• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Gospel of the PD

Aaron mentioned X Pred. I threw a slightly broken in 175 and it had the same lines and power and hyzer angle needs (0 degrees for my power) than P PD but it doesn't glide as much and is around 10-15' shorter.

I have been throwing pds for a while now and like them alot but am considering picking up a faster "distance" driver. I am interested in the surge, but would this overlap to much with a pd? or is there considerable difference in distance potential between the two? inorder to carry a distance driver that does not overlap with a pd would i have to look into 12 speeds or would 11 speeds suffice?

My OCD streak is trying to make me hoard the stiff P-PDs. These things fly SO sweet. They glide unbelievably well, which is sweet because you can throw them slower and get the same D as you can with other PDs. They also start out with a perfect stability to be incredibly versatile at distances from 340-360'. At these distances the disc takes a smooth throw and flips a tiny bit, holds, and then fades late. My beat original P-PD is far more understable, yet still takes more pop(with corresponding hyzer) to fly right than these stiff Ps do brand new. I took mine (blue 172) to the course for the first time today and birdied a pretty technical hole on my first attempt. It was a shot where you have to have perfect height control, throwing over a bush and under a pine tree and fade gently and forward on the finish. I didn't even throw it perfect, but it still ended up about 25' left of the pin.

I just came back from the field where it was pretty windy (15-25mph). I was throwing 500' bombers down onto a soccer field from about 30'-40' above the playing surface and hitting the back fence. I had to throw my Destroyers on huge S curves and really get the nose down to get to the fence. I hit it with that P-PD on a straight line! These glide so far and straight I SERIOUSLY wonder if they could break the distance record :shock: ...

keepitfreshbrah said:
I have been throwing pds for a while now and like them alot but am considering picking up a faster "distance" driver. I am interested in the surge, but would this overlap to much with a pd? or is there considerable difference in distance potential between the two? inorder to carry a distance driver that does not overlap with a pd would i have to look into 12 speeds or would 11 speeds suffice?

I don't think that you'd want to go slower than a Pro Wraith to pair with the PD, and that's faster than all the Surges and other Wraiths.

So since I'm not seeing much difference between the PD and a Starfire/Orc type disc is this a power issue? ( I throw TB's ~350'). or is this a style issue. The Starfire/Orc is almost a predictable as my TB's, so I'm still not getting what the hooplah is over this disc.

discspeed said:
My OCD streak is trying to make me hoard the stiff P-PDs. These things fly SO sweet. They glide unbelievably well, which is sweet because you can throw them slower and get the same D as you can with other PDs. They also start out with a perfect stability to be incredibly versatile at distances from 340-360'. At these distances the disc takes a smooth throw and flips a tiny bit, holds, and then fades late. My beat original P-PD is far more understable, yet still takes more pop(with corresponding hyzer) to fly right than these stiff Ps do brand new. I took mine (blue 172) to the course for the first time today and birdied a pretty technical hole on my first attempt. It was a shot where you have to have perfect height control, throwing over a bush and under a pine tree and fade gently and forward on the finish. I didn't even throw it perfect, but it still ended up about 25' left of the pin.

I just came back from the field where it was pretty windy (15-25mph). I was throwing 500' bombers down onto a soccer field from about 30'-40' above the playing surface and hitting the back fence. I had to throw my Destroyers on huge S curves and really get the nose down to get to the fence. I hit it with that P-PD on a straight line! These glide so far and straight I SERIOUSLY wonder if they could break the distance record :shock: ...
Wow. They sound pretty fantastic. You couldn't maybe put one or two to the side at the store, I'm trying to gather up some funds to order a couple of Ions (most likely from Clearwater, if they have sensible shipping) and would like to throw in a couple of those PDs to try out.

jubuttib said:
discspeed said:

Wow. They sound pretty fantastic. You couldn't maybe put one or two to the side at the store, I'm trying to gather up some funds to order a couple of Ions (most likely from Clearwater, if they have sensible shipping) and would like to throw in a couple of those PDs to try out.

No problem. We have like 20-30 of them.

Danforth said:
So since I'm not seeing much difference between the PD and a Starfire/Orc type disc is this a power issue? ( I throw TB's ~350'). or is this a style issue. The Starfire/Orc is almost a predictable as my TB's, so I'm still not getting what the hooplah is over this disc.

