• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Silver Series: 2022 Santa Cruz Masters Cup May 13-15

CCDG was under the DGPT auspice for this one. Still I knew they'd pull out the best. Interesting that they put the driver and flight numbers up for round 2, whereas in round 1 Ian announced verbally what the player threw off the box. Works either way for me.

CCDG was under the DGPT auspice for this one. Still I knew they'd pull out the best. Interesting that they put the driver and flight numbers up for round 2, whereas in round 1 Ian announced verbally what the player threw off the box. Works either way for me.

Well CCDG's been under DGN for silver series all season. For whatever reason at DeLa they've incorporated some of the old CCDG elements that were strangely cut from earlier events.

Last edited:
The people who help Ian with that stuff are probably somewhat local to where this tournament takes place.

Plus I'm pretty sure Ian is also somewhat local, so he most likely had more time to talk to the players and get notes on discs.

Ian used to be local to NorCal, as well as Portland for a time. I believe he's in the San Diego area now.

The whole thing was over by 7:15 or so, still plenty of daylight. Seems much ado about nothing.

Why wasn't there a big cut?
Most large PDGA A-tier and larger events have a sufficient cut so that the last card is teeing off at 2pm or so at latest.
In this manner, the competitors can be done and awards ceremony wrapped up and folks on their way home by dinner time.
It also gives some flexibility if there is a weather or other unforeseen delay.

This and other events with similar timeframes are running a very thin line between completion, and total disaster. Any emergency which comes up and delays the tournament by even an hour is going to result in competitors not able to finish by dark, and the entire Sunday round thrown out. There is no Monday completion of a tournament in disc golf.

This is the way it has been done for decades.
Why are folks changing things now?

Good luck traipsing on this razor thin wire. 👍🏻

Most large PDGA A-tier and larger events have a sufficient cut so that the last card is teeing off at 2pm or so at latest.
In this manner, the competitors can be done and awards ceremony wrapped up and folks on their way home by dinner time.

This and other events with similar timeframes are running a very thin line between completion, and total disaster. Any emergency which comes up and delays the tournament by even an hour is going to result in competitors not able to finish by dark, and the entire Sunday round thrown out. There is no Monday completion of a tournament in disc golf.

lolololol

What is your concern? Is it a matter of not being convenient for the players, or for the viewers?

I am enjoying watching this on a Sunday evening, here in Eastern time.

If I'm traveling, a 7:15 Sunday finish isn't all that great.

That 7:15 finish is only a concern if you make the lead card.

Cuts are typically reserved for 4-round events. That's the way it's been for... (well conservatively...) at least 3 or 4 months.

It's Norcal, not San Diego. It isn't even twilight there this time of year until about 9:00pm

Good luck traipsing on this razor thin wire. ����

I don't have answers for you but the event organizers would have good responses for you I'm sure. They are generally friendly folks who are willing to have discussions if the timing is right. Where you personally effected by this? It sure seems so.

Dunno about razor thin, Im sure you can find folks with good reasons for the way this was run and both sides are likely right. The game is changing rapidly, nothing is the same as it was decades ago. Do you want to go back to people throwing Aero's and Eagles, and using ground baskets?

hahaha complaining about the timing. It's in Santa Cruz in the spring. You wake up at 5 or 6AM. Catch some waves at the point or the hook. Nap on the beach for a few hours after the surf is blown out. Go play disc golf in the afternoon/evening. Timing seems perfect to me.

hahaha complaining about the timing. It's in Santa Cruz in the spring. You wake up at 5 or 6AM. Catch some waves at the point or the hook. Nap on the beach for a few hours after the surf is blown out. Go play disc golf in the afternoon/evening. Timing seems perfect to me.

Get a job, slacker!

Or a spectator with a long drive home. Or a travel companion of someone on lead card. Or the camera crew filming the lead card. I'm sure there are others I have omitted.

Sorry, let me fix that for you (me).:wall:

That 7:15 finish is only a required or unpaid concern if you make the lead card.

Since 1 and 2 is a choice that you know of beforehand (could spectate or travel with a different person/group), and 3 is making money for his/her decision.

:doh:
DUH -- I was talking about having plenty of daylight -- not choices...

Sorry. I forgot aray was the authority on all things tournament disc golf. My bad. Carry on.

-insert smilie of yr choice-

Last edited:

Latest posts