• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Gospel of the PD

I've thrown a dark green Elite-X domey Cyclone that flies a touch understable, a flat white ESP Cyclone that flew like your brick, JR, and a domey powder blue ESP Cyclone that flies like himynameismatt's Cyclone. That domey ESP Cyclone is in my bag, having replaced the flat Cyclone, which replaced a beefy Z Glo Stalker. Domey Cyclones are excellent.

I swapped out my DGR PDs for an SOLS and an SOLF. I love the rim feel on the Orions and they seem to be fairly ok with my noodle-arming them. I have to try the PDs out again.

discspeed said:
I just took out my fairways again in favor of an all-PD setup. Last year I did this, but it did not stick. I think this was largely because I was trying to use too many PPDs, which are all over the place in terms of flight character. This year I've now got quite a stash of SPDs broken in to various stages and I've really been feeling powered down lines with them. I simply haven't been throwing my JLS/QJLS enough to justify keeping them in the bag at this time.
The more I throw the PD the more I think there just isnt a true ( to it. I think theres a lot of discs that might work well, but think my best bet is going to be beating slightly lighter P and S-Lines. I have beat light blue P that weighs right around 170 that powers down really well, ocassionnally theyll fly a lil to stable than I'd like but Im learning to live with it.

I just got back from a tourney this weekend and I used my PDs almost exclusively - they served me well. I had two Ps @ 167 and 175, two Ss @ 171 and 175, and two Cs at max weight. I was able to carve most lines I needed with the different stabilities. I did use my Buzzz a lot and have all different plastics and stabilities of that disc as well. I did feel at some points that I wanted something more than a Buzzz and something less than a PD. I'm still stuck in a void as to what I need in between my Buzzz and PD or if i even need one (read as: learn to play with my PD more?).

OK i lost my money s-PD today...it was perfect, living in the sweet spot. broke my heart. Stopped by my friend TRB's house for a new one. i bought a red p-PD with the DGR stamp on it, from him. it doesn't feel like the freak stamped P's in my bag, it feels more "S" like. anything i should expect, before giving it a throw tomorrow?

Sean40474 said:
I just got back from a tourney this weekend and I used my PDs almost exclusively - they served me well. I had two Ps @ 167 and 175, two Ss @ 171 and 175, and two Cs at max weight. I was able to carve most lines I needed with the different stabilities. I did use my Buzzz a lot and have all different plastics and stabilities of that disc as well. I did feel at some points that I wanted something more than a Buzzz and something less than a PD. I'm still stuck in a void as to what I need in between my Buzzz and PD or if i even need one (read as: learn to play with my PD more?).

Z Stalker.

JR said:
Sean40474 said:

Z Stalker.

Hmm, maybe I'll have to give that another try. I wasn't the biggest fan of the disc even though I love the Buzzz. Right now, I'm not sure that the Cyclone or Gazelle is giving what I want between the Buzzz and PD.

I'm trying the Cyclone right now, Been throwing some really nice touch hyzer flips that are pure frozen ropes down the fairway. However it is noticeably slower than my Z Stalkers, My Z Buzzz throws seem to leave my hand with almost as much speed as the Cyclone, the real killer though is that the Stalker is quite a bit longer than my Cyclones which weren't much longer than my Buzzz's.

One advantage the Cyclone had is it has quite a bit more LSS, and still came back a bit when turned over. The Stalker on the hand will lock into that line all the way to the ground. Two different discs both with the same use IMO. A very vague analogy I can give is if a Stalker is a Buzzz on 'roids then the Cyclone is a Comet on 'roids but w/ more LSS.

Overall I'm leaning towards the Stalker as my PD compliment.

himynameismatt said:
I'm trying the Cyclone right now, Been throwing some really nice touch hyzer flips that are pure frozen ropes down the fairway. However it is noticeably slower than my Z Stalkers, My Z Buzzz throws seem to leave my hand with almost as much speed as the Cyclone, the real killer though is that the Stalker is quite a bit longer than my Cyclones which weren't much longer than my Buzzz's.

One advantage the Cyclone had is it has quite a bit more LSS, and still came back a bit when turned over. The Stalker on the hand will lock into that line all the way to the ground. Two different discs both with the same use IMO. A very vague analogy I can give is if a Stalker is a Buzzz on 'roids then the Cyclone is a Comet on 'roids but w/ more LSS.

Overall I'm leaning towards the Stalker as my PD compliment.

Booter said:
I love my glo gazelle as my tweener between pds n buzzzs. Works great

I have both so I'll try them out and see what prevails. I haven't really thrown my Champ Gazelles because of the winter and them being white (No, I haven't died them yet Dave).

