• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] The RDG Tyrant: fairway driver

For those that aren't jiving with the puddles, shoot me your address via PM and we can replace them with a flat one. This mold deserves to be thrown in its most comfortable form!

The Tyrant is easily the most thrown disc in my bag right now. I'm using it for straight (and I mean straight) to fade shots up to the 340 range RHBH. The Tyrant has also become my new forehand disc for anything up to 250 feet (my forehand is garbage). I can throw it high on a hyzer and have it stick, or throw it a few feet off the ground and play the massive skips. Much more workable than the Raptor or a fresh Firebird IMO. It fits perfect in between my Firebird, and slightly beat Champ Teebird. Where the Teebird will develop a wiggle or turn under power, or windy conditions, the Tyrant is capable of handling it all. Predictable flight in any conditions. The plastic is star-ish type, with a phenomenal feel and amazing shine/sparkle in the sun. AWESOME mold guys!!

For those that aren't jiving with the puddles, shoot me your address via PM and we can replace them with a flat one. This mold deserves to be thrown in its most comfortable form!

Sent a message about this a couple of days ago.

Guess I got to become a puddle top man. Lol

I ordered one of these. Excited to see how it stacks up next to my early run Opto Spark for hardcore forehand duty. From what I have read in this thread I am expecting them to be fairly similar although I have not seen this comparison made yet.

I've got one of these guys on the way and I can't wait to see how it goes. Have a metal flake TB and a VIP Stag I'm going to compare it to in the vid.

Tyrant came in the mail today. Immediately impressed by the feel of the plastic. Soft, grippy, FLAT old star pretty much nailed it. Exactly as advertised.

Went outside and ripped a FH right away. STRAIGHT. I mean STRAIGHT. And I heard a whoosh from the disc cutting air. And then the hookup happened. Bam! That hookup tho. Wow.

A few more throws confirmed that the Tyrant is much more workable than my Spark. I like that. As others have said, this seems to sit right between a firebird and a fresh teebird. Out of the box, it's not long (at least for me) I was getting it out to distances that seem like mid range distances at first. I think it will take me a little work to really dial in the power band for this disc but I can already sense that it will be intuitive.

That first throw. It was a thing of beauty. Straight to FADE. And I mean STRAIGHT to FADE. Watching that Tyrant hook up out of a laser straight shot and then abruptly set itself down was very exciting. I can see already how with some good seasoning this thing will be an absolute fairway work horse.

For me it was pretty much EXACTLY as advertised. Very well done RDG. Very well done.

That hookup tho.

As I think about this a little more, I'm realizing that the Tyrant doesn't really sit in between the Teebird and Firebird, it sits right in between the Opto Spark and Teebird. The reason I say this is because of the slower speed of the Tyrant which matches up better with the Spark in terms of range compared to the Firebird which is longer. Or so it seems.

Regardless, I found that it flies exactly as advertised which is really sort of refreshing, you know?

I'm really looking forward to getting to know all the uses for this killer new disc. I threw one thumber that honestly shocked me and almost landed on my roof because it went waaaaaay further in its pan than I expected it too. Exciting stuff.

You have made a good one here JC. The plastic is straight up amazing. The flex is there, but it's still nicely stiff and has a great grip. The Eagle like lower wing is really nice for both BH and FH especially since the top is flat and the rim isn't that deep.

I don't like it better than the fairways I carry all the time(Firebird/Stag) but I threw it in my small bag this weekend because is can fulfill 80% of both duties in one disc.

The hit and stick of this guy should not be underestimated either. The X wing doesn't want to skip. Was easily throwing 380ish lasers with it today with a good fade.

Good job on this one!

Awesome to read great feedback from players that I respect.

The Tyrant is my baby. IMO there isn't a better all around "power player" fairway to build around.
I can throw fairways 350-400 on good rips and these hold up to all the pop I can muster.
My seasoned tyrants are things of beauty as well.
Perfect for those straight to fade shots that need to penetrate a bit before they hook up.

I am quite biased but this fairway is without a doubt my favorite that I have ever thrown.

One of the best fairways that I have owned was a really beefy DX Banshee that seasoned up into a total workhorse. The stability didn't last however and it was tossed when a replacement was impossible to find.
The Tyrant is nearly identical in flight but features a flatter top & superior plastic.

I played a competitive round yesterday and the Tyrant thoroughly impressed my card mates. Full power shots resisted turn and held loonnnngggg straight to fade lines. My seasoned Tyrant was responsible for the majority of my fairway work and every rip was thrown with utmost confidence.

If you are wanting to try a new "power" fairway in your bag, the Tyrant is a fantastic choice. You won't find a better stability profile to build around than this mold.

Stamped Tyrants are back in stock!

BuZzeOx.jpg

Anybody ever FH roll that proto1? That looked like a xXx on steroids.

Bummer. Just tried to snag one of the Hamsa stamped Tyrants and was apparently too slow on the draw.

We can do another small run.
I think I have like 25 blanks left.

If you do decide to another run of these or one with Element's Lotus you could definitely put me down for a few of either/both. Love those stamps and love your Armor plastic, seems like a perfect marriage to me.

Hi, I just got a brand new RDG Tyrant, and it has a dome top.
Should I expect it to be more overstable or less than the original flat/puddle top run?

I think the domey ones are actually slightly less stable. The ones with a real puddle top are more os.

Hi, I just got a brand new RDG Tyrant, and it has a dome top.
Should I expect it to be more overstable or less than the original flat/puddle top run?

The new run flies like a baby destroyer.
We had them cool these without a fixture so the VIP group would have a little variation vs. The stock runs.

I think they're still amazing flyers and actually allows me to carry another Tyrant that I can keep straight for longer.

So pumped to see RDG getting the rep with the VIP Club! I was beyond stoked when I opened up the monthly package to see my favorite Craft Disc company with one of my favorite discs. At first, the dome threw me, but after throwing the disc, holy hell. I freaking love it. A little more high speed turn, a noticeable bit more glide, and still has a good bite in the fade. It's like a Reptilian Eagle! (and the Eagle is my #1 all-time favorite disc) So pumped! :D

Only issue... I don't think the ID artists realized "Tyrant" as in "Saurus", not "Violent Dictator".
lol

Latest posts