• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] The DGCR mold: lid geometries discussion

What I would like;

PDGA LEGAL: YES.

GLIDE: medium

NEUTRALITY: stable

DIAMETER: 22cm

RIM DEPTH: 1.4 - 1.5cm

SHOULDER: squaround?

THUMTRAC: No!

RINGS OF HEDRICK: No.

RAISED CENTER: No.

DOME: flat to very slight dome

OVERMOLD: No

RIM "BEAD" RADIUS: IDK

BEVELED EDGE: No? Maybe very very small.

INTERNAL RIM RIM TO FLIGHTPLATE TRANSITION RADIUS: No Preference

PLUS RIM: No

WEIGHTS: 150-180gr

FLEXIBLE SOFT PLASTIC: yes

THUMTRAC: only if its like the grippy areas on a Sinus

PDGA LEGAL: Either way

GLIDE: Yes please

NEUTRALITY: Neutral with a little high speed turn resistance

DIAMETER: Small or small'er

RIM DEPTH: Shallow

THUMTRAC: would like to see another rendention like the sinus or spike instead

PLUS RIM: Nah

PDGA LEGAL: Yes.

GLIDE: Medium to High, for "Lid-ness"

NEUTRALITY: Neutral or low LSS, high HSS stable

DIAMETER: I wouldn't mind up to a 22 cm to help fill the niche that the Gopher and similar lids filled of a wider diameter lid. I'd wait and see how people like the flight of the Beetle to give a clue.

RIM DEPTH: Polecat is perfect for me but I can go shallower.

SHOULDER: Prefer squared off.

THUMTRAC: I'm piqued by the idea of a RDG groove on a lid. It would be good to have something that would prevent clovering (a good plastic like Fossil will probably prevent this but throwing it out there). I really do not want to kill glide though. I think the RDG groove might not hurt glide too much if the disc has mild dome, the RDG and Element putters I've seen are all board flat and a contributor to lack of glide I think.

RINGS OF HEDRICK: I like them but if they damage the structural integrity of the flight plate like Sonics I say screw them. What would happen if you went radial spokes instead? If it's a Troll Cat it's got to have some cheeky feature, right?

RAISED CENTER: Nah, I'd say keep it uniform like a conventional golf disc.

DOME: Flat to mild dome.

OVERMOLD: I'm assuming the traditional route will be cheaper and easier. I think there are two "dream" lids in my mind, a wider diameter Pole Cat in sweet baseline plastic (this seems right in RDG's wheelhouse so this Troll Cat is reflected in my answers) but if a premium plastic, overmolded lid is pursued, I think an overmolded fastback would be elfballs and really novel, perfect marriage of old school and new school.

RIM "BEAD" RADIUS: Blunt, I hate sharp rims that scrape my fan grip.

BEVELED EDGE: Only the slightest bevel, prefer flat.

INTERNAL RIM TO FLIGHTPLATE TRANSITION RADIUS: Feel-wise, I prefer more squared. I do like the Ion's internal rim and wouldn't mind it, might help add a little gyro effect to it but I think squared off would be more popular.

PLUS RIM: HATE plus rims

WEIGHTS: My ideal lid weight is ~160-165g. I like light enough to be liddish but heavy enough that it's not a dramatic departure from 175+ mids and drivers. You can go as light as you like, especially if it helps change up the stability to give player's options.

Random idea: Can we put two "rings of Headrick", one each alongside of a groove? What the heck would that do?

Random idea #2: Polecat with a bead? Has it ever been done putting a bead on a lid?

Last edited:
PDGA LEGAL: Yes!

GLIDE: Give me glide or give me death

NEUTRALITY: Neutral

DIAMETER: Sonic diameter is good IMO

RIM DEPTH: Deep!

SHOULDER: Squared off

THUMTRAC: I like them but I'd rather have the below

RINGS OF HEDRICK: YES!!!!!!

