• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Should the PDGA have their own flight chart?

I don't think this should be the PDGA's responsibility. With their limited staff I think their time could be better spent elsewhere.

This.

As a member, it's definitely not something I want to see the PDGA doing.

How would it benefit the PDGA in anyway to produce such a chart? Don't get me wrong it would be super convenient to me as a consumer to be able to compare discs at one place where I know they have been tested equally with no bias but I don't think the PDGA is really too concerned with such a matter nor should they be.
This is a problem between the manufacturers and the consumers and doesn't need any regulation from the PDGA in my opinion.

Flight charts are just a means of a manufacturer or vendor to market their product. Different discs do different things in different people's hands, and even in the same person's hands with different lines and angles of release.

For that reason alone, any attempt to make a standardization of how a disc should fly is impractical.

Flight charts are just a means of a manufacturer or vendor to market their product. Different discs do different things in different people's hands, and even in the same person's hands with different lines and angles of release.

For that reason alone, any attempt to make a standardization of how a disc should fly is impractical.

BINGO :clap::clap::thmbup:

This is exactly what we need, more arbitrary numbers to confuse newcomers to the sport.

Thanks for your responses everyone. As a retailer selling multiple manufacturers I get alot a questions about the charts. I do tell them its general and it depends on all the factors as plastic, wind, weight, angle of release, etc.

On another note-kinda-when the PDGA does approve a disc it opens a market that manufacturers are going for. Do they get ANY money from each Co. For the approval? Like .05 per disc? Kinda like KC getting .25 per disc? Another source of income for the PDGA.

i stopped looking at flight charts 2 years ago when i realized I don't yet have the intended arm speed and PLH and form determines more about flight path than seemingly random assigned numbers.

Flight testers at work: <------------ hmm.... i think it's a -2/1. NEXT!!

I like the old charts that Innova made before they used numbers. Simple said if the disc was easy for a beginner, more suited to a mid level player or designed for an expert. Also said which discs were better for turnovers and which ones were better for rollers.

Since everyone throws each disc differently and gets a different result from it, you would have to have one person throw every disc. Or you would have to create a machine that could throw the disc accurately each time. IMO that would be the only way to produce an accurate chart.

Since everyone throws each disc differently and gets a different result from it, you would have to have one person throw every disc. Or you would have to create a machine that could throw the disc accurately each time. IMO that would be the only way to produce an accurate chart.

My search feature is not working on my phone. I rememer a rather old thread about a few guys that made such a machine? Or it was modified from from a ball golf co. That used it for clubs. Someone please search for it for me?

A machine that could toss discs? That would be even worse. Last time I looked in the mirror, I wasn't a cyborg. You said it yourself. We all throw differently. Nobody is going to get the disc to do exactly what the machine rates the disc at.

I'm not quite in the "buy every disc and try it out camp." That is just a little too expensive, and wastes too much time. But I do agree that if you like a disc, just use it. It doesn't matter what a chart says.

Flight Chart, An Industry Stanard?
Innovas chart is the most popular. So, by default it is, IMHO.
When a disc is PDGA approved, I believe they need to also see how it flys. I don't believe they do this now.
Ya, I know, after reading threads about flight charts and what the numbers mean, what plastic will do what, it is overwhelming. But, with todays technology this could be done. Each manufacturer, each plastic in each mold. Arm speed broken down into Novice, Intermediate, Advanced, Pro.
Am I over thinking this or should this be done?
Thanks for your response.

I'm not gonna take the time to read this entire thread to see, and, it's probably already here, but, I personally like the format of the "Marshall Street Disc Golf Flight Guide" the best.

It's so easy to compare multiple brands of discs by speed and stability...

Check It Out... :clap:

http://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/media/flightguide.html

I think there are probably thousands of better ways for the PDGA to spend that money, but whatevs.

I can't think of any other sport that has that sort of rating system for anything but protective gear.

Either way, doesn't matter a bit to me. I'd look at them, and disregard that information after I throw it.

I wish that there was a disc that you could throw, and depending on how far it went, and how much it faded...it would give you a baseline.

From that baseline, there would be a customized flight chart for you as an individual.

I know, a big dream...Oh well.

As a small retailer, I'll say that the existing charts work pretty well. Not that they'll tell us what every disc will do in every player's hand. But when a player comes in a says, "I've got a Sidewinder and I like it, but it turns just a little too much....", the chart gives that player a good idea what to try next.

Company charts aren't helpful in comparing one manufacturer to another. Nor are they helpful to the new player who hasn't familiarized himself with any discs yet----but nothing's going to help him yet, in determinng what to throw.

The assumption that all discs can be fitted into nice slots is belied by the posters here who have tried hundreds of discs and constantly tell us which is the longest, which the best turnover, the best midrange, the best fade.....and all giving different answers.

Yet another drawback is, Which specific Groove is going to represent the entire mold?

Which specific Groove is going to represent the entire mold?

:clap:

And also the general message in the post is spot-on. Charts can get you in ballpark of what you're looking for, but it's up to the user to settle in on what suits them.

And that probably serves the manufacturers and retailers well, because if I could have just found 10 molds that were perfect for what I wanted in the bag right off the bat via a chart, I wouldn't have bought all the discs I don't throw.

I like joes chart because it also shows power needed for the flight

but all charts are a tool to compare disc to disc, so if you know how one disc "flys for your power/style of throw" you can then look at a chart to see what other discs "will do for you" NOT "everyone else"

Latest posts