• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Roc for putting

blang

Birdie Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Putting with a Roc.... or something else

I have used a Lightning Upshot 167 grams for a while now but as my distance has improved It feels a little too floppy and feels as if it will not be good for putts over 25 feet. I have been using a Roc for mid range and approach and have found that I have similar success with the Upshot and the Roc under 20 feet but feel more comfortable with the Roc between 15 to 25 feet. I also have had similar results as the Roc with a 170 gram shark and a 180 gram shark. I have tried 146 and 149 gram shark but both seem to be effected by the wind too much for my liking. I also tried a Birdie. It was straight but seems to float in the air too much.

It seems that I need a straight, wind resistant putter that will grab the chains and not go far if I miss the basket. I also know that the Roc is not used by anyone I have ever seen as a putter so I am looking for suggestions. I have also noticed the Roc has more turn than the Upshot over 25 feet. I know the common answer would be to "use what feels best" but I have not tried every disk to know what should be on my short list to actually try. I want the straightness of the upshot but the feel of the rock. I would also like the other advantages that come with a typical putter.

Should I,

1) use the Roc. (it is not typical but could be a good putter)
2) Use one of your heavy sharks. (They are close to a Roc but will act more like what you want.)
2) use the Upshot. (it will grab the chains and provide the typical advantages of a putter.)
3) Use "fill in the blank" (it will prove the best of all worlds)

I have looked into the Classic Roc, variations of the Challenger, Magnet, Putt'r, and Aviar online but have no way to know what would be best for me.

I always say use what works. I use an Aviar for loft and pitch putts. For putts between 15 and 25 feet I use an Optimizer. And for longer putts I use either a Roc or an Aurora.

Ive always used aviars as putters and i've heard from most people thats their putter of choice also. As far as the plastic goes I guess its just your opinion but I use a 150 Star Avair as my putter and as my mid-range disc. I like the 150 weight over a heavy putter too because I have pretty good stability on my throws to begin with, but also because I can use it as mid range becasue its so light, sometimes I even use it off of the drive if I need a nice straight safty shot.

The reason I don't use a mid-range like a Roc or Shark to putt is the "Blow By" factor. Midranges have more glide (just a function of a farther flying disc) so if you get one up chain-high and miss, it is going to sail on by and leave you a loooonnnnggggg comeback. An overstable putter like a big bead Aviar, a Wizard or a Challenger will allow you to take a shot at the putt, but if you miss they will stall and fade out, leaving you a closer comeback putt. I'd recommend picking up one of those three putters.

Blang wrote:It seems that I need a straight, wind resistant putter that will grab the chains and not go far if I miss the basket. I also know that the Roc is not used by anyone I have ever seen as a putter so I am looking for suggestions. I have also noticed the Roc has more turn than the Upshot over 25 feet. I know the common answer would be to "use what feels best" but I have not tried every disk to know what should be on my short list to actually try. I want the straightness of the upshot but the feel of the rock. I would also like the other advantages that come with a typical putter.

First of all, ask any Pro and I'm pretty sure you are going to hear that you should be using a PUTTER. Second I don't personally know of any putters that are wind resistant. They just don't make them. To be wind resistant you must learn the wind, and the only way to learn the wind is too play in it, frequently. I make it a point to play in the wind as much as possible. When I putt in the wind I make as low a profile stance as I can without hurting myself. I also take a great deal off my throw, meaning I barely even toss it. Let the wind work it out!
Now as far as finding something similar to the Roc. I think you are asking the wrong question. The question should be what is good to putt with. Get the Roc out of your head. It isn't a putter and it doesn't act like a putter, so nothing is going to fly like a Roc.. So your back at square one. You must learn a putter of some sorts, regardless. Trust me this is the only route to take, no drivers, no midranges, putters only! Remember putters are putters and they fly completely different than any other disc out there. So if you are having problems with them you probably aren't throwing them right. So how do you throw them right? This depends on your putting style. Do you putt in the traditional way of straight forward with your lead leg in front and your follow though leg in the back(Like the PDGA logo) or do you putt sideways like you would use for a drive or upshot? If you putt straight forward than you need a putter that is a little faster than something you would use for a sideways putt. For sideways putting you need something much slower. That is because you are using "touch". It is a very controlled shot that does not require much.
So what putters are good? That is going to boil down to what works with your stance. The only way to know is too try. Buy as many different putters as you can and try them all, repeatedly. Putting doesn't just happen in five minutes. I have been playing for 15 years and putting is still my demon. You can never learn or putt too much. I putt about 200 putts every 2 days and have been for close to 2 years. I still am not as good as I would like to be.

