• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shots Fired by McBeth?

Honestly there isn't a great lead card to watch if Paul isn't on it. He isn't super risky doesn't throw many niche shots but just goes out and pisses excellence.

If watching and a lead card or Paul, Simon, JohnE and Ricky was playing there is no way I could stop watching. Those guys are all diverse and fascinating.

And a note to everyone saying, "I've never known Paul to be anything but respectful and classy."
Well, it's easy to be classy when you win. Pay a little more attention to him when he's not winning. He's not a happy camper at all. When he lost the HoFC Classic last year (the playoff with MJ) his speech wasn't exactly filled with roses and puppies. He gave a short little speech of, "That's two tournaments I've lost now. This only motivates me more to win. Thanks."
He's my favorite and I love watching him play, but he's no more of an angel than the rest of us.

I find it hard to believe that someone wrote Paul and boring in the same sentence. I wish I was that boring; please, I wish I was that boring.

Nikko ain't boring, borish, but not boring.

BTW - by this measure, Tiger Woods, in his heyday, was boring. If we can't get significant enjoyment out of a player being so focused that they can deliver higher than any other player, we're watching too much reality television.

Last, the fact that Paul often starts, off the lead, and cranks it up round by round to first chase, then squash the lead player, well, it doesn't get more exciting than that.

Excellent play is usually not super exciting. I practically lived at Turner Field/FCS as a kid and I have to say Smoltz was exciting, Glavine was interesting, Maddux was boring. You'd look up an hour in and it would be the 6th inning and 4-0 Braves.

Wholers and Rocker were exciting.... But I don't think anyone wants guys like that in DG.

A little more detail on similar Will/Ricky comments at the 7:00 min mark.

Paul wins on consistency. He makes all the puts he should and hits all the fairways he should. Making medium range puts and hitting fairways don't make for exciting viewing. Making super long jump putts does. Crazy risky drives are exciting.

If you put people with no interest in disc golf in front of a tv with Paul and Nikko on it who do you think they want to watch? Nikko exudes exciting disc golf.

Personality also has a lot to do with it. And having a hairstyle that looks like your mom did it doesn't help either. Come to think about it everything about Paul reeks of low rent. Cheap ugly clothes, bad hair, lives in an RV. Not the guy I want to invest fandom in.

Thanks for the reply. I will just agree to disagree with you. End of thread-jack. :thmbup:

BTW - by this measure, Tiger Woods, in his heyday, was boring. If we can't get significant enjoyment out of a player being so focused that they can deliver higher than any other player, we're watching too much reality television.

Last, the fact that Paul often starts, off the lead, and cranks it up round by round to first chase, then squash the lead player, well, it doesn't get more exciting than that.

Tiger had a personality and style, and he CRUSHED off the teepad. He also rocketed putts into the cup. Tiger was not conservative in my memory.

The reason Paul starts off the lead card is precisely because he plays conservatively. There are 30 other players out there playing on the edge. Most of those players fall over the edge, but five or six will achieve an amazing score. The next round those guys all play on the edge again and it may not be the same 5/6 guys that get the amazing score. Paul plays within himself and never gets the ridiculous score but rarely combusts. Over a four round tournament the odds are going to even out everyone else's scores and leave Paul in the lead.

Now don't get me wrong, this is great disc golf, it just isn't entertaining. Nobody wants to watch Mayweather get 20 straight decisions, they want to see Pac live on the edge.

Tiger had a personality and style, and he CRUSHED off the teepad. He also rocketed putts into the cup. Tiger was not conservative in my memory.

The reason Paul starts off the lead card is precisely because he plays conservatively. There are 30 other players out there playing on the edge. Most of those players fall over the edge, but five or six will achieve an amazing score. The next round those guys all play on the edge again and it may not be the same 5/6 guys that get the amazing score. Paul plays within himself and never gets the ridiculous score but rarely combusts. Over a four round tournament the odds are going to even out everyone else's scores and leave Paul in the lead.

Now don't get me wrong, this is great disc golf, it just isn't entertaining. Nobody wants to watch Mayweather get 20 straight decisions, they want to see Pac live on the edge.

Didn't Paul have back-to-back course record 54s at Worlds to thoroughly crush Will's lead? Maybe rewatch those rounds and see some ridiculous shots that no one else makes. If he's playing within himself, it's still watchable because that's still better than anyone else.

The Final 9 at Worlds was not worth watching. Most Final 9s aren't though.

