• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

so then Climo says...

Climo does not use facebook.

Also, I dont think he would be "dissing" Doss or beat his chest like a insecure teenager. That post from the initial post of this thread does SO not sound like CLimo.

Climo does not use facebook.

Also, I dont think he would be "dissing" Doss or beat his chest like a insecure teenager. That post from the initial post of this thread does SO not sound like CLimo.

Well, you're wrong.

It was pretty dickish but I have seen players in lesser tourneys get stroked for dropping their disc on top of their bag.

You don't let go of your disc during a tourney because you never know how anal the other players in your group are. It's like stepping over your mark in side the circle. Some don't care & some will call you on it.

Not tossing or dropping your disc in a tournament round was the first rule I was told to always abide by.

I believe the reason he wasn't stroked was that he hit that shot on the last hole and the round was over. But if you go by strict interpretations of the rules you don't ever throw your disc without it counting as a stroke.

It also may be an old timers thing. The newer players don't seem to care about it as much. I equate it to how traveling is not called in the NBA anymore.

As far as Climo the player and his impact n the sport there are no other comparasons. The reason so many courses have 400'+ par 3's is because he was reaching the old course long par 3's with ease. He changed the length of course design.

You need to bone up on the rules and stop people from abusing rules lawyering. Here is the rule:

Rule 800
Practice Throw: During a round, the projection of a disc of a distance greater than two meters, or of any distance toward a target, intentional or not, which does not change the player's lie, either because it did not occur from the teeing area or the lie, or because the player had already thrown competitively from the teeing area or the lie. Throws that are re-thrown in accordance with the rules are not practice throws. Provisional throws made pursuant to 803.01 C and 803.01 D (3) are not practice throws. A player shall receive a penalty for a practice throw in accordance with sections 803.01 B or Competition Manual 1.5 B (1).

Rule 803.01(B)
Practice Throws. A player who throws a practice throw or an extra throw with any disc any time after the
start of his or her round and prior to his or her finishing the last hole of the round (except
for throws that must be re-thrown in accordance with the rules, provisional throws made
pursuant to 803.01 C and 803.01 D (3), or throws during a suspension or postponement of play) shall receive
one penalty throw. The practice throw or extra throw must be observed by any two players or an
official.

Dropping a disc is not a practice throw as it doesn't travel in any direction at all. Cale didn't throw the disc over 2 meters imo. The throw happened after finishing the last hole.

To break it down, here is the requirements for a stroke: After starting but before finishing the last hole of a round, if you throw a disc over 2 meters OR towards the target any distance it is a stroke.

I view his comments as unsportsmanlike behaviour. At the pro level, athletes should be gentlemanlike with each other. Just my opinion, I guess.

Cale had holed out on HIS last hole of the round but Climo still had to hole out from his mark near the basket before the round for the group was over. Cale's disc didn't even go 2m nor toward a basket. However, if Cale could have been called on anything it would have been a stretch to call a courtesy violation for "excess celebration" sort of like the NFL end zone celebration penalty. Even then, it would only have been a courtesy warning. Climo gets a "fail" on the incident not so much for asking about it but persisting once it was clear there was no fault involved.

"The game should be about making shots not being worried about barely missing them."

I agree with this sentiment, but in today's Hollywood-driven, in-your-face, all-or-nothing, do-or-die, second place is a loser, etc. mentality, it's no wonder that the sport has taken this turn.

Karl

I was only kidding; but, especially if Ken had not finished; that was a lot of celebration. You would never see Ken give move than a fist pump.

Cale's demeanor is usually quite reserved when I've seen him.

Without going to look up the data; Ken still wins or places very high in nearly every event he plays in; doesn't he? He's just been playing less events in recent years, correct?

I remember a stat I saw somewhere that the oldest player to ever win open in a major/NT event was 38 years old. How old is Ken Climo now? Has he broken that record yet?

I remember a stat I saw somewhere that the oldest player to ever win open in a major/NT event was 38 years old. How old is Ken Climo now? Has he broken that record yet?

he won the nt in florida in 2010 on his 41st b-day weekend. i'm betting that he adds world championship #13 this year in charlotte.

I wonder how Climo reacted to the generation right before him when they griped about Climo's generation of disc golfers?

I can't remember who it was, either Kirkland or Malafronte, but they savaged the "modern era" throwers. To them throwing modern beveled edge discs was killing the sport. To their credit, both those players held distance records, and Kirkland threw 440' with a midnight flyer, and both routinely sank full court "shots" on a basketball hoop during halftime at globetrotter games.

I wonder how Climo reacted to the generation right before him when they griped about Climo's generation of disc golfers?

I can't remember who it was, either Kirkland or Malafronte, but they savaged the "modern era" throwers. To them throwing modern beveled edge discs was killing the sport. To their credit, both those players held distance records, and Kirkland threw 440' with a midnight flyer, and both routinely sank full court "shots" on a basketball hoop during halftime at globetrotter games.

Every generation bitches about every generation before or after. It's a rule of nature.

The old guys are always slow, not up to date. The young guys are always ruining everything with their new stuff that is SO different from the old stuff and ruins everything.

Also, in my days, we had to walk trough snow barefoot. And there was no OB.

Interesting that his home course (Cliff Stephens) features a ton of OB. I think he likes that course.

Dude, that is not even close to the same thing!

Besides loosing your discs and having downhill slopes heading to OB to encourage your disc to end up OB, what is the difference between water and ropes (or stakes or roads/paths)?

By this I mean in relation to Climo's complaint of "The game should be about making shots not being worried about barely missing them." So, please stay away from aesthetics in your answer since I doubt anyone disagrees with that argument.

^maybe b/c of the highly subjective nature of positioning ropes as opposed to natural OB (or roads/paths) that are always the same place, all the time?

Good point. Yes - that is a problem if the ropes are not anchored down properly....or if the TD does not declare the ropes a guide and straight lines between the anchor stake the offical line.

Is this a lot different than the level of a stream varying during the duration of a tournament (if it is not staked off for an official OB line somewhere on the bank?)

Ropes are a problem when they are used to make a poor course tourney-ready. Take the Memorial. Vista is a crappy course and no amount of ropes can change that.