• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The shot you're MOST proud of

Many years ago, playing doubles for the first time, I had a local pro as my partner. He was the type of guy who thought he was a much better player than he really was and he was always trying to tell people how to play. "What you want to do here is..." "Why are you throwing that disc? You should use a Roc for that shot." etc, etc. Anyhow, he was noticeably upset that he drew me as a partner since I wasn't a regular and he assumed that I was no good.

We get to the CTP hole and the other two guys discuss splitting the money if one of them hit it. I had no idea about such things, so I asked my partner if we were going to split the money should one of us hit it. He kinda stares at me for a minute and then starts laughing, "You expect me to give you half my money? No way, dude." Alright, it's every man for himself. My partner throws and has a decent shot, it is clearly the current closest disc. He celebrates a little, talks a little trash to the other guys and basically ignores me. I step up, stare down the basket (it's about a 285' hole), take a deep breath and proceed to park the shot. The other guys congratulate me and my partner stands there shaking his head, looking a bit salty. It wasn't much money, only $30, but it was all mine. I'll always remember that one.

Another chance to bring this up....

2012 DGCR Flyboy Meetup Dubs. My partner was Kevinmzane. We were on our last hole #25 and we were down one stroke. We knew we needed to put one close to put the pressure on them otherwise they could of just laid up on the left then throw over the water and take a 3 to win. I was up first, QJLS.

We won.

1200' Comet shot at Solitude Mountain Resort. Doubt I will ever top that one.

a77e82a2.jpg

I'm pretty proud of all 3 of my aces:

#1 - Flyboy Hangar ace (GL Trident, skip off the roof):

#2 - Sandy Creek Park, Hole 14 (200g DX Condor) ... amazed that the Condor stayed in the basket:

9f1b5b54.jpg

#3 - Called my ace at McCurry Park on Hole 6, 5 days before I hit it to drain the $400+ doubles ace fund ... called the hole and the disc ... and I have proof:

4WDipkt.jpg

Hole 16 El dorado threw a perfect lhbh anhyzer, weaved left through a 4 foot gap then faded back like 2 feet past the basket, it happened today . It was a beautiful one

Probably my most proud moment was when i was playing a btier at sinnisippi. 600 foot hole i have a great first shot, roller, left me with 325 im thirteen so that was a great shot for me... I proceeded to screw up my second and third shots and a funky airbounce on my fourth left me a 100ft look at five, but i nailed it. The next hole i hit chains from 150 out. The same day my cousin steven jacobs hit a field ace from 220 out.

It was the last week of league and the ace pot was around $100-150.

The first hole plays down a little hill. You tee from up top about 100' back and the basket is another 150'+ from the bottom of the hill. You can barely see the top of the basket from the tee.

Oh and there's a bunch of trees.

There was a big turn out that day with everyone chasing the ace pool.

Luckily my group started on hole #1 and we had six people on our card.
Everyone else throws putters on this hole, including me. Well usually.

That day I threw a hard low line drive tomahawk with my 11x 160g firebird. It flipped perfectly threw the trees and touched down about 10' from the basket. It skipped twice off the flight plate and bounced right into the basket. No chains.

Craziest shot I've ever pulled off.

Playing Rum Village in Indiana when I was visiting. Had just discovered the Pure (Grip, before Opto came about). Figured I'd use it for "approach shots" since Clearwater clearly wanted me to buy more discs and apparently thinks that there needs to be a disc between putters and mids. I fell for it, saw about a 100' approach on about the 5th hole and decided that it was a good time for this approach disc. Nothing but chains. Haven't stopped throwing Pures since. I really do miss that Grip plastic though.

Same shot with a grip pure but a nice 20 MPH headwind I flipped it up and lazer into the basket. I guess the new stiffer plastics are comparable but the the grip line was like a tacky star plastic MMMMM just had to wear the gloss off at first lol otherwise there was nothing grippy about them.

my best was probably a crazy backwards stance sky anny through a tree from 200+ out on the right side of a fairway where I looked at my buddies dad like welp here it goes and threw a stupid shoot probably should have laid up but tossed it up, bended down and grabbed my bag and CHINGGGGG-- mashed it into the basket for a shot you couldn't replicate ever again but that's the best part of DG' theres some luck no matter how good you are :) I sucked back then!

Last edited:
i have a couple that've happened, but my favorite was when i hit our ace pot at kenwood trail this year, at eastside throwdown

it was the last week for anybody to get it - if nobody hit it, it was going to our league finale for prizes. crappy weather, windy and rainy. i had talked to my buddy before the round and told him i was going to hit it - HAD to hit it - today.

well, we started on hole 12; i skipped up and around/behind the basket with an elite x nuke on hole 15. chained out with the opto pure on hole 1. doinked the post on hole 4 with my summit.

well, hole 11 is not aceable for me or any human i know.

hole 10 was, though. ;) i looked at my card and said "well guys, i have to make this one." short little hyzer through the woods with the summit, 200$ in my pocket.

i yelled like nuts; there are other shots that are more impressive, better executed, but none that seemed to matter as much as that one. second ace. :)

I'm sure I've had better, but it's been a while.....

