• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

so then Climo says...

picture.php

Still haven't washed that hand ... :D

Looks like you caught them filming the fundamentals DVD.

Climo is a one time DG'er and no one will ever and could ever do what he has done for DG....he is like the "egg mcmuffin of disc golf." I would love to get my 8x Rocs signed and take a picture with him and my two sons...it's on the bucket list of things to do..

I was lucky enough to be able to do this. I played in the Beaver State Fling in Oregon in 2009 and he was gracious enough to talk with me for a while, sign a few discs, and take a photo. He won that tournament for the first time too so as you can imagine, he was in great spirits. :thmbup:

Interesting that his home course (Cliff Stephens) features a ton of OB. I think he likes that course.

If you count water, sure. But it isn't like Cliff has a million miles of artificial OB roped off every which way. There is a difference. Just a side note, it is really something to watch him throw rollers on 350-400 foot holes at Cliff with pinpoint accuracy, sometimes circling the pin on 17.

If you count water, sure. But it isn't like Cliff has a million miles of artificial OB roped off every which way. There is a difference. Just a side note, it is really something to watch him throw rollers on 350-400 foot holes at Cliff with pinpoint accuracy, sometimes circling the pin on 17.

I parked a 300' foot hole with a beat to **** Dx Orc on a BH roller the other day. I was just goofing around but it worked.

Looks like you caught them filming the fundamentals DVD.

Yep. It was a pretty epic event - me and a buddy went to play and there they were, filming. We stood around for a while, watching, and then asked if we could play through. Ever the consummate sportsman, Kenny stepped aside. Didn't even snicker ;)

If you count water, sure. But it isn't like Cliff has a million miles of artificial OB roped off every which way. There is a difference.

Besides loosing your discs and having downhill slopes heading to OB to encourage your disc to end up OB, what is the difference between water and ropes (or stakes or roads/paths)?

By this I mean in relation to Climo's complaint of "The game should be about making shots not being worried about barely missing them." So, please stay away from aesthetics in your answer since I doubt anyone disagrees with that argument.

My problem with artificial OB and "mandos" is most often, it makes the course more difficult without making it better; sometimes making it worse.

I don't think it's the OB that's keeping Climo from dominating but the increase in courses with longer par 3 holes along with true gold level par 4s and 5s. Both Kenny and Barry came up thru the ranks when courses were truly "all par 3" so they grooved their games where more controllable discs like Rocs and T-Birds could reach the holes. There are still enough of those courses around so Kenny and to a lesser extent Barry can still crush those courses even using some of the newer drivers.

The young guns came up when wide rimmed drivers were all they knew and some of the newer courses require those discs to be competitive. Even though Winthrop gold is long, it still plays like an older school course where you can score well simply by throwing 300ish with control and not going OB. KC and Barry have demonstrated they can still do that. So it's not the amount of funky OB getting at KC except on the crush holes with OB like Winthrop hole 10 where the young guns can reach the almost island green

In addition, you'll find many more of the top players have good to excellent forehands which is a technical advantage no matter how well you can BH turn a disc. I understand KC has recently developed a pretty decent forehand but he never needed it or used it rarely during his dominating 90s. Barry became great the same way without much if any forehand.

Besides loosing your discs and having downhill slopes heading to OB to encourage your disc to end up OB, what is the difference between water and ropes (or stakes or roads/paths)?

By this I mean in relation to Climo's complaint of "The game should be about making shots not being worried about barely missing them." So, please stay away from aesthetics in your answer since I doubt anyone disagrees with that argument.

I'll venture to say that water is a natural OB, as opposed to the man made barriers or just calling a sidewalk OB. Of course, parking lots, roads, playgrounds, etc... all get marked as OB. For instance, ball golf courses use artificial OB unnecessarily. Why are the bunkers and greens OB? If a barrier is needed plant a frikkin' tree or 2!!