• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

so then Climo says...

Good point. Yes - that is a problem if the ropes are not anchored down properly....or if the TD does not declare the ropes a guide and straight lines between the anchor stake the offical line.

Is this a lot different than the level of a stream varying during the duration of a tournament (if it is not staked off for an official OB line somewhere on the bank?)

Yeah but the ropes aren't put down in exactly the same place every year either. The stream is always there, sometimes it's dry, sometimes it's flooded but it's still always there. You're not going to show up to the tournament ready to make up for you mistakes last year only to find out that they moved that stream you OB'ed on 10' closer to the hole or something. There's something a lot more appealing in learning a course and adapting rather than having it change on you drastically every year. Playing a course with a lot of artificial OB is like being in the X-men's danger room, novel but hard to get nostalgic or sentimental about it. :\

Vista is a fairly boring looking course. The description on this site is funny: "Lots of trees". There are more trees on one hole is most states than there are in that entire park.

Yeah but the ropes aren't put down in exactly the same place every year either. The stream is always there, sometimes it's dry, sometimes it's flooded but it's still always there. You're not going to show up to the tournament ready to make up for you mistakes last year only to find out that they moved that stream you OB'ed on 10' closer to the hole or something. There's something a lot more appealing in learning a course and adapting rather than having it change on you drastically every year. Playing a course with a lot of artificial OB is like being in the X-men's danger room, novel but hard to get nostalgic or sentimental about it. :\

On the contrary, there's nothing like showing up the day before a tournament and walking a course that you've never even seen before. It's much more interesting to have to judge distances and make choices on disc and shot selection on the fly. What is unappealing is throwing the same disc you've thrown on the same hole for years.

^Yeah but doesn't that ramp up the luck factor a lot more?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRyG7QXVqns

Watch that video, then watch Cale running around everywhere celebrating. Then watch Cale throw his putter to the ground in all the excitement (0:54). Climo tried his best for the rest of the tournament to stroke Cale for that. After the TD denied him that, he went and complained to the Marshall. After he was denied again, he still wouldn't quit and argued his point that Cale should have been stroked until everyone left. Basically acted like a little bitch.

Other than that one incident, I will agree that Climo seems like a cool guy. I've talked to him a bunch at worlds in 2010 and spoke to they guy caddying for him and heard nothing but great things about him.

I would have called for a stroke on the putter throwing incident. It's the rules.

Do you think that Vista is a good course or that the ropes make it good?

I think Vista in the Memorial Layout particularly is a good course. It may not be a top course but it's certainly not bad. Decent trees for AZ, creek running throughout and several water carry shots with some Ace Runs and good legitimate par 4s. I do think Fountain Hills is a better course for sure, but I certainly think Vista is a good, fun, and challenging course. I also think that the memorial layout doesn't over use ropes adding a little challenge but not allowing for anything flukey.

I'd say no. Being able to judge distance, find a line, and disc/shot selection are skills just as important as actually throwing the discs themselves.

And who in the history of the game is better at that then climo?
Which makes me wonder why he dislikes the ob so much, wouldn't it play to his strengths and give him an advantage over younger players who are more apt to "go for it"?

I believe the reason he wasn't stroked was that he hit that shot on the last hole and the round was over. But if you go by strict interpretations of the rules you don't ever throw your disc without it counting as a stroke.

Not to be a Rules Nazi, but I believe that your round is not over until your signed card is in the scorekeepers hand.

Still, it was way over-the-top to try to get Uli penalized after that shot.
Childish and peckish, one might say.:\

Not to be a Rules Nazi, but I believe that your round is not over until your signed card is in the scorekeepers hand.

A player who throws a practice throw or an extra throw with any disc any time after the
start of his or her round and prior to his or her finishing the last hole of the round

That second quote is from the rules. Lets not overthink the issue. Prior to finishing the last hole of the round is plain english.

Vista is a fairly boring looking course. The description on this site is funny: "Lots of trees". There are more trees on one hole is most states than there are in that entire park.

as someone who is used to playing heavily wooded courses (Tyler state park, Nockamixon, etc...) and someone who has also played Vista, I can honestly say I don't think a tree came into play at all the three rounds I played there. Also besides hole 1, the water OB is pretty easy to deal with...

Its not the rules, try reading them or this thread where myself and chuck explain them.

Pretty sure you can't throw a disc that not a shot in an event w/o being stroked (like throwing a disc back to your bag). I did read them after being stroked for this as well.

With regards to the comments on Vista: there are only two holes that have OB ropes and they are intended to seperate parallel fairways. If you think tress don't come into play at there; you have either not played the course, blind, or just an idiot.

The disc did not travel more than 2 meters nor any distance towards the pin. He didn't have a pin to shoot at anymore anyway. His round was over.