• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Seattle to Socal 6 days, where do I play

Hey Lion,

Just a few notes below. I have put two * by the courses that you should NOT bail off of if you have to alter your schedule. And also marked those that I have not played yet (must go visit my in-laws in OR again soon - obviously!).

Car camping at the Yurt at Whistler's is a good call (but looks like you are planning to spend the night elsewhere that night).

Corvallis might be fun for one of your sleepovers (small college town) but it looks like you would have to bail on Tadmor to make that happen.

Missed seeing your WA schedule but I like White River in Seattle area (Auburn) - (although Lakewood and Seatac - which are fun also - may be more easily reached). Fort Steilacoom is pretty cool too - especially the Hobson's Grove section!

I was thinking of playing those in 4 days.

Day 2 Oregon

Leverich Park rating 3.55 (have not played)
Dabney State Park rating 3.84
Timber park rating 3.79
Milo Mclver State Park rating 4.60 **

Day 3 Oregon

Pier Park rating 4.42 **
Horning Hideout Meadow ridge rating 4.70 **
Horning Hideout Canyon course rating 4.15
Horning hideout Highland course rating 3.68 (maybe bail on this one)
L.L. Stub Stewart Park rating 3.64 (have not played - I see - 10 miles from Hornings - cool!)

Day 4 Oregon

Jerry Miller DGC rating 3.70 (have not played - sounds fun and is close to your route)
Adair Park rating 3.96 **
Bryant Park rating 3.71
Willamette Park rating 3.83 **
Camp Tadmor rating 3.94 (sounds much better than 12 years ago when I played the 9 there)

Note - In Corvallis eat at Evergreen if you like indian food - American Dream has good Pizza and Beer - walking around this small college town is pretty cool

Day 5 Oregon

Dexter Park DGC rating 4.34
Whistlers Bend rating 4.56 **
Tom Pearce Park rating 3.73 (have not played - must get down to Grants Pass area)
Frog Creek DGC rating 3.61 (have not played)

i just back home from a trip to the left coast and I've played the washington left coast before as well. although I'm not a homey like probally all the other reviewers I just wanted to put in my 2 cents worth for whatever it is worth to ya.

If your driving down the I-5 from Seattle to Socal then I would play the SEATAC DGC, it's not as hard as your friend might think, IMHO it's more challenging and alot funner than Lakewood and in a better neighborhood. A tip that I've began doing at our area DGC that I found at the SEATAC DGC was the useage of electrical tape on the basket well that points the player to the next tee, great inovation and very effective.

Auburn was off the 405, but still close to the 5. I'm glad I had a guide on this DGC though. but it was a cool DGC to play.

all 3 DGC at Horning's Hideout are cool and should be played. I'm warmed up on the short one first and then played the "meadow" and then the "Canyon", I had a great guide (Jesse) at the Canyon and was glad I had a guide on that picticular DGC. LL Stub stewart is close to Horning's but you have to pay $5.00 to play one DGC whereas you only have to pay $ 3 to play all 3 at Hornings, so that's on you of what you want to play. Another thing about Portland.... WATCH your speed. I don't know how I didn't get pulled over because I was driving over the posted speed limit most of my weekend stay. I saw the blue lights on way to much for my comfort. I'd also hit Pier Park (that's one of my favorites). I'd didn't get to any of the DGC near Estacada (Already looking for my return trip to Portland).

Bryant Park in Albany was very cool, though there are long walks between the holes and if your not looking for the orange tape, you won't find the holes as there's orange tape on the basket wells that point you in the direction of the next hole (Thanks to whomever did that there, I wish they had done that to the DGC in Keizer as I would recomend that DGC, but not without a guide or some kind of better signage than they already have. As I spent way to much time looking for the next tee at that DGC). Whistler's Bend is a must play. and go to the "OH MY GOD" tee instead of the "heaven's tee", it's about 100 ft further up the hill towards the watewr tower, but well worth the luanching fun you'll have when you play that hole.

Tom Pearce Park in Grants Pass is another cool DGC, cost a couple bucks but it well worth it. They could use better next tee signs here too. As I found myself wandering around looking for the next hole a couple times. The __ meyer grocery store in Grants Pass has anything you want that's legal. I found some great micro brews there to choose from. I know you are driving along the I-5 coridor so Cave Junction is a little out of the way, but if you feel like you want to sleep in a treehouse/ motel and play DG while your there, don't pass up the chance to do that there. The DGC is okay, but sleeping in a treehouse and playing DG while your there is exceptional and should be on everybodies list of things to do.

the Univ. of O.B. in Weed, Ca. is a cool DGC, you might find it difficult as I did finding a few holes even though all the holes are labeled well on the tee sign it still gets a little confusing, but it's still a good place to play and your right next to Mt. Shasta.

