• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Short stride

Moar things to think about!!!!!

When are one of yall gonna write a book about correction of form with detailed steps in sequence!!

$$

Last edited:
In an actual throw, the shoulders will be pointing more towards 1 o'clock when they "catch" and start tugging. The way they are in the diagram is more conceptual (eg: your arm should unwind, removing the slack, before your shoulders can tug). Living room test: Just stand frozen in position with your hand where it should be at the hit, and your shoulders pointing at 12 o'clock. Then begin rotating your torso and you'll see how far you have to go before your shoulder starts pulling your hand.

I've noticed on the videos that the shoulders appear to be open a bit when the disc ejects. Mine appear to be in different alignments when the disc goes, so I know I don't have that timing down.

Any drills I can do with that here at home are most welcome!

I'm sure you've done it but Bradley Walkers closed shoulder snap drill really helps isolate this motion. do it right and you can't help but feel the pivot and then get to add juice to the pivot and pull through it or in other words hammer it.

I'm blanking on that--I suspect I've not seen that drill. I'll search for it.
(Hmm, perhaps it's a good time to find the links for all the vids getting referenced and put them all together in one place. That would be an organized thing for me to do, eh? Tracking them down in different places over and over is not a good use of my time, I'd say.)

I find that seeing the individual aspects described and accompanied by photos and illos really helpful. I know much of my difficulty with the timing comes of so many years with either the arm way ahead of the shoulders, or (after trying to develop more a whipping motion) the arms too far behind. Being able to see where the arm should be at what point in the shoulder movement is a godsend.

I'm blanking on that--I suspect I've not seen that drill. I'll search for it.

bradley walker's closed shoulder snap drill:

@horsethief

here is the way [youtube]LffYBb1vQjQ[/youtube]

zMLwRI9.png

http://rowvid.com/?v=pydZpfecVD4

I like all this technique talk, but I will say there is minutia in it. I have to make my self stay away from these threads especially around tourney time because the last thing you want to be thinking about during a round is technique.

Well I was blocked from accessing facebook yesterday so my only online escape was this forum. After finding this thread I decided that the best thing to do for this weekends upcoming two tournaments was to read everything here and then immediately go out and try to change my form!

I slowed everything down and made sure to focus on feeling that I was hammering the disc toward the target and after a few holes I started to notice that it got much, much easier. The noticeable side product of it all was lower than expected flights. I'm assuming that was due to the disc finally flying nose down/flat rather than my constant nose up flight.

It's threads like these that keep me coming back to this forum. And in case anyone was wondering my max drive before reading this was a consistent 380 and now it's jumped to a massive 500' of internet distance.

After finding this thread I decided that the best thing to do for this weekends upcoming two tournaments was to read everything here and then immediately go out and try to change my form!

wise choice.

I slowed everything down and made sure to focus on feeling that I was hammering the disc toward the target and after a few holes I started to notice that it got much, much easier. The noticeable side product of it all was lower than expected flights. I'm assuming that was due to the disc finally flying nose down/flat rather than my constant nose up flight.

Easy is good! Nose down definitely get's promoted. Thing looks like a hover board when it's 5' off the ground for 400'+

It's threads like these that keep me coming back to this forum. And in case anyone was wondering my max drive before reading this was a consistent 380 and now it's jumped to a massive 500' of internet distance.

500' Internet! Booooosh!

Easy is good! Nose down definitely get's promoted. Thing looks like a hover board when it's 5' off the ground for 400'+

I found that through the first few holes I was missing my line to the left, but I tried slowing down my arm a little more just to focus on what my hand and the disc were doing. That helped a bunch to straighten the disc back out.

Obviously need to keep working on everything, but I realized pretty quick that I had to find the right balance of firmness in my wrist or it just didn't work at all.

The wind should die back down tomorrow so I'll hit the field again to find out what happens when it's not blowing 20 mph the whole time.

Haha, i always say they're hover-discs... They just fly different. Even when they start slowing down, they just kind of glide in for a landing instead of fading out and crashing down

nothing but net

These threads make me wish so badly that I had some sort of net to throw into indoors or in the yard. Just throw tons of drives for feel to get it right, not caring about flight/distance...until it feels right. Plus not having to walk the (hopefully!) 450'+ to go pick them up. One day.

Some really good discussion. I'm feeling more and more that I need to go into the pocket slower, and really make the effort to do the Beto rail type of move instead of the hammer pound (because the "real" throw is probably some combination of both things). I'm feeling some good things from some practice motions that I've been inspired by from reading this thread, and watching some McBeth footage. Seeing how to keep the hand/arm on the outside of the disc for long enough before pulling it around, really extending outwards from the pocket.

I got a chance to play a round with a guy who has 450'+ on command, and it was interesting getting out drove by 50 to 80' constantly. It made me confirm that my "normal" is half hitting still, and I need to keep trying to get it to that next level. Yeah I know it's not "useful" on lots of holes...but wow is it amazing to see a disc go 475'.