So what are some good putters?
Innova: XD
Aviar
Birdie
DIscraft: Soft challenger
Challenger
Gateway: Wizard
Quest AT: Magic

Try them all!!!!! Also remember that most putters are a little overstable. That means that you need to throw them with a fudge of anhyzer to make them come back to the left, and hit right side of chains.
The only disc you should be careful with is the XD. It is very low profiled and flys a lot faster than most. IT WILL GO RIGHT THROUGH THE CHAINS, OR BOUNCE OFF IF NOT DEAD CENTER. The XD is a more advanced disc. I throw them but I didn't until recently. I waited a long time to learn that one!
Hope this helps you some!!!!!!!!
Just get rid of the ROC and the idea of how it throws! It will only make you better. And remember practice makes perfect, or it is supposed to!:D

Also "use what feels best" is not the common answer!!!!!:D Use what works best is!!!!

I make most of my putts with a Classic Roc, it is not a "putter" but it has been for me for years. I have two pro friends who swear by them as well. I personally carry one in DX(left to right longer putts to get around trees or whatever), Pro(straight hard putts), and Champion for when the wind is up or the pro is flying right for whatever reason. I also like the Sonic for a left to right putter because even if I don't get the angle right if I put enough on it it won't fade and take me out of my comfort range. I have used a wizard/challenger/aviar as well. My first disc ever was a dx aviar and it is very similiar to the classic roc. When I practice I still mix the old aviar in with the rocs and really can't tell the difference in the two for my style. I have also found that when I get in a funk putting with a driver can help get me straight just as driving with a mid range can settle me down with driving as well.

I try to avoid anny putting for the same reason I don't use a mid...the glide. If you anny putt and miss, you blow-by and the disc flattens out and glides for a mile. I hyzer putt with an overstable putter. It is easier to adjust to windy conditions and it cuts down on the blow-by distance.

I try to avoid understable putters for the same reason. They will glide farther. That was the tricky part of the XD to me...controlling to glide. The Classic Roc is actually a better putter because it is essentially an XD with a big bead. To me it is easier to use an overstable putter and adjust how hard you toss it for long distance putts than it is to use a less stable putter for long putts and try to control that glide.

If there is a windy putter, it is the Rhyno. It has essentially no glide and is as resistant to wind as anything I've tried. That being said, I would not recommend changing putters in windy conditions. You are better off picking a putter and learning how to throw it in all weather conditions.

Don't forget the Omega SS and the Magnet. Also two good putters to try. Also, go to the local course, or get a practice basket, and practice putting over and over. Don't practice during play.

If you want something to hold a line, grab chains, and not blow past the basket, I suggest a Wizard in either Soft or Supersoft at about 174g-175g. I used a Star Aviar for the past 2 years. I recently broke down and bought a Wizard and a Warlock (bought the Warlock just for kicks). The switch has shaved about 2-3 strokes off per round for me. I am much more accurate from 20-40 feet with the Wizard. People say they are the same but i'm not sure I believe them. But, like others have said, the only way to find out what is best for "you" is to try out a variety of putters.

I'll second (or is it third?) the Wizard suggestion. I recently switched from a champion Aero to a Soft Wizard and it helped immensely and shaved a least 4 strokes off. I recently picked up a Supersoft Wizard. Man! I love that disc! Much more grippy so it doesn't slip out of my hand and I can just set it on a line that it will hold for a while. Now I've started using the Soft one as a longer distance putter so as not to mess up the Supersoft and it's been working great.

I've heard of a lot of people using the Wizards lately. Must really be a good disc. I have never used one. Im happy with my XD, and yes it was quite challenging to learn the Anhyzer route. As someone stated you do have a tendency to blow-by and glide out. It took a lot of practice but I rarely do that now a days. It is defiantly a high difficulty disc.

How does a soft Wizard compare to an Omega SS?
For putting...pretty similar. The Wizard is more overstable, but where it really shines is on the tee. The Wizard is hands-down the longest driving putter on the market for guys with good arm speed. So since it putts just as well as anything and bombs off the tee, a lot of people carry it.

I have terrible arm speed, and I get better D from an Omega. I can put some hyzer on an Omega, and it will flatten out and glide a long way. If I put hyzer on a Wizard, it starts left and stays left and it will fade out short of where I'll put an Omega.

