• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] The RDG Tyrant: fairway driver

I am pumped about seeing Mind Open stamped Tyrants. Can't wait to get one. I have been meaning to try out another Tyrant. My first one is puddle topped and really overstable (like Viper overstable).

Interested in these dome ones for sure. Right now the flat topped/puddle topped combo is pretty great with the two I have (that puddle topped Hamsa stamp (yep, tracked one down) is the nastiest spike hyzer machine I have ever thrown...love a disc with attitude), but an addition with just a tick more glide and turn potential would be killer (throwing a Laseri for that right now). Outside of the VIP Club offering, anywhere this dome run may be popping up?

Interested in these dome ones for sure. Right now the flat topped/puddle topped combo is pretty great with the two I have (that puddle topped Hamsa stamp (yep, tracked one down) is the nastiest spike hyzer machine I have ever thrown...love a disc with attitude), but an addition with just a tick more glide and turn potential would be killer (throwing a Laseri for that right now). Outside of the VIP Club offering, anywhere this dome run may be popping up?

I am SO hoping they do another run that isn't fixture cooled like this run. It's really like a different disc. Same feel on the bottom wing, but a little domey, and it flies like an Eagle L. Truly came out spectacular. The Eagle is my first love as a driver from about 14 years ago and this domey Tyrant flies just like a fresh Eagle. Thrown flat, she'll give a little bit of turn, good glide, then a biting fade like a Tyrannosaurus Rex biting the roof off a Jeep! :D It's as if a Valkyrie and Firebird smashed it dirty and had a love-child. I'd really put it more in the 8-9 speed category off the distance I'm getting, but it still bites down hard when it slows down. I'd say closer to 8/4.5/-1/2.5 rather than the flat top's 7/3/0/2.5. I'm loving this pairing more every time I throw them both.

Don't think I ever posted these here, but I tested out some slightly puddle topped Tyrants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z1KzRxQfeU - Field test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErunijlQzVY - Playing a round with the Tyrant, Scale and Serpent.

I take from the first video you're getting about 350' or so with those? I have a small-ish arm and max out around 400'-420' +/- with drivers and can really only get my flat-topped Tyrants to a bit over 300'. These new domey Tyrants are flying as far (although more aggressive) than my CD2s. About 350' for me. More glide, more speed, and a touch of high speed turn. When forced into an anhyzer, I actually get a long turnover before coming back with a strong fade. (all RHBH) I'd be really interested to see someone with your power throw this domey run and see if it could hit 400'.

I was hitting 450'+ with them on the flex lines from what I remember, and no issues hitting 400' on flat throws. That fence in the field video is about 560' away for reference, and I threw a few shots within 100' of it.

I was hitting 450'+ with them on the flex lines from what I remember, and no issues hitting 400' on flat throws. That fence in the field video is about 560' away for reference, and I threw a few shots within 100' of it.

With a flat-top Tyrant??? I don't think we can be friends anymore. :D

I am SO hoping they do another run that isn't fixture cooled like this run. It's really like a different disc. Same feel on the bottom wing, but a little domey, and it flies like an Eagle L. Truly came out spectacular. The Eagle is my first love as a driver from about 14 years ago and this domey Tyrant flies just like a fresh Eagle. Thrown flat, she'll give a little bit of turn, good glide, then a biting fade like a Tyrannosaurus Rex biting the roof off a Jeep! :D It's as if a Valkyrie and Firebird smashed it dirty and had a love-child. I'd really put it more in the 8-9 speed category off the distance I'm getting, but it still bites down hard when it slows down. I'd say closer to 8/4.5/-1/2.5 rather than the flat top's 7/3/0/2.5. I'm loving this pairing more every time I throw them both.

Which run are you talking about? It sounds great!

I think there is a neglect in the speed 7 category (based on Innova's scale)that flies like a -1/2.5.

The Eagle L flies like that but it seems to be in the rear-view mirror with Innova with the Eagle-X taking it's spot so it may not be a wise decision to stock up on the Eagle L. The Eagle X and Tbird fly more stable with the EX needing some seasoning to get to that -1/2.5 spot. Other fairways like the FD, Pipeline, Rival, Crave, Clash, Ptero, etc. are either going to be more neutral or have a little more HSS stability with each having a larger rim than your typical speed 7 rim (based on PDGA measurements).

Personally, I think the 1.7 rim is ideal place for a fairway, because it allows for solid grip on the disc, control, and distance. That's why I would like to see a company come out with a disc that has a flight rating of -1/2.5.

Glad you guys are digging the Tyrant in the domed configuration!

The first Tyrant proto out of our shop was this version and we loved the flight. I just wanted the first release to be beefy and flat. Our next full run might just have to be in this configuration.

Does Jamie (or anyone) know if the Tyrants that just listed on Infinite Discs are the same flat-top ones?

Those are the darker red like the Infinite VIP. I would have to assume they are the same run and are the less stable domey version. Flies more like a 7/5/-1/2. I LOVE this run, if it is indeed the domey version! Might just have to grab one to find out. :D

Those are the darker red like the Infinite VIP. I would have to assume they are the same run and are the less stable domey version. Flies more like a 7/5/-1/2. I LOVE this run, if it is indeed the domey version! Might just have to grab one to find out. :D

I asked Todd from Infinite to confirm (thought the same thing when I saw the color). Hoping they have some dome.

Per Todd, some of the reddish ones on the Infinite site do have some dome.

The race is on (though it might just be between Reniger and I as I haven't seen anyone else that likes the less OS as much as we...but everyone should).

I like the flat puddle top ones. I was messing around with mine along with a fresh Fuzion Criminal the other day. They are both very similar with the puddle Tyrant being a touch slower but both fly about the same for me. Honestly, I prefer the Tyrant and it powers down better.

Per Todd, some of the reddish ones on the Infinite site do have some dome.

The race is on (though it might just be between Reniger and I as I haven't seen anyone else that likes the less OS as much as we...but everyone should).

I would probably like them....but I really don't like throwing max weight drivers....

slightly interested, but too heavy for my liking......

The two I ordered from Infinite came yesterday - both looked pretty flat. Perfect!!

Latest posts