• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ulibarri Displays True Sportsmanship

God obviously didn't want GG's putt to go in. Ulibarri becomes Job.

Personally, if I were the guy who had a putt bounce out in a fluky way like that, I would never want or expect another player to purposely drop a stroke to make up for it. The way our equipment is, that's just part of the game, and it happens to everyone sooner or later. If they had already split the money, that makes it pretty meaningless though.

this

Players in "real" sports (with big money involved) will actually show this type of courtesy. For example, in soccer, if an opposing player is injured, your team is allowed to keep playing. But as often as not, even at the World Cup level, the other team will kick the ball out of bounds to stop play.

Of course, if the money had already been split, it's not much of a courtesy. I didn't realize top players made those kinds of deals. I wonder how tournament sponsors feel about this sort of thing. You'd think they'd want a finals that actually means something.

When Cale Leiviska and Geoff Bennett had a sudden death playoff at Marshall Street 3 or 4 years ago, TD Jason Southwick was really bumming that they had decided to split the money.

Kind of a hard thing to disallow, if you try to police something like that, people can exchange money after leaving the tournament or send a check in the mail...

The whole agreement to splitting the pot, or douchebaggery vs. decency arguments aside, I can't help but feel like this particular move was also a statement about the 'unfairness' of our current basket models. No, I'm not saying they're somehow unfair from a technical standpoint.. just players occasionally feel like a putt that could not have possibly missed didn't stay in the basket. If you can't change the laws of physics or probability, maybe it's just time to design a 'fairer' basket?

What would a "fairer" basket be? Something that catches everything that touches it? Maybe we should re-design the game of basketball so that if the ball touches any part of the rim the player gets 1 point - and 2 if it goes through the net.

This way we can all be winners and nobody's feelings will get hurt ever, and we can all be friends and build forts and have sleepovers!

Please...bounce outs happen, they're part of the game, yadda yadda yadda. What most people overlook is - if the putt bounces out it's the players fault. The correct amount of torque, forward velocity, angle of incident, etc. was not there - so the shot bounces out. If you want to be a perfect putter, then putt perfectly. Don't expect the basket to be the perfect part of it and you just be the putter.

Players in "real" sports (with big money involved) will actually show this type of courtesy. For example, in soccer, if an opposing player is injured, your team is allowed to keep playing. But as often as not, even at the World Cup level, the other team will kick the ball out of bounds to stop play.

Of course, if the money had already been split, it's not much of a courtesy. I didn't realize top players made those kinds of deals. I wonder how tournament sponsors feel about this sort of thing. You'd think they'd want a finals that actually means something.

I call BS on this one. Brian Urlacher missed the entire season with a wrist injury last year - nobody played their backup RB when the game was tied just so it would be fair.

I'm not questioning Ulibarri - it was his choice and I don't think this is a right vs. wrong argument. However I question the labeling of sportsmanship in this case. The word has "sport" in it, and sport by definition requires competition. Refusing to compete when it would have been perfectly legal and fair for him to attempt to sink a putt is not sportsmanship. I wouldn't go so far as to call it "douchebaggery" like some, but respecting your opponent and the rules of the game is part of sportsmanship. I feel like this is a patronizing move, and if I was GG it would have pissed me off. It's disrespectful to me as a competitor for someone to "give me a 2nd chance".

Though I'm opposed to splitting the loot in the first place so...

Can't stop it, especially when the money difference might mean gas money to the next stop on tour. The players accept the official checks or cash amounts as planned by the TD and that's what's reported to the PDGA for money winnings tracking. Then, after the event, the players split it up. It's not much different than players who tour together sharing their winnings to keep their "tour bus" rolling.

It is funny to me that people think it is wrong to split the cash. It is not your cash and does not alter your life it any way. If you are ever in that position, you have the option to split or play for it. I would never be upset with someone that offered either way (split or play). Everyone has and is entitled to their own opinion, but I have no issue with this at all. This is a normal and regular thing in poker tournaments and these are scattered with luck (both good and bad).