It's pretty easy to "play within yourself" when your skillset is as large at McBeth. It's his tremendous skillset that allows him to take "risky" lines because he is able to execute them repeatedly. Oh, and that ability to remain consistent under pressure situations.

Didn't Paul have back-to-back course record 54s at Worlds to thoroughly crush Will's lead? Maybe rewatch those rounds and see some ridiculous shots that no one else makes. If he's playing within himself, it's still watchable because that's still better than anyone else.

He had more eagles at Worlds than any other competitor, according to the live scoring archive.

PM is low rent? You must be trolling. Not my style, but he is always color coordinated. Nope, he doesn't look like a "typical" disc golfer.

His hair is silly, he practically admitted as much. He'll probably cut the blonde out soon, if he hasn't already.

The grandson and I watch YouTube often, and neither one of us like them as much when PM isn't involved.

Seems like he was just telling it like it is in his comments about RW and WS. It's like when Nicklaus was about to join the senior tour. Reporter asked him if he was nervous. He said something like, "why should I be nervous, these are the same guys I've been beating for 30 years". In other words, I don't think PM was being a Richard, it's just what is in your mind when you're the best.

Nobody? Really? You know that Floyd is the all-time leader in PPV buys, right?

They bought to see May lose :)

At any rate, this is the way these debates always go. The purists insist that the best player will always be the most fun to watch because they enjoy watching the best. Then all of a sudden an actually entertaining players comes along and they get all the fanfare. The purists suddenly spend all their time hating on the new guy, which really just gives more fuel to fire their popularity.

Paul McBeth will not be the face of disc golf for long without a massive shakeup in either his style or his personality. This interview is the first step int he right direction.

12729085_10100875095119872_6650005782769515833_n.jpg

Paul needs to be ever more careful now with what he says and to who. Adidas is a big sponsor.

Say the wrong thing, you can get dropped quick. Look what happened to Pacquiao getting dropped from Nike.

Paul needs to be ever more careful now with what he says and to who. Adidas is a big sponsor.

Say the wrong thing, you can get dropped quick. Look what happened to Pacquiao getting dropped from Nike.

Yeah, he might have to pay back his $500k back to Adidas.

This might sound crazy, but he might be getting big enough that he needs some help...a manager/agent if you will. I know all of you are laughing right now, but he is by far our biggest star. Didn't I read that you have to pay to play with him now?

Anyway, Jerry Maguire or not, I agree with @iDiscgolf.

He had more eagles at Worlds than any other competitor, according to the live scoring archive.

CCDG Round 5 of 2015 Worlds. Watch both halves. This was one of the record rounds. I'm at work. Can someone hook me up with the links? :thmbup: Some Paul Highlights for me:

Hole #2 recovery for 3.
Hole #3, park job. Plus my daughter gets mentioned in the commentary during Nikkos throw, I think.
Hole #6 tee shot. Totally different than everyone elses throws.
#10 running the basket and saying "Go in."
#14 crazy save after less than perfect drive.
#16 recovery after drive got knocked down. Jimb and daughter sighting after Nikkos sweet putt.
#17 Awesome putt.

They bought to see May lose :)

At any rate, this is the way these debates always go. The purists insist that the best player will always be the most fun to watch because they enjoy watching the best. Then all of a sudden an actually entertaining players comes along and they get all the fanfare. The purists suddenly spend all their time hating on the new guy, which really just gives more fuel to fire their popularity.

Paul McBeth will not be the face of disc golf for long without a massive shakeup in either his style or his personality. This interview is the first step int he right direction.

There's a local sportscaster around where I live who challenges people who say outlandish things about athletes' performances when they call into his radio talk show. "Watch the darned game!" is his favorite saying -- "...not the TV coverage, the game -- there -- in person!"

I was at the GBO last year walking in the group with the lead card Round 2 at Jones East. They had just finished hole 5 and word was leaking about Eagle McMahon being on fire in the card ahead of us as they had just gotten to #7 after finishing #6. As our groupd comes up on #6, a guy walking with that group saw me, came over, and commented, "Eagle is -6 through the first six holes -- perfect," he told me. My response was, "Really?? Paul just parked it on a par 4, from the tee box, by throwing over the short OB and up against the OB on the right of the green without going OB long. He was the only one to go for the green off the tee on the lead card. He's now -6 through five holes."

Boring?? no risk-taking?? meh. Watch the games! Simon didn't go for it off the tee and he's one of the longest throwing top pros (1020+) out there....not sorry for this thread-jack. I saw with my own eyes.