Once you get inside the 10 M circle, there is not a lot of difference between an Aviar, an Omega, a Challenger, a Magnet, a Wizard or a Warlock. The big bead Aviar, the Challenger and the Wizard have a bead and will be a little bit more LSS when putting. The main difference is how they throw for distance.

Thanks for all the advice. FYI I do have an Innova sport basket to to practice putts and I get in about 100 putts a day when I am not on a course. That is how i found out that the Upshot was not helping me over 15 feet. At the time it was the only putter I had and I was using the Roc for mid range and approach because I read it held the ground better than any other disk in its class. I tried an Aviar yesterday and felt it was much better than the Upshot and stayed put better than the Roc. It felt fine in my hand. After reading the advice in the thread and the reviews on Discgolfreview.com I decided I was going to get a Wizard. This is how I came to my conclusion. I throw straight at 25 foot but throw a slight hyzer over 25. (might change with a wizard). I do not want the glide so I got the weight in the 174-175 range. I talked to Chris at marshallstreetdiscgolf.com and he told me I would do well with a Soft instead of a super soft, or SSS. If I like the Wizard I am going to buy 4 more for practice, if I do not like it I think I will try the also highly recommended classic Roc next. Feel free to comment if you think I am going in the right or wrong direction. I hesitated to post this follow up because I did not want to discourage anyone form letting me know what they thought. If you have anything to add please let me know. I will post my results when my Wizard arrives.

If you have anything to add please let me know. I will post my results when my Wizard arrives.
I'd recommend learning to putt with a stable putter (Wizard, Aviar, Magnet, Challenger, Banger, Warlock). If you want to move to something else after you've learned with one of those then it's up to you, but learning with one of those discs will benefit you the most. As a bouns, they also tend to make the best approach discs, too.

I might be the only one, but I putt with an Aerobie Arrow. I was terrible at putting when I started, and would often have my Aviar PnA blow-by the basket. I would get the right height, but always too little or too much fade, or just too much power and a clink off the chains. I was struggling to fine tune how much hyzer to account for in where i aimed.

Anyways, the Arrow goes straight, and drops the moment it hits anything, so even if you miss, it will not go far. Now that I have gotten better and more confident in my putting, i am starting to look at other putters, like the omega supersoft, for putting around obstacles. However, I think the Aerobie arrow is a great beginning putter and approach disc, if you want something that will fly STRAIGHT but not zip way past the basket.

This thing is so accurate that if I undershoot a putt, 90% of the time it hits the basket lip or pole dead on and bounces off, parking right there for a gimme.

Its a stiffer material than most putters, but its weird shape allows it to park.

I have been throwing the Wizard for 2 weeks and I am very pleased I have 6 from the same run and rotate them every round so they all will break in evenly. I practice form 15, 20, 25, and 30 feet with 50 putts form each location and I am seeing noticeable improvement. It is showing during rounds as well. The wizard has a couple of nice characteristics.
1. even if I miss, I am always within 10 feet for the easy second shot.
2. It is a very straight and great for approach and short hole drives.

Thanks for the advice. I have already converted an Aviar putter to the Wiz and he is just as pleased.

I have actually started using a Star Coyote as my Putter. It has the same HSS and LSS as the XD but is one number higher on the glide scale. I like my putters to have a hair more glide. I have learned to control my Coyote to minimize blow by and gliding past the basket. I would not recommend it for everyone, but it works great for me. I just never found a putter I liked. Since switching, I have take 5 strokes off my game.

Your Old Putter Works Fine-Renew It!

Do you know why changing putters when playing ball golf can sometimes improve your putting for a short while? It is the same reason for us in the disc golf world when trying a new putter.

It is because when you change putters, you are focusing and paying closer attention than you have been with your old one. It's because it feels a little different and you naturally try real hard to pay attention so you can figure out how to make it work. If you take that same intensity with your regular putter, never take it for granted that you know everything there is to putting with your old putter, AND continue trying to figure it out, will make you putt better. Doing this should make you putt better and make your old putter feel new again. This should get you back to focusing on making good putts.

Donovan's advice is very sound and would be worth trying.

If you still find you would like a change or further options, I have been using a 168g Innova Gator. I like the feel of the disc and it doesn't have a lot of glide. There is hardly any turn and little fade. It has been a pretty solid performer for both putting and approach shots.

Another disc I have liked for put & approach is a heavy (180g) Innova Shark. If your throw is off very much, the glide becomes a factor and, like several others have stated, may leave you far from the hole.
Hope this info is of some use.

Latest posts