The other night in my first glow round we were playing our first hole in the woods. Couldn't see crap so me and my partner both nail a tree about halfway down the fairway of a 280 ft. hole, and ended up just off the fairway to the left. I grabbed my Champ Rhyno, which I was only using because I could see my glow sticks so much easier (I never use it, ever). Threw a completely blind anhyzer forehand shot and heard chains for the deuce. I'm sure it wasn't my best shot but I was darn proud of it myself.

Mine would have to be a pretty recent shot. I have had two aces in about a year and a 1/2 of playing but those just don't do it for me. (although those were pretty awesome).
Hole 13 at my new local course is a big downhill number that runs through tight woods, over a small river and ends in a large field. (doesnt end at grandmothers house though).
I threw my lace at about 80% out on a slight hyzer, flipped to flat and then began its turn and descent right under the basket for my dunk in putt. 408 to the long pin and through all the twists and turns!
A thing of beauty, and what made it better is that until that day i had never even come close to the basket. My best attempts were with an incredibly sneaky thumber that ended 100 feet short. But not that day http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course_pics/92/c33d029c.jpg

I have only been playing a year and some. About a month ago we are at this liitle 9 holer. Hole 8 torturizes me at this course. It is a little 295 that just needs the right hyzer for an ace. Not to tight a fair way but tight enough. So I pull my tl and let go and here this plastic on metal thunk. you cant really see the basket from the pin because there is a tree in front of it so I step to the side and look and there is my disc stuck in the outside of the basket. I was so mad but so thrilled at the same time. Not an ace, but the closest I have came to one and pretty darn thrilling.

A deuce on hole 18, Original Hudson Mills, league round circa 1997, from about mid fairway, and telling a pro/adv player about it the next week, and having him reply that it was the only hole on that course that he hadn't 2'd yet. That one has stuck with me.

Nice! I did the very same thing in 1998 during their summer solstice event, used my Capital City Renegades' stamp Aviar P&A, the only time I've ever deuced it as well...

A deuce on hole 18, Original Hudson Mills, league round circa 1997, from about mid fairway, and telling a pro/adv player about it the next week, and having him reply that it was the only hole on that course that he hadn't 2'd yet. That one has stuck with me.

I had the stupidest 3 on that hole. My drive landed behind the giant bush on the left side of the fairway. No BH, no roller, not really a FH available to me. I throw basically a cross between a RHFH and a Tomahawk with a max weight Flick. It starts tracking left ever so slowly, hits a tree on the left and kicks under the basket for a drop-in 3.

It's been 3 or 4 years since, and it's still the hardest 3 for me on that course.

The shot I am most proud of would probably be when I was tied for 1st in an intermediate tournament a few years back. We were going to have a play off for first and it was a long hole (back then for me) at about 350'. I could only drive about 300-325 max back then and my opponent can throw over 500. We had a decent little gallery and I throw a super worm-burner about 50' from the pro-pad and he lands pin-high about 30' right of the bucket. I shake it off and count it as a loss and throw my upshot and am almost touching the basket for an easy drop in 3. My opponent air balls his putt, misses the next, and takes a four. I was hella proud of my upshot.

Mine was actually yesterday at the Fling at Chavez Ridge, never played there before so I knew I was in for a treat and possibly a lot if trouble. The whole course plays in the side of the hill by Dodger Stadium. Everyone talks about the freeway hole where your elevated about 100ft and 300-330 out from the pin on a peninsula where if you blow right your ob on the road or waaaay down the hill and if you fall left it's err about 500 ft drop to oblivion or your disc lands on the freeway.

So we finally get there and I'm excited to see what it looks like having never seen, played, or seen pictures of it. I look down and I'm like 'oh' if I flip my sidearm I'm done for haha. So I incisions a straight line out with a fade into the tree above the basket. Step up with my destroyer and flick the cleanest most unwobbly sidearm I ever had filling the exact line I wanted and boom! Hits the tree and drops straight down right next to the pin. Didn't even think of an ace there but it was pretty close to possibly falling in. Not my best shot ever but the one I was most proud of because I was nervous, excited, tense, and didn't want to lose a disc and I stepped up shook all that off and threw the exact shot I wanted. It was definetly the highlight of my otherwise lackluster rounds.

I was playing a round with some buddies a couple weeks ago at The Players Club in Galena, OH when I threw one of my best drives ever on hole number 7 (the picture attached is of the hole). I threw a big hyzer shot (which is a shot I normally struggle with because of my lack of power) that flew out over the lake on the right. I was nervous that I was going to lose my disc in the water but thankfully it came crashing down onto the green area. That led to a birdy putt opportunity that I sank into the chains. One of the best holes I have ever thrown!

Attachments

• 09a7269e.jpg
    09a7269e.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 29
My favorite recent shot that comes to memory was literally (in the newfangled meaning that is the exact opposite of literal) a laser beam from the tee pad to the basket. At no time were the chains anywhere but directly behind the disc from my view on the tee pad.

And, of course, it smashed the chains dead center and plopped out a foot away.

I love how straight I can get an Eagle to fly. Just point and click.

Latest posts