• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Disc Golf Guy - Vlog #364 - Step Putt Analysis for Ulibarri and Feldberg

Uli faulted that second shot.
When the bending around this rule allows a player to release a disc multiple feet in front of the lie there is a problem.
The fact that its almost impossible to call in real time, and even in this vid the guy is using this exact putt as an example of a legal putt and yet I can slow it down and show that maybe its not, then thats a problem too.

If it really doesn't give any advantage, if it's actually counterproductive and has no merits whatsoever, then why allow people to do it at all when it's both hurting their game and detrimental to the spirit of the rules of game? we should just get rid of it and be done with it, no?

I decided to start doing it a bit myself just to test. It's pretty easy to catch on. Getting a lot more forward momentum helps you direct the putt with less effort, makes it more precise, and also puts you a couple feet closer upon releasing your disc.

Maybe not everyone can take advantage of it, but it certainly does change things.

Last edited:
It clicked immediately for me and I like it.

If you want to develop it and save some strokes (assuming you aren't already an awesome 35-50' putter)... then practice step putting close to the basket, like 20' - where you wouldn't try to put a ton of extra into the shot. Once you're able to zing it in somewhat regularly, then back out further.

Some guys I play with can naturally putt from 50' with lots of accuracy, using the same stance as from 20'. I cannot... but stepping through has not only put me in the basket more often, it also keeps me closer to the basket on my misses. If I try to putt high enough to be chain high from 50' with my normal putt, I end up pretty ugly for a come-backer. This solves that by allowing me to keep the disc lower and flatter and if I miss, no roll out.

Whether you can personally step putt or not, it is an advantage for those of us who can do it. I've never been called for a foot fault for it.

i agree with the above. i started doing it over the summer. i do it in a slower fashion where i am sure to let my leg hang in the air before it drops clearly after the disc has been released.

my take is that just because we've never been called for a foot fault doesn't mean we should be happy with being able to do what we're doing. it's sketchy. if you draw a comparison to other rules in other sports or even just to everyday basic laws that are designed to clearly distinguish okay from not okay, it seems silly to be able to step putt or even jump putt and land beyond your lie.

i just felt like a punk about the whole thing, so i've started to come from a very weight-back stance, almost like a reverse lunge, and give a huge push forward. i can typically come to rest with that back foot behind my lie after releasing, but if i can't and i have to step forward to steady myself, nobody thinks it's a foot fault.

Last edited:
I don't feel it's sketchy. At least I don't feel it's any worse than a jump putt, a falling putt, a regular putt where somebody is RIGHT on their mini (but are they touching?)

The only foot fault I've seen called EVER, was a guy inside the circle had a habit of not showing balance. He got called twice (warning and stroke) in a round. No jumps, steps, falling putts have been called in any rounds - or honestly even discussed as questionable.

Playing within the rules and taking full advantage of the best shot you have available, is acceptable in my opinion. PDGA seems very happy with their current rule-set and the only ways I see things changing:

1. An explicit rule change.
2. A social change to start calling foot faults and questionable (not clear) possible faults.

I don't see #2 ever happening... unless you're Kenny Climo and decide to take somebody to task.

Sounds like I need to practice step putts! My hunch is it feels right to some people, but not to others.

I like the rules the way they are. You are either inside the circle or outside the circle...it's simple. If I was good at step putting I'd use it an not feel the least bit bad. I agree with Koda and Hyzer that the player should make an effort to CLEARLY have the front foot off the ground at the release. It's not really cool IMO to cut it as close as possible.

I still miss a lot of putts inside the circle so that's where I'll focus my efforts :), but I might be in the yard tonight trying out a few step-putts

Golf is a game of courtesy. Stretching a rule to the point you can break it once in a while is horrible etiquette.

The only thing I'd like to see changed would be to allow a 10cm throwing area to the sides and behind the disc, and eliminate incidental contact with the marker as a penalty. I know, pretty radical.

When I Step Putt, I release the disc as I'm moving over my lie, with my plant foot still well on the ground, and use the remaining forward momentum to allow that extra little oomph.

Even if Uli's putts are legal, it seems like an awfully awkward way of putting.

Golf is a game of courtesy. Stretching a rule to the point you can break it once in a while is horrible etiquette.

We must be watching different tournaments. Game of courtesy?

I wouldn't bring my kids to a ball or disc golf tournament. Worst behavior I've seen is from 1000+ rated players.

Horrible etiquette: head phones in, can't hear your card mates. Cursing, crying, whining. Kicking stools, bags, punching trees, punching the ground. Bad mouthing event staff. Slapping your thigh with your putter. Blaming spectators for missing your putt.

I consider courtesy being a positive personality and keeping your emotions under control to be common courtesy #1, 2 and 3.

I don't think step putters are trying to get one over on anybody, any more than the guy accidentally stepping on his disc during a drive.

I don't think step putters are trying to get one over on anybody, any more than the guy accidentally stepping on his disc during a drive.

Accidentally hitting your lie as you twist in follow through is not trying to get one over on anyone.
Releasing the disc a yard ahead of your lie with your foot on the ground via a loophole and the impossibility of instant replay probably is.

We have differing opinions. I think that if the PDGA considered it a loophole, they'd rather easily fix it.

But they don't.

As the sport grows and gets more coverage and publicity and these things become seen as more of an issue, they will.

It'll work itself out eventually. You can't have this kind of stuff if you want to really have a national presence with high profile events. There are enough controversies over judgements on the course as it is without needlessly retaining this one.

Not saying that's what you want personally, but you know.

Last edited:
The only thing I'd like to see changed would be to allow a 10cm throwing area to the sides and behind the disc, and eliminate incidental contact with the marker as a penalty. I know, pretty radical.

You don't need to get rid of "incidental contact". You have 11 inches behind your marker to plant. There's NO reason to touch your marker. I also don't understand why people feel the need to butt right up against their mark on a putt.

You don't need to get rid of "incidental contact". You have 11 inches behind your marker to plant. There's NO reason to touch your marker. I also don't understand why people feel the need to butt right up against their mark on a putt.

It's actually 11.75", so closer to a foot.

The only reason I added that part is because it's not called anyway -- or rarely at best. And it's not a big deal, no real advantage so why complicate the rules? Just to be anal? Less anal and more simple, just one opinion. I mean is it really necessary to have a rule that penalizes someone just for touching their marker?

Remember when hanging onto the rim after a dunk wasn't allowed in the NBA?

Actually, it's 30cm, if you want to be anal about it.

You need to have rules, and the rules should remove as much grey area as possible. It's not that difficult to grasp.

Actually, it's 30cm, if you want to be anal about it.

You need to have rules, and the rules should remove as much grey area as possible. It's not that difficult to grasp.

Or 11.81" to be really anal -- easier to just say a foot though, but most people think it's 11". Just like most people think the 10 meter circle is 30 feet! :doh:

Rules that are rarely, if ever, enforced aren't effective rules, it's not that difficult to grasp.

Update the rule to enforce both feet behind the marker regardless if on the ground or in the air and this debate never comes up again.

I brought up the "illegal putting" in another thread. Brought it up again after watching the Maricopa. Disc Guy didn't show all of the putts, and seemed to be a "defender" of Uli and Feldberg. That being said, almost all of the putts looked illegal in real time. But of the ones shown, only one putt looked illegal when he showed the super slo mo.

Latest posts