RAISED CENTER: No

DOME: Flat

OVERMOLD: No

RIM "BEAD" RADIUS: not sure

BEVELED EDGE: Ultrastar bevel would be nice

INTERNAL RIM TO FLIGHTPLATE TRANSITION RADIUS: Small radius

PLUS RIM: No

WEIGHTS: Yes. I want 150-175g

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

High glide, with the same stability level as the Serpent would be freaking amazing! The stability kf the Yikun Claws is also great, but bringing it to that level of stability does reduce the glide and takes away from the point and shoot aspect. No Rings of Hedrick" as that turns it from a lid into a fastback, Frisbee style disc; the Yikun Claws managed to put the rings on a flat top which actually worked well. Im okay with the RDG Thumbtrack on it, but would prefer a nice flat top.

I'd like to see this, but larger diameter and PDGA legal.

Everything about the lil' wiz flight is awesome.

Attachments

• 20170328_213705.jpg
    20170328_213705.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 32
PDGA LEGAL: Sure, but not a deal breaker

GLIDE: medium

NEUTRALITY: neutral

DIAMETER: 22-23

RIM DEPTH: 1.2-1.5

SHOULDER: don't care

THUMTRAC:mini groove

RINGS OF HEDRICK: no preference

RAISED CENTER:

DOME: flat

RIM "BEAD" RADIUS: big bead

BEVELED EDGE: don't care

WEIGHTS: 175+

I don't want to get into great specifics... my few preferences are 1. Medium to high glide and 2. No dome/raise to the center
The main reason I chipped in is based on weight... as this is a bit of a novelty (at least to start out with), I think it would be worth mentioning that jcassidy has frequently mentioned that a lot of different weights for a mold costs more money, and for this style of disc I don't see the demand as being through the roof. I'd recommend having it available in heavy weights (175-180) and lighter weights (either 150-155, or 160-165, or as low as reasonably possible), assuming it would be cheaper to have two weight ranges than to have the entire spectrum. That way you can suit the guys who like heavy plastic and the guys who like lighter plastic without breaking the bank big time. If this isn't a concern anymore then don't mind me :D

Can I just send you a Piranha? You can answer all the questions for me based on that. :| Of course then you have to send the Piranha back, 'cause I ain't givin' then away. :| :|

PDGA LEGAL: yes

GLIDE: high glide

NEUTRALITY: stable

DIAMETER: 22-23

RIM DEPTH: in between

SHOULDER: round-ish

THUMTRAC: no

RINGS OF HEDRICK: yay

RAISED CENTER: no

DOME: slight

OVERMOLD: would be great, but no

RIM "BEAD" RADIUS: blunt

BEVELED EDGE: no

INTERNAL RIM TO FLIGHTPLATE TRANSITION RADIUS: small-ish

PLUS RIM: meh

WEIGHTS: Are light weights important to you? no

Can I just send you a Piranha? You can answer all the questions for me based on that. :| Of course then you have to send the Piranha back, 'cause I ain't givin' then away. :| :|

If you are seriously offering then I would love to take you up on that!
I will send it back after getting some measurements.
PM me for an address if you are serious!

GLIDE: high glide

NEUTRALITY: neutral stable

DIAMETER: 22-23 (GIVE ME A GOPHER - with or without a Thumbtrac)

RIM DEPTH: no preference, but I imagine high glide would require a deeper disc

SHOULDER: squared like a Polecat

THUMTRAC: no preference (would argue this is not what makes discs like Rhynos, Birdies, and Scales so beefy. Well, not nearly as much as the blunt top wing half)

RINGS OF HEDRICK: yay (I don't think the rings are what make Sonics so fragile either. Again, I think it's the design of that area)

RAISED CENTER: no

DOME: no preference

OVERMOLD: no preference

BEVELED EDGE: NO!!! - this is a lid for golf, not a golf disc that flies like a lid - even asking this question is shameful

INTERNAL RIM TO FLIGHTPLATE TRANSITION RADIUS: small-ish

PLUS RIM: no

WEIGHTS: Are light weights important to you? no preference

GLIDE: Medium glide

NEUTRALITY: neutral stable

DIAMETER: 22.5

RIM DEPTH: Shallow please!

