• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC coverage

Anon

Double Eagle Member
While there is no "traditional live stream" at this year´s event, stay tuned to Facebook for segments of live video of round action commented by 2009 World Champ Avery Jenkins, who's also no stranger to the twists and turns of the Winthrop Gold Course.

Facebook Live segments instead of a live stream. Ugh.

Feels like a bit of a step backwards for a premiere tournament that always had a solid stream and one of the more 'advanced' production setups.

Guessing the contract was up and they just got tired of sinking money into it for the past couple years.

Thoughts?

I know some are content with post-edited rounds (and I mostly am)... but for these big events its always nice to watch it unfold in real-time and chat.

It is Jussi. He mentioned after the first DGWT that were live with cameras and things that as they didn't get 4-5000 viewers they would do it this way which is kinda me. Sure SpinTV after production is quite alright but for something that is as big as USDGC it is kinda meh that they only do Facebook live which at best you can actually see when they putt but driving and ranges on drives are kinda redundant.

Domain Name: usdgcdots.com
Registry Domain ID: 1571549121_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.moniker.com
Registrar URL: http://www.moniker.com
Updated Date: 2015-12-22T16:22:26.0Z
Creation Date: 2009-10-07T19:26:17.0Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2017-10-07T19:26:17.0Z
Registrar: Moniker Online Services LLC
Registrar IANA ID: 228
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: [email protected]
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.9546071294
Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Registry Registrant ID: Not Available From Registry
Registrant Name: Steve Hackenberg
Registrant Organization:
Registrant Street: 2850 Commerce Drive
Registrant City: Rock Hill
Registrant State/Province: SC
Registrant Postal Code: 29730
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1.8033665028
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax:
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: [email protected]
Registry Admin ID: Not Available From Registry
Admin Name: Steve Hackenberg
Admin Organization:
Admin Street: 2850 Commerce Drive
Admin City: Rock Hill
Admin State/Province: SC
Admin Postal Code: 29730
Admin Country: US
Admin Phone: +1.8033665028
Admin Phone Ext:
Admin Fax:
Admin Fax Ext:
Admin Email: [email protected]

It is Jussi. He mentioned after the first DGWT that were live with cameras and things that as they didn't get 4-5000 viewers they would do it this way which is kinda me. Sure SpinTV after production is quite alright but for something that is as big as USDGC it is kinda meh that they only do Facebook live which at best you can actually see when they putt but driving and ranges on drives are kinda redundant.

Seems short-sighted to use the low viewer counts of an event that had zero cache with the potential audience to justify doing away with live coverage of one of the biggest events in the world. An event that has had live coverage longer than any other (a pioneer beyond just live video too), and certainly one that has been in the 4-5000 viewer range at times.

I understand the disappointment of the La Mirada viewership. I get not bothering with live coverage for the European events that would air at less than peak hours in the US. I don't understand scrapping live coverage of the USDGC.

It's weird ... I'm pretty sure I watched the USDGC live last year and there was about 3.5k viewers. Perhaps they shouldn't award these big tournaments to the DGWT when they can't even keep the status quo in regards to live streaming

It's weird ... I'm pretty sure I watched the USDGC live last year and there was about 3.5k viewers. Perhaps they shouldn't award these big tournaments to the DGWT when they can't even keep the status quo in regards to live streaming

If this is correct, agreed. Give it to Smash.

It's lame.
Pretty much my first gut reaction too.

I sort of forgot that DGWT was in charge and last year was likely the final year of the contract that Crazy John's outfit (DiscGolfPlanet?) had with Innova/USDGC.

I guess its a loss for the 'black spot.' :(

SmashboxxTV did have the live coverage last year, under the SpinTV logo. Two seconds of youtube searching confirms...

Spotty cell reception on the course led to spotty coverage with lots of skipping, freezing, and re-loading.

Let's not get all wistful and nostalgic for subpar coverage.

You guys pay better attention than this stuff than I do---a lot better attention---but wasn't the premise behind the DGWT to demonstrate disc golf as a broadcast spectator sport?

You guys pay better attention than this stuff than I do---a lot better attention---but wasn't the premise behind the DGWT to demonstrate disc golf as a broadcast spectator sport?
Perhaps some live coverage for Finland would be worthwhile with English closed captioning.

Any chance someone else can step up and bring live coverage?

Live coverage requires permission from the tournament. If Jussi is saying no live video coverage (other than Facebook), then there's no live coverage by anyone. I'm sure Smashboxx would be more than happy to cover the tournament, but they're not going to barge in uninvited, and possibly unwelcome.

I had the impression they hoped to build on and expand the Finnish TV success, starting with online broadcasts.

Otherwise....in what way is it a "tour"? 6 events scattered across months and thousands of miles?

As I said, I don't pay close attention, so perhaps am way off base.

I had the impression they hoped to build on and expand the Finnish TV success, starting with online broadcasts.

Otherwise....in what way is it a "tour"? 6 events scattered across months and thousands of miles?

As I said, I don't pay close attention, so perhaps am way off base.

Based on what I've gathered from observation and comments by players as well, DGWT is less a "tour" and more a brand. Each tournament seems to be rather homogeneous in its execution. The only thing that changes is the venue.

Latest posts