To be back on topic:
#17 at the Moose Pretzel - Saturday
380' or 390'
hyzer flipped turnover
Lots of Pine and Spruce trees
30' downward elevation change
Park City, Utah
Deuce
Elation
In PD we trust

Z Stalkers do fade and do flex back from mild annies of just a few degrees. Glo Z Stalker is more overstable. My brick overstable ESP Cyclone does not penetrate headwinds at all. Almost.

Z stalkers will vary in stability. I used to throw stalkers in between rocs and pds but then I switched to buzzzs and rarely threw my stalkers. Glo stalkers are the most consistent.production z has its variations as well as the team and kansas esp stalkers. I hav one stalker thats flat and stiff,flies like a firebird.thats the beefiest ive seen. Stalkers are nice though,i have 2 aces on a glo and esp.

when I was throwing buzzzs I tired cyclones,eagles,and then settled on gazelles.cyclones get tossed around in most wind but gazelles and eagles fit into that fairway slot perfectly

Booter said:
Z stalkers will vary in stability. I used to throw stalkers in between rocs and pds but then I switched to buzzzs and rarely threw my stalkers. Glo stalkers are the most consistent.production z has its variations as well as the team and kansas esp stalkers. I hav one stalker thats flat and stiff,flies like a firebird.thats the beefiest ive seen. Stalkers are nice though,i have 2 aces on a glo and esp.

when I was throwing buzzzs I tired cyclones,eagles,and then settled on gazelles.cyclones get tossed around in most wind but gazelles and eagles fit into that fairway slot perfectly

What kind of Eagles...X or L?

JR said:
Z Stalkers do fade and do flex back from mild annies of just a few degrees. Glo Z Stalker is more overstable. My brick overstable ESP Cyclone does not penetrate headwinds at all. Almost.
This is true. My brand new glow z is quite beefy compared to my understable pdga esp. My description was a lil off they will fade but when I throw mine they are usually no more than 10-15ft or approx. 3-5m :wink: off the ground so when I do turn and burn one it most likely doesn't have the air under it needed to comeback.

himynameismatt said:
JR said:
This is true. My brand new glow z is quite beefy compared to my understable pdga esp. My description was a lil off they will fade but when I throw mine they are usually no more than 10-15ft or approx. 3-5m :wink: off the ground so when I do turn and burn one it most likely doesn't have the air under it needed to comeback.

Exactly that and at those heights PDs flex out more reliably.

Sean40474 said:
Booter said:

What kind of Eagles...X or L?

Both are viable discs L flips more X fades harder.

Booter said:
I was referring to x's sean.

I figured that, but I thought I'd ask. I know of people that have love affairs with Eagles, but they're either the L school or X school.....some like both (myself).

Almost threw my PD in the river yesterday. #15 at Peter's Creek, 373', and not much foliage anymore. The fairway pretty much forces you to throw a flex shot (RHBH) or a wicked flat hyzer. It was a max weight P that I'm glad didn't have the height to flex out or I would have been swimming or my coveted disc would have been gone. I then realized that the PD is too much for this hole and proceeded to pull out my ESP Cyclone. I almost threw this one in the river as well; hit the ground in time to skid to a nice stop JUST before the edge.

Sean40474 said:
Booter said:
I was referring to x's sean.

I figured that, but I thought I'd ask. I know of people that have love affairs with Eagles, but they're either the L school or X school.....some like both (myself).

Almost threw my PD in the river yesterday. #15 at Peter's Creek, 373', and not much foliage anymore. The fairway pretty much forces you to throw a flex shot (RHBH) or a wicked flat hyzer. It was a max weight P that I'm glad didn't have the height to flex out or I would have been swimming or my coveted disc would have been gone. I then realized that the PD is too much for this hole and proceeded to pull out my ESP Cyclone. I almost threw this one in the river as well; hit the ground in time to skid to a nice stop JUST before the edge.

Close call. If that was me I'd be chasing it down the fair way stripping off clothes and diving in head first like Hasselhoff from Baywatch.

himynameismatt said:
Close call. If that was me I'd be chasing it down the fair way stripping off clothes and diving in head first like Hasselhoff from Baywatch.

hasselhoffian-recursion.gif

Lol, horrible image Matt, but I appreciate the zeal your words depict.

I can't see your pic Bill.

I'll be going to a new local moutain course tonight (looks kind of like '08 pro worlds), so we'll see how the PD treats me. I have it in multiples of all plastics, so I should be able to work this monster course. If it gets too windy, I might bust out my Ape since I can't find my Xcal :(

Latest posts