SHOULDER: Rounded, no preference on sloping

THUMTRAC: Prefer no thumbtrac, but could live with a subtle one (think Serpent)

RINGS OF HEDRICK: No! (Unless it's run in Gumbputt)

RAISED CENTER: No preference

DOME: Slight

OVERMOLD: No. KISS

BEVELED EDGE: As minimal as possible

INTERNAL RIM TO FLIGHTPLATE TRANSITION RADIUS: No preference

PLUS RIM: Slight if any

WEIGHTS: Are light weights important to you? No. And since I'd prefer a larger diameter disc with a moderately chunky rim, I don't think light weights will really be an option unless there's a material option for Styrofoam.

If you are seriously offering then I would love to take you up on that!
I will send it back after getting some measurements.
PM me for an address if you are serious!
If I do it's not gonna come back with sharpie art on it, right? I kinda like that old Piranha stamp. :|

BEVELED EDGE: NO!!! - this is a lid for golf, not a golf disc that flies like a lid - even asking this question is shameful

Surprised it took someone so long to say this.

Although I wouldnt mind a mild bevel

Personally what I really want is something that feels like a mini Ultrastar but has the stability of a Polecat in some nice stiff Gateway plastics. That would be a dream disc for me.

Marm O. Votes:

PDGA LEGAL: absolutely YES.

GLIDE: medium to high

NEUTRALITY: neutral… I'm fine with having an upper boundary after which we go understable.

DIAMETER: 22cm is what I originally proposed. This was before I knew about the Beetle @ 21.9cm so now I'm less set on this measurement. Maybe the 22-22.5cm range is my new wish list diameter.

RIM DEPTH: relatively shallow for me. Shallower than a Polecat IMO, Aeros are 1.3cm deep and I like the idea of that. Ringers are 1.2 deep and I think that might be a little too shallow for my tastes.

SHOULDER: I prefer squared but I can make just about anything work. Flight is more important to me than minor changes in grip. Major changes in grip might change my answer.

THUMTRAC: I love Thumtracs but a Rhyno style Thumtrac will kill the glide. I like the idea of a very small indentation like the RDG top but that kills glide as well. I vote for a few Ching-style Juju divots at different distances from the perimeter. You can use them if you want or ignore them and still have a traditional style profile.

RINGS OF HEDRICK: I don't know if there is any aerodynamic advantage to these but these rings are the common mode of failure on the Sonic. I vote to leave them off.

RAISED CENTER: I vote bad idea.

DOME: flat to mild dome IMO

OVERMOLD: As much as I like the idea of an overmolded lid, I think this needs to be traditional one shot, no overmold. I don't want to add complexity to the project. Maybe the next DGCR disc will be overmolded 

RIM "BEAD" RADIUS: Polecat feels right to me. Putt'rs feel to roundy IMO.

BEVELED EDGE: I like the idea of a faint bevel but nothing extreme. This should be a slow disc and the lower profile is already adding a tiny bit of speed.

INTERNAL RIM RIM TO FLIGHTPLATE TRANSITION RADIUS: I like the larger radii transitions. They feel better when I flick.

PLUS RIM: Not. A. Fan. On some features I could vote either way. Not this one. I actively vote against plus rims.

WEIGHTS: yeah, I like light lids. I like 150g Polecats. My 150g Zephyr is fantastic, too. I would love for this to be produced in weights ranging from 130-180g if possible.

Basically my vote too. Shallower depth suits me. Higher weights a plus. I could live with less glide. "Rim bead radius"...something to break edge but nothing huge. Marmo has the right ideas in my opinion.

And as much as my heart absolutely aches for an overmolded lid, in this project its not at all feasible for a few reasons.

Latest posts