• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The next great player....under 18 phenoms

Anthony Barela. Crushed the field in his age bracket at Worlds. His technique is a nearly an exact duplication of McBeth, and can throw over 500' at 13 y/o.

A 13 year old hitting 500... jesus. I have some work to do.

The boy I'm watching here in Missouri is Jake Hebenheimer. He's only 14 and can bomb it 550 ft. His mental was suspect at the start, but he's improving each week. His putting is coming around too. Playing 930+ rated rounds mainly now.

He's starting to play Advanced in C-Tiers. He had an incredible run at the Glass Blown Open... especially the last day in the 40 MPH winds. while we were all shooting double-digit over, he was like +1 through 14 if my memory serves me correct. He was the youngest of the bunch in the U-16 Am Worlds, so I'm looking for good things in a couple of years from Jake. Some manufacturers have already taken notice.

http://www.pdga.com/player_stats/59701

Here's a cool shot of Jake and Will retrieving discs during long distance competition....
picture.php

Austin is a very good kid! I know him and his game, he is one of the better putters ANYWHERE. That's what pros keep talking about his game as amazing... That is huge, he also has a very good demeanor, and is learning his game/game management from excellent pros with great attitudes. That speaks volumes to how he will develop as a person and player. He's 16 and got two years left in high school. He's my call based on his persona and game to go with it.

Matty, I've played with him (not in the last year though) and don't know nearly as well as Austin. He can be a headcase waiting top happen, seen him play great, and seen him play terrible - reacting much differently in both cases, arrogant and boasting vs. upset and miserable in parking lots a lunch. He indeed has great potential, but needs to mature before I could call him a breakout youngster. Not saying he can't be real good, but seen too many golfers suffer from head problems and hurting their own game (including mine!). If Matty Kash does hold his demeanor and learns, he can also be great.

Both Winwards are pretty damn good too, they have lots of potential, great parents and good demeanor. Which I obviously count very high when looking at younger players. Time will tell, but Jordan can out some great rounds together, and Justin is sooo young and has great shots already.

Those are the best Jrs that I know, and have played with all of them. This is not internet research, but personal observation. Would love to see all of the above turn into great players over the next few years!!!

This thread is about the growth of the sport, and a big deal. Whoever above said it doesn't matter as these kids are not Klimo is not seeing the growth of the sport from a wider lens... Couldn't discagree more! The kids and growth of the sport matter tremndously.

Connall Stillwagon, age 9. 1st place in <10yo Am Worlds this year, 2nd place for 3 years before that. World record holder for <7yo distance (59.45m, set when he was 6).

Article from Emporia Gazette about his ace at Worlds

Theres a video with McCabe interviewing him right after, can't find it now... His first ace ever came on #18 at Emporia Country Club (the peninsula hole) and he hit it with McCabe watching. From what I heard, that's the first time that hole has been aced.

This kids going places. Glad I have been there to see his growth on the course - ever since before he could walk he's been there. His father does an incredible amount for the local disc golf community and is a great friend. I just wish I could have started at that young of an age.

Last edited:
I'm going to throw my 8yr old Grandson,AW, from Hudson,WI out there. We have been playing for 3yrs and is doing real well. He has thrown for Cale Laviska and he was real impressed. Cale will be starting coaching lessons in the next few weeks to get him ready for AM worlds. AW and I went out to a small 9 hole course last night to play "serious" as he says and beat me by 2 strokes the first 9 and 1 stroke the second 9. I was flipping out when he sunk several puts over 30 feet and is developing a wicked forehand.
I'm not giving his name out because his Mom would freak out.

i seriously think forehanding is a cop out.

You're entitled to your wrong opinion.

we all know its harder to pull off touch annys and the sort but if someone flicks anything i lose all respect for them

As if KC gives
a rat's ass what you think of him.

Last time I checked, the object of the game was to complete a hole/round in the fewest number of throws, and you don't earn bonus points for style or degree of difficulty.

Throw the shot that gives YOU the highest probability of achieving your desired outcome in the immediate circumstances. If it's a touch anny, fine; but if it's forehand, overhead, scooby, chicken wing, or roller, so be it. Heck, throw opposite hand if circumstances dictate it. At the end of the round, they don't ask, "How?" they ask, "How many?"

nonsense.

im not being sarcastic at all, i think forehand shots are the easy way out every single time. timmy gill designed all my local courses and there are so many dogleg rights its disgusting. i seriously think forehanding is a cop out. we all know its harder to pull off touch annys and the sort but if someone flicks anything i lose all respect for them. i compare it to pushing mongo on skateboards, easier sometimes but BAD form. imagine if a baseball pitcher pulled out a underhand softball throw randomly, it would throw off the hitter and likely be beneficial, doesnt mean it isnt lame as hell.

i am not a troll, i dont care about getting reactions from people on the internet. i think youre wrong and am voicing my rebuttal in this public forum.

So you think we should strive to always throw the more difficult shot? I've got an accurate FH out to 300', and that took plenty of time in the field to learn. I'm not talking about some sloppy/wobbly FH with a meathook. I'm talking a clean hyzer with a C-FD. Its not called an "easy way out", its called a "I'm smarter than you and took the time in the field to make this shot a lot easier for me than it will be for you". :)

Austin is a very good kid! I know him and his game, he is one of the better putters ANYWHERE. That's what pros keep talking about his game as amazing... That is huge, he also has a very good demeanor, and is learning his game/game management from excellent pros with great attitudes. That speaks volumes to how he will develop as a person and player. He's 16 and got two years left in high school. He's my call based on his persona and game to go with it.

Matty, I've played with him (not in the last year though) and don't know nearly as well as Austin. He can be a headcase waiting top happen, seen him play great, and seen him play terrible - reacting much differently in both cases, arrogant and boasting vs. upset and miserable in parking lots a lunch. He indeed has great potential, but needs to mature before I could call him a breakout youngster. Not saying he can't be real good, but seen too many golfers suffer from head problems and hurting their own game (including mine!). If Matty Kash does hold his demeanor and learns, he can also be great.
Agreed, having played with both of them. Austin is a great player and person, and I anticipate him doing great things!

Austin is 16- working on his forehand currently. 5 MPO victories so far... and digs potatoes way better than any of the others...;)

Latest posts