• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient's Catalyst Medium Backpack

Second is that there is a ton of room BEHIND the discs in a fully loaded bag. You can put an extra disc behind them (pictured). I can pull the disc out with one finger. Put the disc on top of the others and just push it straight back.

I used to do this with my Contender... Loved putting extras that I needed just for a couple of shots back there.

Just got to take my catalyst out for a quick round. It was raining heavily and the bag did well. The antidote acted a bit strange but im a little rusty. Ill be doing a full review later.

Okay, I got my bag a few days ago and just now am getting a chance to check it out.

Fist impressions, I love the color, I got the lime green/grey color scheme, I was afraid the grey was going to be way more shiny then it is and am super happy about how it looks in person.

Second is the bag feels great, rides high enough on the back and feels nice and comfy even loaded down, I have 17 discs in the main compartment, two in each side compartment, and two in the GGI slot. Storage wise there is plenty of storage for everything I need, I can fit a large sweater in the side pocket just fine with room left over.

The GGI slot works fine for me, I moved the insert back like people said and also bent it down a bit and I can fit two wizards in there just fine, it's a little snug to close the flap but it still closes.

The mini pocket to me is useless for a mini, but is still useful for a couple small things (chap stick, band-aids) to go in there, the top compartment works fine also, I fit my keys, wallet and cell phone in there perfectly so it suits all the needs I have. Also the two side D rings are nice and high to keep my towel off the ground.

Last is discs are a bit tight to get out of the ends but it's not that big of a deal to me, I can deal with having to turn and bend one disc if that's the only issue.

Overall, the bag is everything I wanted and more, It's the perfect size for what I need, feels great, looks great, and the price was exactly where I wanted it to be.

Review

Before i post my own review, as promised before I am stating that I am a sales and customer service rep for Salient Discs. This bag was given to me as a payment for the work I have done for the company and though this already makes it a biased review, I will do my best to keep everything as neutral as possible.

First, some pictures:
Just out of the box
2uy3nth.jpg

Side view
2ynp5py.jpg

Back view
2ekiq9u.jpg

Inside the highest zippered pouch
11m4agy.jpg

Inside the mini pouch
30w8sgp.jpg

GGIS (after fiddling)

So now that you have enjoyed the pictures, let's move on to the review. The bag upon taking it out of the box felt sturdy. I went along the seams, really took some time feeling the material and it is 1000D Cordura. The same material that makes up GRIP, Gorilla Box, Big Hyzer, etc. There are zipper pulls on all the zippers, (soon to be replaced by custom pulls) and the zippers are buttery smooth as someone else had mentioned before.

The Color scheme, like others have said, is not as bad as I thought it was going to be. It is actually really growing on me, and I have a feeling I will get asked what this bag is a lot on the course which I am really looking forward too.

The top handle is just as sturdy as my contender, not rubber but a very hard plastic that will hold up just as well i am sure.

I am still amazed that a bag this thin can carry this much. Granted it isn't as much as I am used to carrying, but I am trying to disc down and have prepared for it the past few months until this bag arrived.

In the main compartment I am carrying 17 discs up front plus a new helium prometheus and a new medium sinus behind those. Based on that you could keep an extra 3 drivers behind the discs up front which could come in handy especially if you don't want to keep your utility discs up front. The cool part about that is there is so much room in that main compartment that you can't feel those discs pushing up against your back when it is on there. So if you have trouble discing down like I do, you can still keep about 20 discs max in the main compartment depending on your set up. As I said before this is a very versatile bag and right now it is proving it.

Right now I have 6 Distance Drivers, 7 Fairway Drivers and 4 Mids up front with the Prometheus and Sinus in the back. Iacas was completely right about pulling discs from the edge especially if you have that many discs in the main. I am keeping my mid range discs in the middle so it is a little easier to get drivers out of the edge but not much. I have to hold the bag to get it out. Scratch that...the reason why it is harder to get the discs out the edge is NOT because of the more rounded shape of the flap. It could make it easier if it were less rounded but the real culprit is the flap of the compartment. That flap lowers the ceiling of the main compartment when it is tucked behind the discs so the top of the disc drag along the flap making it harder to pull the disc out. So just for function sake I am going to leave that flap down when i play these next few rounds (when i get the chance) and see if lifting the flap every time is going to be a hassle. Whether the flap is down or behind though, pulling discs from the middle is not a problem. I will say I had problems with my contender and discs falling out. With how secure these discs are in, and with how deep the compartment is, I don't see my discs falling out at all which is comforting.

The GGIS, based on the other reviews, did not take long to figure out. I readjusted it and it hold my blend judges perfectly. Not too tight, not too lose. The bottom judge is a little harder to get out based on the lip of the GGIS interfering, but with a little tug, I can pull it out with one hand. I am definitely leaving the box in there. That is where i am keeping my putters and that is how they are staying, divided. i can velcro the flap part of the way with one hand and if i work at it a little, velcro it all the way with the bulge of the putters against it. After leaving it like that all night, velcroing the flap does NOT bend the putters, and these are blend judges. Since i am keeping my main compartment flap down I am also keeping the GGIS flap down and i can still get a disc out with ease from the compartment.

The first main side storage compartment I tested thoroughly and this is my result. It can hold a hoodie, it can hold jeans, it can hold shoes, it can hold a stool, it can hold a water bladder and other things of that nature. HOWEVER, this is very important to note. The bulge from the item, pours into the main compartment...so if you have a hoodie in both pockets that bulge from the bottom of the pocket affects your main compartment...this was disappointing in a way but i don't carry two hoodies in Texas so it won't be a big deal to me. For those in colder areas, this means it will be much harder to pull your discs if you have 17 stored in there because you have forces from both sides pushing them closer together. Be weary of that. With a stool in one pocket and a water bladder in the other, I can still pull discs out quite easily which is good because I will have a water bottle in the winter not a bladder and I won't have a hoodie in the summer so I can keep the bladder. In the end it all works out for the Southern golfers, maybe not so much for you Northern golfers.