Slowplastic: It is 18 degrees outside, snow and ice on the course. I will not be throwing outside for awhile. I have set up a net in the basement and am experimenting with the short stance and other ideas mentioned in this thread. I will keep you informed of my progress as I go along. The weather will not break for about a week.
I am an older player and have been playing for less than a year. I throw 280 feet measured in field. I am currently working on grip and run up.
With the net, it is possible to have over 400 throws in a relatively short period of time. Focusing on one aspect of the throw is easier with the net. I can do 40 stand still throws in a few minutes. For me however, when i do a full run up it is difficult to go by feel alone. After about one night I only felt two throws that were spot on. Remember I am a beginner so feeling the hit is still a rarity. .005 is not a good %. I am hoping the net will fix all my flaws.

I just have to say that I have in the past been critical of these technique forums and even stated earlier that I avoided them around tournament time. Well I have to eat crow today because HyzerUniBomber you just fixed me. I went out to a field today and was just spraying shots everywhere. Let me preface this by saying that I've had the weight transfer and hip part of my throw down for a while but my biggest problem was my release and namely grip lock. Well today after frustratingly spraying shots everywhere I opened up an old video Uni, it was one of his older ones and it was about his routine for practice. The first thing I noticed was he finishing at 12'oclock on every throw whether it was a drive or upshot. I also noticed that I never did that, I then remembered how he had mentioned that with the proper elbow drive and hand slap that you could never grip lock. So I decided to give it a try and just stand still and focus on finishing as close as I could to 12 and guess what? No more grip locks every shot started going where I wanted. Mind you Ive throw 550+ in distance comps but my disc golf distance had always maxed at about 410'.... well after about 50 throws finishing at 12 I lined up and threw two perfect Destroyer, disc golf shots 500'+ I was blown away?!? It was the moment I've been looking for, for the last 6years of field work. Thank all you guys for what you do, I know I have thousands of hours of
Practice ahead of me but finally I feel like I'm the right track and it's all thanks to these threads!

I just have to say that I have in the past been critical of these technique forums and even stated earlier that I avoided them around tournament time. Well I have to eat crow today because HyzerUniBomber you just fixed me. I went out to a field today and was just spraying shots everywhere. Let me preface this by saying that I've had the weight transfer and hip part of my throw down for a while but my biggest problem was my release and namely grip lock. Well today after frustratingly spraying shots everywhere I opened up an old video Uni, it was one of his older ones and it was about his routine for practice. The first thing I noticed was he finishing at 12'oclock on every throw whether it was a drive or upshot. I also noticed that I never did that, I then remembered how he had mentioned that with the proper elbow drive and hand slap that you could never grip lock. So I decided to give it a try and just stand still and focus on finishing as close as I could to 12 and guess what? No more grip locks every shot started going where I wanted. Mind you Ive throw 550+ in distance comps but my disc golf distance had always maxed at about 410'.... well after about 50 throws finishing at 12 I lined up and threw two perfect Destroyer, disc golf shots 500'+ I was blown away?!? It was the moment I've been looking for, for the last 6years of field work. Thank all you guys for what you do, I know I have thousands of hours of
Practice ahead of me but finally I feel like I'm the right track and it's all thanks to these threads!

Holy poop! What a nice thing to hear! That's really amazing. I couldn't be any happier for you man, that's really cool.

RE: the truthHurts -

I don't mind people doubting whether I can personally throw "far". I often doubt that I can throw very far. I certainly had doubts about guys like Beato / Bradley / Blake when I first read what they were saying. Then it dawned on me, who cares if they can out throw McBeth... they're trying to help me, and I'm glad somebody was!

I like to think I promote concepts that are sound and well thought out and that I practice in the field. they've totally changed my game. 180 degree turn around.

I've worked pretty much non-stop since I started playing DG (not even 2 years ago) and one of the most frustrating aspects of it was that there were very few guys on youtube or easily google'able that could help me understand what was up. I've talked alot about mis-understanding Beato's right pec drill... I read DGR, but left scratching my head because I was still on step 1 and they were getting through the post-doc.

All that I try to do is to simplify steps, and then say WHY I think that something should work that way. I video tape myself all the time, so you'll get a nice long video of me throwing putters and mids from a stand still and then you can look at all the countless videos I've posted from my account.

I was really proud to have the stars align and have a really awesome throw that hit 470-ish feet. I can't reproduce it. My typical distance in a round that I can throw flat and relatively low (10' off the ground) is about 425'. I rarely try to gun it full bore, as that's typically less accurate.

If I want to throw for max-d, it's maybe once a week for about 15-20 throws total. They are like gambling, sometimes I don't get it to crest the turn over and they're off into the road. It's not really a golf shot, and I like to play golf more than throw max d. And I feel like max-d shots are harder on my body.

All that I try to preach, is that the hit is amazing for throws that don't wear you out. You can be old like me (40 in 4 months), play multiple full rounds, and still get up and down at the end of the day if you're not trying to kill yourself to throw the disc.

And let me tell ya, I used to try to kill myself throwing discs. I left all of the early form videos in my youtube account. Everybody here saw the hot mess I started with... I just have a stubborn streak in me to keep failing and keep coming back for more.

I use google maps / earth to measure distance. I also play with enough guys here who would joyfully debunk me if I went around saying that I could throw 500', which I can't... so I don't.

Avery and myself don't get to 12 o'clock until the disc is well gone. :\

Latest posts