Thoughts?
Ulibarri Displays True Sportsmanship
Reposted account by VPO tournament director Chris Browning: "GG (Garrett Gurthie) won in the playoff over (Paul) Ulibarri on the third hole. Paul exhibited one of the greatest moments of sportsmanship I have ever witnessed in disc golf. On the first playoff hole, both players' second shots were close. Garrett was out and on ...a 15' putt, he hit dead center chain and the disc dropped in the basket. However, what happened next I have never seen before the disc hit the bottom of the cage and bounced out."
Not wanting to win on the flukiest of shots, Paul threw his putt into the dirt and both players finished out with a 4.

"On the next hole Paul got into trouble on the drive and had to pitch out into the fairway. GG's drive was laying nicely, and he threw his approach to about 20' away. Paul's upshot was parked, but GG missed the putt to win, forcing a third hole."

"The guys played Hole 1, which is a 594' hole that has a dogleg right into a small opening in the trees about 80' from the basket. Paul threw a great drive that landed about 20' short of the opening. GG uncorked an anhyzer that glided perfectly through the opening and left him putting for 2 from about 35' out. Paul's upshot landed about 10' behind GG's drive, and Paul attempted a long jump putt that fell short, leaving him laying three by the basket. GG missed the long putt, but had a drop-in 3 to secure the win."

Stay Classy, Paul Ulibarri...

Personally, I would have taken the win....bounce outs are part of the game.
that makes two of us

maybe GG needs to use a softer putter :D

I think it's a strange move, honestly. Sucks that GG's putt bounced out but as previously mentioned, it has nothing to do with the basket. The odds of that happening are incredibly low. But it has to happen every once in a while. And it also means that GG putted just a bit too hard.

I'd see nothing wrong with two guys tied for first place making it look like they fought for the win in the official record, but casually agreeing to split the money. The eventual winner has the money credited to their stats, but cuts the loser half the difference. Probably happens all the time.

I'd see nothing wrong with two guys tied for first place making it look like they fought for the win in the official record, but casually agreeing to split the money. The eventual winner has the money credited to their stats, but cuts the loser half the difference. Probably happens all the time.

It does, happens at almost every major NT, especially tournaments with more then 2 rounds.

I'm not really sure what to think on any of the matters brought up in this thread. Having seen Ulibarri play a few tournaments I played in, I am surprised at his actions. He is a super competative guy, a fun guy, but super competative. I saw him hit just about center chains in a final 9 and not make the putt. He was pretty stinking upset about it. I give him props for what he did.

As far as splitting the difference in cash for the guys tied is concerned. I think that is a classy move. I don't think I have ever seen it done, certainly not at the last tournament where I saw two guys tie and go through the playoffs despite the TD saying he would split the money. I really think they played for the super cool trophies at the tournament though. If I were the guy loosing, I would not expect a split. He earned it, even if I had a fluke bounce out.

Spitouts happen. I dont know about pro's, but when i have a spit out, i usualy find some flaw in my throw i can connect to the spit out.

I would never have done that.

So the spectators thought there was $500 on the line ($1500 vs. $1000) but the guys were just playing for a trophy and bragging rights. If that's the case, I'd rather just watch 'em play a practice round in the park. Don't people want to see pros sinking that pressure putt for big money? I certainly do. This puts finals on par with the thrill of watching a Cubby ace.

Maybe tournament directors should acknowledge this accepted practice by just paying the top four positions exactly the same, and giving a significant piece of merchandise to the winner. Make it pain to sell the item, or make it valuable enough you wouldn't want to sell it. Or else provide something intangible, like a back massage.

I guess I'm just naive. I've hung around tournaments for a lot of years but hadn't heard about this practice. Thanks for the heads up. If I ever get lucky enough to play for decent pocket change in an age-limited division, I now know to expect the question, "So, you wanna split the pot?"