• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So, how did you play today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

It was a good day. I got my travel tag and a few Lightweight Magics in the mail and immediately rode my bike to the nearest disc golf course to show of both......nobody in my area has heard of either. The Magics are in the bag to stay for sure. T minus one month until my next tourney to have at least one familiarized and seasoned up. I could be in at an event this weekend, however, this ^ (tourement layout preview ) just doesn't appeal to me.

After watching parts of the Nick Hyde Memorial, I was inspired to play Harry Myers (my home course) from the long tees for the first time. My best score from the shorts is 62, yesterday from the longs it wasn't pretty. I got an 81.

One heck of a bright spot in the game though; I parred the infamous hole 3, despite one throw being a pitch out. My opponent also got a five on that hole so nothing could dampen our spirits after that.

Putting practice at lunch - set a new record @ JYLY mostly because of a sweet streak of 6 in a row 4/5s from 9M to close it out.

Ellison: E, left a few out there, still a fun lunch around.

Played a round and a half this morning, forgot the score, I left cause I was so darn tired. Went back around 4 and threw another 9.

My score of +2 or +3 (I have a horrible time remembering cause I only save my scores on my phone at non-home courses), didn't really reflect my OVERALL play. Just a few DISGUSTING putts and one terrible flick. Everything elses was pretty spot on, made a few nice long putts, got one of my longest drives on hole 1, about 322 feet mildly uphill, etc. Good to be out.

Going to introduce a newcomer, a guy I work with, to the sport tomorrow. I hope he gets addicted too.

I marathon'd it up today with some buddies
Sunnyside- 24 strokes, 22 strokes
Zachary Playfield- 25 strokes, 22 strokes
Plymouth Creek- 28 strokes (one shy of my personal best here), 31 strokes
Acorn- 51 strokes
Highland- 22 strokes, 24 strokes (2nd round was putters only and I used my newly acquired CryZtal Challenger)

So far it has been a damn good day, I think i might be joining some buddies for some night rounds at Hansen later tonight too.

Getting more distance on my drives. Staying on the toes of my back foot and pulling through my core has helped a lot. I landed in the water on hole 4 at AJ Jolly with my Orc, but just off the bank. I got it back thankfully. I birdied 15 for the first time. Laid the recovered Orc 25 feet to the right of the basket next to the closest tree and made the putt. My drives were on point and the weather was beautiful. Great night! :thmbup:

2 rounds of doubles today. The wind was brutal. Putting was atrocious. Approach game was solid. Driving was hit or miss. Bonus though was I had one of those lucky days where when I missed a shot, my partner hit it...and vice versa. Ended up coming home with $25 more than I started. :)

Between Friday night dubs and a round with a friend today I've hit my longest drives on a few of my home courses.

Bradford #17 is a 350 foot hole that goes with a steep hill all along the left side and wood all along the right. At the end the fairway has an opening to the right and the basket is about 40-50 feet hard right into that gap. I threw my Neutron Insanity on a put anny line instead of trying to hyzer flip my Katana. I put that Insanity 10 feet past pin high almost missing the gap completely and into the gap by 10-15 feet deep. I missed the 35-40 foot putt but that's one of the few times I even had a chance at the putt. I've been trying to hit that gap for about 2 years now and never quite had the arm to get it to the gap and turn right.

I'm a RHBH player and don't have much distance on my sidearm. I was so happy to hit that shot off the tee.

The second shot was number 15 at Reedy Creek. It a 350 foot tunnelish shot. It's a wide tunnel. The fairway is 30-40 feet across but it's loooong. After about 325 or so there are a number of trees. I threw my OS blizzard Katan with a slight anny. It "s" curved really tight and landed about 30 feet from the basket on the right side.

And this time I hit the putt! First time I've ever had a putt on that hole that wasn't a hope and a prayer.

Great, matched my personal best. However, two rough holes meant my 9 birdies only left me 5 down. Plus I lost my awesome lightly understable Thunderbird in the leaves. :/

Played a B-tier, 1st round was terrible, but 2nd round I pulled it together to finish in 9th out of 25. Won the throw off for the ace pot, and won a DGA Mach Lite in a raffle. It was a great day!

+7 for me at Trojan Park. I only lost one backup disc in the lake (Star pfn TL) so I'm real happy about that. I lost on the hole that Feldberg got his ace during Worlds. The wind was blowing crazy hard for such a nice Oregon day. I also discovered that my champ firebird is my new best friend. Feels good to know I can wield that meathook of a disc! This was my first time giving it some real fly time. I could have played a better round (more aggressive), but I was super conservative and just focused on disc/wind selection. We played the majority of the holes in 2014 Worlds layout.

Feldberg Ace https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSYnBWjS9LI

Last edited:
Horrible doesn't even begin to cover it, it was like in the early days when we started (granted that isn't too far back for me). True, wind, she was a blowin', basically any drive that I didn't want to turn to the left and never come back (RHFH), max weight VIP Giant and even then there were some nervous moments. Somehow managed to avoid doing a penalty round* the next time we play. Ripped the opening shot with a vengeance on hole 17 of the second round (so hole 35 of 36 we played), got close enough to putt and the chains for once didn't do any spitting. Was an awkward behind the back sorta anny-putt too into headwind, had to stretch to get around the tree for a clear line.

* At the local course, I pretty much open 17/18 holes forehand, have actually done all 18 with fore. But I'm "forcing" myself into working on my backhand, so anytime we do two rounds and I don't get a birdie on either of them, next time we hit the course, I have to do a round where I make all my shots off the tee using backhand. I think the current difference between the best scores is -2 forehand, +10 backhand drives.

My putt is really in a great place. For the first time I am feeling totally confident about where my game is and how my next tournament will pan out.

That said, I didn't "play" today at all. I took my Discatcher out to a local field and spend two hours putting and working on approach shots. It's because of all the time I've put into my putt and how I minimized my molds from 11 down to 8 that I am feeling confident about my game going forward.

Last edited:
Visited my hometown and got in two doubles rounds while there.

Yesterday was incredibly bad golf. Was paired with my brother and we couldn't buy a putt. the wind was capricious and we were attempting long putts all day. Had half a dozen holes where we both doinked or washed out. Threw a drive into the pond--a hazard I've had no problems avoiding for ages.

Today had a different partner (another fogey) and was a good round of bad golf. :) We didn't have as much wind today and the putting was better. The driving...not so much. And I put another disc into that pond.

Yesterday's group had three grandmasters and two youngsters. Today's had three grandmasters, a master, and a whippersnapper. Always fun playing with the guys I started playing this silly game with three decades back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts