• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should top of the basket count?

Should a disc that come to rest on top of the basket count as in?

• Total voters
Let's talk about evolution, here. The game needs to evolve to make it better.
Take basketball, we're not still shooting to peach baskets, are we?
Baseball, football, even soccer have changed.
Just because some guy invented a disc-catching device doesn't mean that the rules or the device cannot change.

Excellent point, but I think that the answer here is changing the targets, not the rules. Allowing DROTs fundamentally changes the way we aim at the target, it would be like saying a soccer ball that hits the top crossbar is good for a goal. I agree that we need to do something about the fact that our targets can "catch" in a way that's not really a made putt, but I think we should address that by changing the standards for targets rather than changing the rules of the game.

As far as the disc hanging outside of the basket...

Does anyone know of this happening in a major PDGA sactioned event? If so, what was the ruling?

I don't know about a ruling in a tournament, but I do know the rules committee has specifically addressed this and decided it was in. I agree with your point about the rules being ambiguous on the point, and you can easily read them to support a hanging disc being no good, but you can also interpret them the other way and that's how the PDGA mucky mucks decided it should be. Hopefully they'll address some of this in the rules update coming up in the next year.

As far as the disc hanging outside of the basket...

Does anyone know of this happening in a major PDGA sactioned event? If so, what was the ruling?

I had one stick on the outside of the basket one times years ago. It was so wierd how it actually did it but it did. We played a provisional and the td ruled it counted. He said it was the same as sticking in the basket itself

Roc1time and mashnut,

Well, I will accept that it is in from now on, even though, I have no idea how the rule can actually be interpreted that way. Thanks for the comments on this. I guess I should write them about the rule, even though I am sure they get a few hundred of those every year. :doh:

Well, email sent to PDGA....we'll see if I ever get a response. :|

I haven't read through the entire thread but it was a no for me. I think the disc should be in the basket or that area.
Same here...I vote NO
Cultivated from the PDGA Rules FAQ:

"Disc resting on top (DROT)
Question: I putted and my disc stayed on top of the basket. Now what?

Response: Applicable rules: 803.13, 803.07.B

The short answer is that it will take you one more throw to complete the hole. Formerly, you could leave it up there and give other players the chance to save you a stroke, but the rule that allowed that (in which a disc struck by another disc was played from its new lie) has been changed. Now, if a disc at rest is struck by another disc, it is returned to its original lie.

Since the person whose disc is on top has no chance of saving the stroke, it is reasonable to ask him to mark it if it may become a distraction."

:thmbup:

When I run my icebowl tournaments...i've always added some lil twists to the rounds....whether mandos, no mandos, mulligans, etc....and this year i allowed top of the basket shots to count :)

in normal tournament play, i follow the PDGA standards...

I say no, and am confused by the argument. Why do we need it to count in the first place? Is it going to shave that many strokes off your average score? I've played a little over a year and a half, and it's happened to me exactly once, just a few weeks ago.

Has anyone else ever played baskets with holes in the top? I didn't slug through the whole thread but I played Cortez Is. last year where they have it and you could get a hammer ace in through the top of the basket. I BH but a few appreciated it, I'm glad ours don't have holes in the top there woulda been an ace today... oh well carryover!

I'll listen to the PDGA, we play a sport with a governing organization that has helped develop the sport up to this point. I'm totally ok with still listening to whatever they have to say. Baaah.

Top of the basket counts on "Heavy Metal Day".... so does chain, or post, Holey aceholes Batman.

Psssst I also know why the threads not dead, too many people think that people want to hear what they wanna type and it's a yes or no question.

Last edited:
Well, email sent to PDGA....we'll see if I ever get a response. :|

This was the email & response from the PDGA on hanging outside the basket.

From Me:
On dgcoursereview.com, We understand that the rule about a disc coming to rest by hanging on the outside of the basket counts as being holed out.

However, from the rule "Disc Entrapment Devices:", the wording on the sentence before and after that statement is very clear that the disc must come to rest WITHIN the entrapment.

Can you please explain how that gets interpreted as a hole out? Or at least make this one of your rules updates for this year? Thanks so much, and I am sorry to have to ask you a question you probably get daily.

From PDGA:
I think the current rule as written is clear. It specifically states that wedgies and hangers fall within the definition of "supported by the chains or within one of the entrapment sections". Later in the rule "supported by the chains" changes to "within the chains".

That rule is currently under review for the revision planned for 2011, and will likely be rewritten. It is possible that the related definitions will as well.

Latest posts