The main difference between the PD and Starfire/Orc is speed sensitivity. A single Orc can be HSS 0 and LSS 4 @ 40mph, HSS -1 LSS 3 @ 50mph, and HSS-2 LSS 2 @ 60mph. Over a range of speeds +/- 20mph it can be a totally different disc. The Starfire is a bit more predictable in its speed sensitivity, but none the less is an overstable disc at lower speeds (its going to fade way early) and then a totally straight disc if thrown harder, and its fairly dramatic compared to the PD/Teebird. This is why these discs are not nearly as predictable as a Teebird (unless you have a crappy Teebird). My broken in S-PD I can throw as hard as I can with a touch (15 degrees) of hyzer and it will not flip over. I can also make it fly on a tight, straight S shot over 330' from a flat release. One of those shots is 40mph, the other is 60-70mph, yet the disc's behavior does not change wildly. THIS is the beauty of the PD oh skeptical one...

Got bored and did a little PLH study on my PDs. Among each type of plastics the PLH was very consistent, even among X-outs. All of my P's are Freak stamped.
Pink P vs White S
IMG_0613.jpg

Notice that the P has a more bluntish nose where the nose on the S has a downward incline. I only have 1 S for now so is this common?

Pink P vs Yellow C
IMG_0614.jpg

No surprises here. PLH demos its connection to stability once again.

NoLifeLeft said:
Notice that the P has a more bluntish nose where the nose on the S has a downward incline. I only have 1 S for now so is this common?
Neither of my S-PDs has that, if anything one is the opposite, a bit of an upward incline.

jubuttib said:
NoLifeLeft said:
Neither of my S-PDs has that, if anything one is the opposite, a bit of an upward incline.
I just received a First Run S that is like you described.

What I find interesting about this disc, in general, is that the top of the wing really slopes down quickly, with quite a radius, yet it is very stable. It almost looks like it's "beat in" from the start.

What impact does this have on flight, angles, wind fighting, etc?

toothyfish said:
What I find interesting about this disc, in general, is that the top of the wing really slopes down quickly, with quite a radius, yet it is very stable. It almost looks like it's "beat in" from the start.

What impact does this have on flight, angles, wind fighting, etc?

This is interesting. Dave Dunipace said that before it was used on the Discmania discs the top was simply referred to as "anhyzer", so obviously its a top designed for less stable flight. The PD is a product of a very overstable bottom wing combined with the less stable top wing. I think this is where its many intersting flight characteristics come from. It has a very sharp nose for speed and stability, yet it thickens very quickly, helping durability and gyroscopicness.

The PDs I have seen all have an impressively identical PLH. 3 zombie 150 PPD, 1 1st SPD, 5 zombie SPD, 3 zombie PPD. But the domes vary a bit, using the flat ruler test, the 1st runs have the most dome, zombie S about 1cm more flat contact across, zombie P another 1cm flatter. Odd fortune that the 150 PPD I got for two friends have the domyness of their heavier SPD brothers, and are not flippy at all.

Wow, my P PD has far far less dome than the one pictured above. Also it flies like a more stable valk than a TB. It is less HSS than the one (champ) viking that I own. Of course, I'm figuring out that I'm sort of a torque monkey too, but still. My PPD is flat compared to that pink one.

RS39 said:
The PDs I have seen all have an impressively identical PLH. 3 zombie 150 PPD, 1 1st SPD, 5 zombie SPD, 3 zombie PPD. But the domes vary a bit, using the flat ruler test, the 1st runs have the most dome, zombie S about 1cm more flat contact across, zombie P another 1cm flatter. Odd fortune that the 150 PPD I got for two friends have the domyness of their heavier SPD brothers, and are not flippy at all.
Dome doesn't really affect stability as such (at least not much), PLH does.

On another note, I was playing on a course close to me (only 14 miles!) that I've somehow managed to miss completely. I met two fellow players there who both had the PD in their bag. I was very surprised to see the second guy rip on his S-PD and it was turning considerably. Like, turn slightly over from a 25 degree hyzer. I asked him how long he'd had it, thinking it was a very old and beaten in disc. He said he'd thrown it about 10 times total, and it did indeed look pretty much brand new. I got a chance to try it out and it was a very freaky PD, turning almost like my beat P-CD, but still having a very decent fade. Also had a good dome on it, plenty of glide. Probably had a low PLH as well, but couldn't verify this, lacking a level surface. Easily the longest PD I've thrown though, seemed to still handle the wind quite well. I might have to track down a similar one, very interesting.

Latest posts