• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Backpack Shoot Out...

And the winner is...........

• Gateway - Ozark

Votes: 10 3.3%
  • Gorilla Boy - Simian

Votes: 39 12.8%
  • Grip EQ - Tour Bag

Votes: 107 35.1%
  • HyzerBomb - Flak

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • Mystery Ranch - Golf Mahal

Votes: 44 14.4%
  • Physical Flight - Challenger Pak

Votes: 12 3.9%
  • Prodiscus - Jet Pack

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • Revolution - Dual Pack

Votes: 10 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 20 6.6%
  • D.I.Y.

Votes: 33 10.8%

• Total voters
I have the gateway backpack and that thing has been through hell and back and still has held up well. I got it because it fit well enough that I could ride the motorcycle to and from the course. On the way back from a round, a lady pulled out in front of me and the following happend:

Ninja- Totaled
Shoes-Shreaded
Clothes-Torn to bits
Gateway backpack and all of my beloved discs- completely fine

Passes the durability test in my book.

On the way back from a round, a lady pulled out in front of me and the following happend:

Ninja- Totaled
Shoes-Shreaded
Clothes-Torn to bits
Gateway backpack and all of my beloved discs- completely fine

Passes the durability test in my book.
:thmbup:
Sounds like that shoulda been pretty painful... so, how did you fare?
You as tough as your bag? Maybe the bag did so well 'cause you broke its fall?

Showering was a little rough for a week or so due to road rash on my left side but I walked away from the accident just fine.

I appreciate this poll, but I wish it could be a bit more comprehensive. Also, I wish all the production runs were current... Who knows how people would rate/review all the bags after the spring (and if we didn't just have to order them online and could actually feel them in person).

Currently sold out or unavailable (to my knowledge):
Dynamic Discs Ranger (~April) - $180
Gorilla Boy Simian - $200 ("starting at")
Grip EQ Large Tour, Signature, and Special Ed - $200, $260, $300
Hyzer Bomb Flak - $180
Mystery Ranch Golf Mahal - $260-300
Physical Flight Challenger - $205
Prodiscus Bag (at Journey Post / Facebook) - $250
Revolution Dual - $195
Revolution Dual Pack Lite - $165
Voodoo Spinal Tap (Spring release) - $200

Currently available:
Gateway Ozark - $130
Hyzer Bomb Demo - $65.50
Hyzer Bomb The Squib - $25.50
Upper Park Designs Shift - $120
Upper Park Designs Focus - $70

I know I'm forgetting one of the above manufacturers "bigger" looking bags, but I can't remember which.

Last edited:
Another bag that you could add to the list is the Big Hyzer Ergo which will release in April.
Will Schusterick was carrying the proto of this bag at the USDGC in Oct.

Another bag that you could add to the list is the Big Hyzer Ergo which will release in April.
Will Schusterick was carrying the proto of this bag at the USDGC in Oct.
It's not really a backpack though. There's no way that bag's design is ergonomically equivalent to actual disc backpacks.

Golf Mahal got my vote. It'll be the last bag I ever buy. It can expand and contract depending upon my travels and or tourneys. This bag may be expensive but I use and abuse my equipment and I need it to last. I like this bag so much that I sold all my previous bags to get one. Including a voodoo karma, squirrell monkey, simian, and a nut sac. I miss the simian from time to time but I don't regret my decision to buy the mahal. It works for what I use it for. Travel and tourney.

the Simian is that price plus shipping...there is no add ons or other options to raise the price of it

plus there is is 21 units in stock right now. Im willing to bet he gets more to his store front faster than most of the other companies since he is in charge of them and not some production company

It says 21 in stock but it also says pre-order? Can you tell which colors are available?

It's not really a backpack though. There's no way that bag's design is ergonomically equivalent to actual disc backpacks.

How is this not a backpack?
facebook_1104451065_zps891b0ceb.jpg

Hahahah that's a great question. I have no idea why but I ignored that and looked at the seat bag thing. Sorry!

Hahahah that's a great question. I have no idea why but I ignored that and looked at the seat bag thing. Sorry!

no worries. i figured that's what you were talking about after I posted...

The Simian has to be the most uncomfortable backpack ever made. It's cool that it has a seat but totally not worth it. Grip bag is comfortable just wish it had more storage. Back to the drawing board hoping that one of the new bags coming out will work.

might be uncomfortable for people with their spines protruding, but works amazing for me. im 5'11'' and 170lbs and it couldnt fit better.

As far as colors available for them, click the drop down tab and pick the color you want. If the color you want ISNT there, then you preorder it and can still get it before a backstocked mahal or grip

Challenger Pak by Physical Flight.

Lifetime Warranty
Free Shipping
Designed and approved by a Doctor who plays dg
Great Customer service, always replies within a few hours
Best Materials. Ballistic Nylon and Kevlar thread
No increase in cost for different colors of production run
Lighter than Grip, Prodiscus and Golf Mahal. I own them all
$200 is cheaper than any color grip, golf mahal and prodiscus

Can't beat it IMO

plus there will be an MJ signature version coming out sometime this year!!!

plus there will be an MJ signature version coming out sometime this year!!!

^^^Very true, Should be a great bag. We took all the suggestions MJ gave on the Challenger (slimmed it down) and now the bag will become more aesthetically pleasing, built in internal frame, less expensive with same top flight materials and lifetime warranty. MJ's signature version will be on the bag platform called the "Contender". Pics out next week via www.physicalflightdg.com

Value: you just can't beat the Cabela bag, 18-20 on the bottom, + 2 putters and pots of storage... all for $50 - about 1/4 the price of other backpack bags. Looks like they've been discontinued, and only a few left available here and there at Cabela stores. I love my bag - comfy, practical, well made.

I voted DIY because of ^^^

I love my Cabelas bag. I had the money put back for the Grip bag, but decided to pull the trigger on the DIY bag.

I've been punishing it with a lot of winter disc and it's held up like a champ.

$65 at the end of the day is a hell of a value.

:popcorn:

Latest posts