• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sugaree-Phase 2

Mando

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
After a three year hiatus, Sugaree has re-opened. The big change is that the home-made hanging baskets have all been replaced with MVP Black Hole Pros. We are also working to upgrade the shorter teepads now that we are getting more rec level and novice players coming through.
So, if you are coming up to beat the heat in the mountains at Ashe Park or hitting Harmon Hills, swing by.
The course is in it's best summertime condition since it opened in 2008.

What did you do with the homemades? Great to hear you're open again. Still need to get back out there again.

Home-mades are being stored in the basement. Some folks actually miss them,but not me.
They were too much of the focus, instead of the course itself.
May use them for some temp holes once we get the teepads squared away.

Is love to come up there next Saturday- would be a nice escape from the heat, but looks like there is a 40% chance of rain. Still closed if it's wet? Also, how steep is the elevation? Think my 3 year old could handle it?

It's super dry,so rain hasn't been a problem this summer,things drying rapidly. I wouldn't bring a 3 year old on account of the cliffs and ledges.

Great news Rich! I'll have to figure our a way to get back up there.
Bet those MVP baskets don't catch nearly as well as your homemade ones though... I can understand why you changed, but those homemade baskets caught better than anything else I've ever played on.

There are a number of changes on the course. Nearly every hole has had trees removed to widen the lanes. Hole 13 has been lengthened by about 100 feet. Hole 17 had been retired, so you now go from 16 to 18. The course is now 24 holes, par 77. Duane D. from cola disc golf has posted the lowest score so far with an 80.

That's awesome, Rich!

Thanks for sharing what is, from all accounts, simply a spectacular piece of property and righteous dg course! :hfive: :cool: :clap:

My plea here is for everyone who visits to leave generous donations, so Rich is encouraged to keep it open until I can make it back.

A mob of Columbians played there last week, to warm up for High Country, and are simply gushing praise.
I only saw one card,but the boys must have some skills; one +3,2 +4's and one +6.
That's impressive especially for their first time seeing the course !

I only saw one card,but the boys must have some skills; one +3,2 +4's and one +6.
That's impressive especially for their first time seeing the course !

There were at least two groups of them out there.

I guess the other change i should mention is that when the season ends in October, the baskets will be pulled and stored until the course re-opens. In the past,the home made baskets were up year-round and the course could be played in the off-season on the rare days when the weather cooperated.

I guess the other change i should mention is that when the season ends in October, the baskets will be pulled and stored until the course re-opens. In the past,the home made baskets were up year-round and the course could be played in the off-season on the rare days when the weather cooperated.

Bummer :(

yea,it's also a bummer when a dead hemlock limb takes out a basket,which happened friday...not a big deal replacing a home made, but a bummer when you gotta buy em. Winter winds at sugaree are brutal.

Last edited:
Oh yea. She pretty much weed-eated the whole course, but I'm prepared for an intervention. The # 13 extension stirred up things a bit.