, 1.7 and 1.8 Sentinels...I am going to have fun this week)

The toughest part wont be deciding if I will buy the Croc...it will be how many Crocs will I initially buy?

This is all I can think of with the name Croc, and I don't even own a pair...

Don't get too carried away JB or this could be you.
nathalie_belgium.jpg

Sorry in advance for nerding out here...

Maybe? It gave it a good FH grip without still having enough dome for good glide though.

So many benefits! I also like the shallower feel for FH grip, which thickening the flight plate near the outside accomplishes.

But also, YES, a flight plate that gets thicker as you move farther from the center is one way that you can "improve" the gyroscopic properties of a disc. By "improve" I mean that the mass moment of inertia about the primary axis of rotation increases, so you get more angular momentum at the same spin rate. Angular momentum is what helps discs "hold a line" by resisting severe turn/fade flight characteristics.

Radially dependent flight plate thickness is a different method from--but the same basic theory and effect of--increasing mass density as you move away from the center of the disc. That's the underlying premise behind "bubbles-in-the-flight-plate" blizzard discs, and [Trademarked!] GYRO rims in MVP/Axiom discs.

Unfortunately the lightning molds can't handle urethane.

The best option would be a polypropylene mix which is like some Evo/Pro.

The Croc isn't massive diameter though. It's right in line with a Roc. I'd love to see a premium #1 Hookshot though!

What about the Lightning molds makes them unsuitable for use with urethanes? Does it have to do with the temperatures/pressures required to inject urethane into the mold?

I've looked, but never found a good explanation of the polymer compositions used in different disc materials.

So is urethane typically used in most champ/Z blends? (High durability, more on the transparent side)

What are the differences in composition as you move up in durability from baseline to premium in opaque plastics? (Eg. DX to Pro to Star) Does degree of polymerization play a role there?

...What about the Lightning molds makes them unsuitable for use with urethanes?
So is urethane typically used in most champ/Z blends?

My guess is the mold volume is so great that the urethane versions would all be overweight.

Yes, Champ and Z are mostly urethane (last I heard.)

I could see liking this as a workhorse mid in a Fossil or Evo type plastic. Especially if you do some cool stamps on it!

My guess is the mold volume is so great that the urethane versions would all be overweight.

Yes, Champ and Z are mostly urethane (last I heard.)

Could be that.

Could have something to do with the actual set up of the mold (injection point, venting, steel vs. Aluminum)

I honestly don't have a concrete answer, I just know that I'm going to attempt to create some killer baselines/semi premium blends that enhance the durability of these classic molds.

Could be that.

Could have something to do with the actual set up of the mold (injection point, venting, steel vs. Aluminum)

I honestly don't have a concrete answer, I just know that I'm going to attempt to create some killer baselines/semi premium blends that enhance the durability of these classic molds.

That's great news! I used to throw some Lightning back in the day.

Sounds good to me, my bag was mostly lightning for a while. I used to love their swirl plastic, grippy and semi durable.

Since everyone is reminiscing about the old Lightning discs and breathing new life back into them. Has anyone tried their new Warbird Edition plastic yet? It appears to only be for the rubber putter currently but looking for feedback on it.

Since everyone is reminiscing about the old Lightning discs and breathing new life back into them. Has anyone tried their new Warbird Edition plastic yet? It appears to only be for the rubber putter currently but looking for feedback on it.

There is a company who only makes rubber discs......or did you mean the only rubber disc from Lighting?

Latest posts