Red Bluff has a cool DGC. your friend might find it to his liking. I shot -6 under there blind.

I'd also try and play Peligrine Point in Chico, though its a little off of your I-5 road trip. but a guide is needed there and I highly recomend Jimbosprint. If it wasn't for his guidance I would of been lost as not only is the course hard to navigate, but the turn off from the road is hard to locate if you don't know where it is.

And the only other DGC I would recomend that's heading to SOCAL then would be Veterans park in Sylmar. Great Mexican restaurant across from the elementry school at the bottom of the hill before you head up the hill to get to the DGC, but beware its a heavily flavored Mexican neighborhood. I got the looks in the restaurant, but other than that it was all good. This DGC is home to the Rico brothers (Steve and Bamba, Good people), they have a DG store on the property and it costs a few bucks to play, which isn't a big deal and you can tell by all the cool improvements you'll find on the DGC.

hope I helped you a little. May the course be with you------------- - +:thmbup:

... Sylmar. Great Mexican restaurant across from the elementry school at the bottom of the hill before you head up the hill to get to the DGC, but beware its a heavily flavored Mexican neighborhood. I got the looks in the restaurant, but other than that it was all good....

What are you trying to say? I'm a white boy who lived right down the street from that mexican restaurant, and I never got any funny looks going in there. :)

PS. The mexican restaurant on Hubbard and Gladstone behind Yum-Yum donuts is better. :thmbup:

DSCJNKY

Willamette is a must play, but Dexter isn't? Are you nuts?

Bryant is way better than Adair and Willamette which he recommends and I agree Dexter is better than both of those as well.

And all I get to do is drop you fools off at the airport.... :(
Next time I'll be on the plane or in the car! :thmbup:

Well you know I will show you around if you make it up to Seattle. I owe you one...actually two. :)

Will give details in a few days once I reflect on the trip and all, but here are the courses I did play

Seatac
Lakwood Park
Dalaiwood
Lucky Mud
Trojan
Timber Park
Milo
Dabney
Pier Park
Hornings Meadow
Hornings Canyon
Hornings Highlands
Jerry Miller
Adair Park
Bryant Park
Willamette
Waterloo
Dexter
Whistlers Bend
Tom Pearce PArk
Black Butte Lake
Peregrine Point
Lava Creek DGC

23 courses, I did want to play Auburn and I did have time on my last day, but the person I traveled with wasnt feeling it and we just drove back home. I will post details in a few once I reflect and I appreciate all the help. Hey 15 of the top 20 courses in Oregon I got to play and 3 of the top 7 in washington, plus a view awesome ones in Cali.

Wow! You got a lot of the best courses played in the NW. I would be interested to see what your top 5 were. Great choices on the WA courses.

top 5 in no particular order were

Lucky mudd
whistlers bend
dexter
peregrine point
dalaiwood

pier park was right there aswell

How Horning's or Seatac is not in there boggles my mind. I think Dalaiwood and Lucky Mud are super overrated but that's just me.

horning was good, but the course felt to familuar to other courses I had played. Seatac was great but the last 5 holes kind of killed the flow and mojo. Cool, but some of those holes were just not necessary. I liked the flow of lucky mudd and the beauty and all. Great feeling there. Dalaiwood was awesome probably because I got to hang out with Scott Papa for awhile and he showed me a few things about the history and all of the course and the barn shot. Just great vibes there. Whistlers was probably the best. I shot great there, deer everywhere, weather held up, colors of the foilage, and great company playing with locals there.

Wow, I have to totally disagree with you about Seatac. The last five holes on that course are brilliant par four holes for anyone at around a 980 rating and below. Most of the people who complain about them get torn up the first couple of times playing it because they don't get those holes yet. That's the type of course you don't truly appreciate until you play it multiple times.

Well I played the last holes as par 3's because I was told from the locals that everything at SEatac was a three. I shot a 58 for my total round there. So 4 shots over. Other then hole 18 I got a 3 and 4's on those holes. 18 I got a 5. I threw rollers and had my share of birdies there. Just thought some of it was a little much. Why not spread out the long holes over the entire course, not just cluster them there at the end of a round. I played with a local aka dgcr's captain Jack. Thanks for the round Steve.

Wow, I have to totally disagree with you about Seatac. The last five holes on that course are brilliant par four holes for anyone at around a 980 rating and below. Most of the people who complain about them get torn up the first couple of times playing it because they don't get those holes yet. That's the type of course you don't truly appreciate until you play it multiple times.

Latest posts