• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Should the PDGA have their own flight chart?

Matthew boals

Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Flight Chart, An Industry Stanard?
Innovas chart is the most popular. So, by default it is, IMHO.
When a disc is PDGA approved, I believe they need to also see how it flys. I don't believe they do this now.
Ya, I know, after reading threads about flight charts and what the numbers mean, what plastic will do what, it is overwhelming. But, with todays technology this could be done. Each manufacturer, each plastic in each mold. Arm speed broken down into Novice, Intermediate, Advanced, Pro.
Am I over thinking this or should this be done?
Thanks for your response.

I totally agree, it would just be hard to get all the different companies to agree. That's why some companies use terminology that all can understand e.g. Stable, understandable, neutral, overstable.

It really would not matter if the DG Co. would agree. If they want a "PDGA approved" they would just have to deal with it.

Could they do it? Sure, easily. All they'd need is a small team of testers to judge flight patterns of all the discs. Would they do it? Probably not.

Flight charts don't really mean that much anyway. The data is not concrete because players strengths are so different. Would they have a chart for women, kids, and men, ams, pros, noodle arms....etc? There are too many variables to make it work.

Not to mention the fact that discs can fly differently from run to run, plastic, age, wear...etc.

Last edited:
all it would take it a machine to test each disc so each release is the same, and stats given based on each disc. Although most stats are merely used to only evaluate one disc against each other. the number themselves don't mean much when throwing off the tee, when people can drive putters just as easily as a speed 13 warp speed driver. I do agree there has to be a professional standard put into place, but even if there is its subject to each user and how they throw.

No. I don't think it is really possible. I'm sure we could all look at GGGT, or Marshal and find something we would disagree with.

They need to take the top 10 players in the world each year and make it their responsibility to test the new discs and write a flight chart, once a year, over the course of a week. Then we get real opinions from a consistent and reliable source and a flight chart that is updated annually.

Really?

Plastic is cheap.

Buy a disc. Find a disc. Borrow a disc.

Like it? Throw in the bag.

Who gives a **** about a chart.

Really?

Plastic is cheap.

Hmmmm, apparently most people, that's why every producer of discs and disc sellers have a chart.

Really?

Plastic is cheap.

I care about the chart because it will help me determine whether or not a disc is going to work for me... which will lead to me not wasting money on disc orders, and even if you look at it as just a $10 piece of plastic, it adds up quick when you are testing different discs out.

Hmmmm, apparently most people, that's why every producer of discs and disc sellers have a chart.

I'd be find with everyone switching to actual speed, angle and distance numbers like Vibram uses instead of vague numbers like Innova or vague descriptions like Discraft.

I'd be find with everyone switching to actual speed, angle and distance numbers like Vibram uses instead of vague numbers like Innova or vague descriptions like Discraft.

But flight charts are useful because they are comparative, not because they are absolute. An absolute flight chart, like the one you suggest, is impossible to realize. A "vague" flight chart like Innova's or Discraft's works so well because you can immediately see how other discs fly relative to discs you already know.

I don't think this should be the PDGA's responsibility. With their limited staff I think their time could be better spent elsewhere.

No reason why computer simulation couldn't be used to accurately predict a disc's flight when fed any number of variables, except for the exorbitant expense.

Simulations could show how a disc (given its dimensions, shape, weight, etc.) would perform in different wind conditions, when thrown at different speeds with differing amounts of snap, with different nose angles and on and on.

Need to get a DGing mole onto the Sport Science production team.

This should probably be put in General Disc Golf Chat

Latest posts