The Bottom side pocket can hold 2 putters and a mid, 3 mids, 4 drivers, etc. If you are in a tourney, you can hold a good number of discs in these pockets if needed

These straps are very similar to the Physical flight straps. The only difference is they are Cordura, not Ballistic Nylon. The back is padded just enough for comfort, not overly padded, not under padded. I do with there was some sort of holder on the straps for the a water bladder hose though.

You can hook a towel or a set of keys on the plastic rings on the side just like the Physical Flight bags.

The Top zippered section CANNOT HOLD A PUTTER YET. I think as the bag breaks in it will be able to hold a go to putter up top if you don't have to use that pocket for your phone keys wallet etc. I see now what everyone is saying about this pocket. It could be expanded but not down. If it is possible the seam of the top of the pocket could be extended BACK and attached the the back of the bag rather than the front making a bigger more effective pocket.

The mini pocket holds a mini but doesn't zipper down into the pocket. It is the perfect size for my iphone though so I can play music out loud and reach my phone quickly if needed. The pencil pockets being up top are so much better than on the contender being on the bottom.

The rubber feet are the same feet from all physical flight bags. They grip the ground on un even terrain and help keep the bag balanced.

The grommeted water bottle holders are very nice and they are insulated this time around, a very nice touch.

Well that is it. i covered everything about this bag. I haven't gotten to use it yet, but just walking around the house with it on, it rides high on the back, its a thin profile bag so nothing really sticks out and its fairly light, definitely lighter than a contender. I think this will be my favorite backpack out of the ones I have used.

Sorry for the side ways pictures. Tinypic wasn't cooperating today
xdypv5.jpg

Main Compartment (with 2 discs behind the 17 in the front)
smys1k.jpg

Bag fully loaded in the front (GGIS flap tucked under with main compartment flap
dvgf45.jpg

Bag loaded, full view with stool
fuu97n.jpg

Bag loaded up with stool in one pocket and water bladder in the other
262thk8.jpg

I don't think the top slot will ever hold a putter. It's not even close, and that's a zipper with stitched corners and seams - it's not like it's going to stretch.

I put a small foam noodle in the front edge of my Contender and haven't had discs fall out since. Some bag should include a rounded foam piece on the bottom. Velcro it in and it'd work really well. Almost like a little foam Innova U Channel thingy. I disagree that it's the top flap that makes it difficult: I think it's a combination of the lower ceiling due to the GGIS as well as the rounded edges.

I don't think the top slot will ever hold a putter. It's not even close, and that's a zipper with stitched corners and seams - it's not like it's going to stretch.

I put a small foam noodle in the front edge of my Contender and haven't had discs fall out since. Some bag should include a rounded foam piece on the bottom. Velcro it in and it'd work really well. Almost like a little foam Innova U Channel thingy. I disagree that it's the top flap that makes it difficult: I think it's a combination of the lower ceiling due to the GGIS as well as the rounded edges.

it's just what I observed, it was noticeably easier because I could pull all the way up then out rather than pulling straight out and the flap interfering with the natural upward movement of pulling the disc out.

I am looking at them on my phone, and they are still ridiculously oversized.

it's just what I observed, it was noticeably easier because I could pull all the way up then out rather than pulling straight out and the flap interfering with the natural upward movement of pulling the disc out.

You're talking about a quarter of an inch, if that - the thickness of the flap.

It wouldn't have cost much to put some velcro on the flap and the back of the bag - they could have extended the velcro that's already there for the GGIS - like the Grip to hold that flap up as well.

You're talking about a quarter of an inch, if that - the thickness of the flap.

It wouldn't have cost much to put some velcro on the flap and the back of the bag - they could have extended the velcro that's already there for the GGIS - like the Grip to hold that flap up as well.

I will probably just add that velcro myself then.

I haven't had any problem with any of my physical flight bags. I will take my chances for the better function of the bag

You're rep the company. Someone might read your post and say "if the company rep is doing it, it must be okay!" You're encouraging warranty-breaking behavior, or promoting it.

These are the types of things that probably don't occur to you, but hopefully they start to soon.

You're rep the company. Someone might read your post and say "if the company rep is doing it, it must be okay!" You're encouraging warranty-breaking behavior, or promoting it.

These are the types of things that probably don't occur to you, but hopefully they start to soon.

It sounds more like he has confidence in the bag to me. If I owned this bag, my decision to modify it (and void the warranty) would be made on something more concrete than something someone else said. Anyone that would is an utter moron in my opinion.

It sounds more like he has confidence in the bag to me. If I owned this bag, my decision to modify it (and void the warranty) would be made on something more concrete than something someone else said. Anyone that would is an utter moron in my opinion.

Thank you tbird, but just in case I will make it clear. This is my bag, and I as the owner of the bag have made a personal decision to make a modification to it. That decision is based on my past experience with these bag makers and the confidence I have in the quality of this bag by the same maker. To anyone else, think long and hard before making any modifications and voiding the warranty.

Gee, then it's a good thing the world is not full of morons that can cause headaches by doing stupid things because they saw someone else (a company rep, even) doing it!

More seriously though: I've never had a problem with any of my PF bags either, but I'm not a company rep.

Last edited:

Latest posts