• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient's Catalyst Medium Backpack

Have you tried putting the mids in the middle? I ended up doing that when I was carrying a revo dual pack that had the same issue with the discs on the sides. Putting smaller diameter drivers on both ends made it a little easier.

Nah. I'll do a little to conform to limitations of my bag, but not stuff like this. At this point I feel like I'll use my Grip before I'll use my Catalyst. Roughly the same storage, but easier to get discs in and out.

I'm pretty sure stretching is inevitable in bags. The side pockets on my Ergo certainly did. They are actually somewhat usable for more than scorecards now.

I'm pretty sure stretching is inevitable in bags. The side pockets on my Ergo certainly did. They are actually somewhat usable for more than scorecards now.

Eh. Maybe. But I made a video, so you'll see and can judge for yourself. I already took the top plastic out, too, so I'm giving it a lot more room than intended to "stretch" already.

Eh. Maybe. But I made a video, so you'll see and can judge for yourself. I already took the top plastic out, too, so I'm giving it a lot more room than intended to "stretch" already.

sweet, cant wait to see that video

Sailent Catalyst Review

So I got my Catalyst today and as many know I'm not a Sailent fan so this is an unbiased review and then some! Lol

Here it goes:
Overall design: I like it, it looks better in person, does not feel cheap, seems well made and looks good.

Comfort: Ive had quite a few bags and this and my grip are equal as far as comfort level. The catalyst I can actually get on and off easier.

Storage: Holds 18 for me in the main, the side lower compartments easily fit another 2 discs I only tried my 2 rhynos and they fit easily. The side top compartments hold as much as a grip or more. The very top zippered pocket is worthless and the mini pocket is too shallow and a tad wide.

Handle feels nice, feet seem good, overall I like it and I'm happy with it. Its not a Grip but its more bang for the buck at $119 I paid now at $179 I would choose a grip for sure. But if it was the catalyst or the retooled Ranger I would take the catalyst.

Kind of mixed review its been a long day but if anyone has questions I will answer for sure.

so, who all got their bags today? just Iacas?

Mine should be on my porch waiting for me when I get home. That is unless UPS passed it off the the USPS like they do from time to time around here. In that case my lazy mailman will take it with him tomorrow, leave a note in my mailbox that I can pick it up at the post office in town anytime after 4:30pm, which is when the windows close, of course.

#firstworldproblems

I got my bag today, including a HOT PINK Antidote. I got to check the bag out quickly but was forced to return it to the box, it is now a Christmas present!! Looks good from what little I got to look at it. With 4" of snow on the ground here in Ohio, glad my Antidote is pink!! It will be "in the air" Christmas morning!!

Thanks for the unbiased and level review.
Enjoy the bag and keep us posted as you begin to "wear it in".

So what's the consensus on the side storage? I remember vthompson saying he had a tough time fitting even a small hoodie in, but others seem to be having no issues. Did vthompson get a bag that wasn't up to specs, or can a hoodie really not fit in it?

So what's the consensus on the side storage? I remember vthompson saying he had a tough time fitting even a small hoodie in, but others seem to be having no issues. Did vthompson get a bag that wasn't up to specs, or can a hoodie really not fit in it?

could have been how it was rolled up? I'm pretty sure there was nothing wrong with his pocket

I got my gray/black bag today.

I'm happy to report that it is 100% intact and I'm very pleased with it based on my initial impressions. I'm going to let it thaw for a few hours before I go much further, as it's been sitting on my front door step out of the sun on a day that topped out at 10 degrees (before the snow started this afternoon and left about an inch of powder on it) since 8:30AM.

Initial observations coming from a Gateway bag:
+1st thing I did was test the beverage holders for Gatorade bottle holding. Check. Take that Gateway bag.
+All of the zippers operate very smoothly. Those on the Gateway were plenty rugged, but they take a good tug to get them to move. These are like butter.
+The straps also a huge upgrade - very supportive, wide, and easy to adjust. The Catalyst sits much higher than the Gateway and that's going to help my back.
+I can see what people mean about the top pouch and wasted space. To me, it fits exactly what I need it to, so not a big deal. I personally think it's a tad bigger than some of the initial accounts. I don't think it's 6" of depth either, but it spreads apart pretty good.
+I'm not sure what kind of flash Kilgus had on his camera with those initial shots, but there is almost no cheap silver sheen to the gray at all. It looks fantastic in person.

Initial complaints/concerns:
-I need to lose weight. The bag riding that high looks a little goofy on me. Hopefully I can still fix that for next season and that's not the bag's fault, though it's worth noting if you're...top heavy. Regardless of looks, it feels good.
-The go-get-it slot is a bit too shallow for my Judges, even with the divider out. I'll update this point after it thaws though. As of right now, the flap will only close at the edges. Still, it would take a lot to get them to fall out with the angle being what it is.

That's all for now. Pictures and more thoughts later!