• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] The RDG Tyrant: fairway driver

We have 500 guys... don't worry. We stocked this one a tad bit deeper than most RDG releases lol.

I will say that we are already selling a bunch of these. I look forward to getting some killer stamps placed on this gorgeous Armor plastic so that you all can retain for a stack.

I'm going to bet money that this becomes a staple disc for Andy. Your short arm, snappy style is kinda similar to RDG pro Chris Gore and he is just lacing the Tyrant all around.

We have 500 guys... don't worry. We stocked this one a tad bit deeper than most RDG releases lol.

I will say that we are already selling a bunch of these. I look forward to getting some killer stamps placed on this gorgeous Armor plastic so that you all can retain for a stack.

I'm going to bet money that this becomes a staple disc for Andy. Your short arm, snappy style is kinda similar to RDG pro Chris Gore and he is just lacing the Tyrant all around.

Yeah those of us with short arms have to use a little more leg/hip/core explosion to throw a disc. It makes it look like our arms are moving much faster than they really are, or at least compared to longer arms. The hit point is moving at the same speed...it's just a weird optical illusion.

The down side to it is short armed throwers are very susceptible to OAT...which is why Teebirds are the staple of my driver game. I can see the Tyrant being very, very useful for such drives.

the real question: is it to early to be talking about other plastic blends for the Tyrant lol?

This blend is so nice. It feels very similar to the color glow champion that Innova has now. Softer than some premiums and a lot of grip.

But next up I'm. Going to have them play with lighter weights, translucent plastic and maybe a baseline version to season in.

I've been loving how flat topped my Amber Raptors are and am very excited to hear the Tyrants turned out the same! Can't want to get this in my hand and have a 100% RDG bag (at least RDG stamped mids) in my Gecko. Asked Josh to grab a puddle top if there's one easy to nab, so we'll see. Just may become by go-to forehand driver if it's puddle topped and holds to those flight numbers.

Congratulations, Reptilian! Your line-up is looking phenomenal.

Here is a quick video of the Tyrant in flight: https://youtu.be/yz7x_U6FtLQ

As you can see, this thing doesn't want to turn. You can put a whole lot of power behind the Tyrant with confidence knowing that it will always come back. The fade is strong but lacks the knife that a Raptor/Firebird possesses.
I had hoped the Tyrant would become my Go To upon entering the bag... it will most CERTAINLY do that.

I love the look at of the flight in the video. Looks similar to my (2013) AJ Star Teebird (well at least close when the AJ was fresher, not now that it's been in my bag for 3 years). Looking forward to getting these!

We shot a bunch more video today of the Tyrant in flight. RDG Pro, Chris Gore, fell in love with the predictability.

Off the shelf these are definitely more OS than a Teebird. Close to Banshee stability without having a knife like fade. Given a bit of intentional abuse however it mellows out into an amazingly reliable straight to fade driver with ZERO risk of an accidental yank turnover. It's always leveling off and finishing comfortably.

The Tyrant instantly becomes my most thrown driver and disc I am reaching for on any given shot. I cannot wait to see how many birdies you guys snag using these.

I'd really like to get this, but think I'm going to have to pass for now. (too much tasty HS drivers coming out of MVP right now, plus moving costs!)

I do have a question or two. How do you see this flying vs what inbounds flight chart says? I see that it is very close to a few other fairway drivers I have, like the Notch, Resistor and Stag, but just a bit shorter.

And for the second question...I forgot, so there is no second question!

For now!

Alright got a round in with Mr. Cassidy this morning and he hooked me up with a couple of Tyrants so here we go with some initial thoughts.

First off the plastic feels great. Its similar to a star or ESP plastic with a nice tacky feel (they look slick though but aren't) and a little bit of flex to it. Jamie handed me one of that he "intentionally" beat up and it seemed to hold up well, but only time will tell for sure. I'm really digging this plastic blend so far. It appears there are 2 "variations" of tyrants in this run; they are either pancake flat, or they have a little bit of a puddle top going for them.

As for the flight:
I'll start off by saying I throw teebirds 330 ish or so consistently maybe a little further on a good day, but today was not one of those good days. The tyrant seems to be exactly what RDG set out for when they started working on this mold. It is for sure a banshee teebird hybrid type disc. They are for sure beefier than a teebird out of box, but I don't think its quite to a banshees fade. There seems to be no way to get any high speed turn out of them, even out of the one Jamie had beaten in. For me its not quite as workable as what I typically like in a disc, but I think with some use I can beat some of the low speed fade out and make it work for me. They fight out of most anny lines, and should be solid wind fighters.
I also threw a couple of Forehands, which my forehand is terrible, but was pleasantly surprised with the flight I got out of it.

Could be a little too beefy for shorter arms, but could definitely fill a roll in any bag.

Over all I'm pleased with the Tyrant after 1 round with it, and see it finding a spot in my bag between the raptors and pteros, But I'll probably be holding on to a beat teebird or 2 for a while. Hopefully the tyrant will beat in to kick them out.

My Tyrant is arriving tomorrow.... If the weather holds I'll be giving it a test drive. Any news on when the stamped ones will be up on the site?

My Tyrant is arriving tomorrow.... If the weather holds I'll be giving it a test drive. Any news on when the stamped ones will be up on the site?

Still working on finalizing the stamp choice. It's always a painful decision picking one over the other.

I have to say again that this disc turned out exactly how I had hoped. Very little learning curve when you know it's a straight to fade machine. Let it rip and let it fade in for the bird.

If one were to shoot a review video for the Tyrant, what would you all like to see it compared against?

Right now Im thinking
Raptor
Teebird (champ and star)
Banshee
Sexton Firebird

2nd run fd and brinster bird sounds like pretty good discs to compare it to.

If one were to shoot a review video for the Tyrant, what would you all like to see it compared against?

Right now Im thinking
Raptor
Teebird (champ and star)
Banshee
Sexton Firebird

Longbow as well if possible.

I was thinking these were going to be pretty close, except for the tyrant having a true 7 speed rim. But reports on the new run of longbow are that they have dome and are less stable.

Still working on finalizing the stamp choice. It's always a painful decision picking one over the other.

I have to say again that this disc turned out exactly how I had hoped. Very little learning curve when you know it's a straight to fade machine. Let it rip and let it fade in for the bird.

Sounds sweet to me! Mine will be here Monday; so hard to wait over the weekend! As far as the stamp goes, why not choose a couple? I mean if you've got 500 of them (maybe 450 with the blanks you've sold), it seems like there's room for at least a couple stamps. You could do a couple hundred with one stamp now and then save some blanks for a different stamp later...

Latest posts