• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

No post since March 2013?

Is no one throwing Vibram anymore? I live/play in NC where tight wooded plastic eating courses are the norm. So I decided to give a couple of Vibram disc a try since they have a reputation of being practically indestructible or at least have a much longer life expectancy than any of the premium plastics used by other disc manufacturers.

Since I admittedly have an old noodle arm I picked up an 166g Unlace distance driver and a 158g Vamp Fairway Driver to replace a beat Champion TeeBird and Avenger SS.

Wow! I am so impressed by the Vibram disc that I am now planning to turn my small Fade bag into a Vibram only bag as I cycle out my current disc.

Is no one throwing Vibram anymore? I live/play in NC where tight wooded plastic eating courses are the norm. So I decided to give a couple of Vibram disc a try since they have a reputation of being practically indestructible or at least have a much longer life expectancy than any of the premium plastics used by other disc manufacturers.

Since I admittedly have an old noodle arm I picked up an 166g Unlace distance driver and a 158g Vamp Fairway Driver to replace a beat Champion TeeBird and Avenger SS.

Wow! I am so impressed by the Vibram disc that I am now planning to turn my small Fade bag into a Vibram only bag as I cycle out my current disc.

Fellow old noodle arm here. I would consider going all-Vibram if they would expand their mid lineup (which I understand they are in the process of doing). I love the durability and the grip!!

Yeah, their line up of mids is a bit scant at the moment for sure. According to the flight charts the Ibex is a pretty close match up to my Buzz and the Obex could more or less replace my King Cobra. I hope they come out with a more understable mid to replace my Panther but maybe with a little more distance for those right turning fairway shots.

Again according to the flight charts the Ridge finishes just a hair straighter than my Challengers and the VP is very close to my Rhynos.

As noted in my first post the Vamp has replaced my Avenger SS. Have to do a little more research on the other fairway drivers.

The unLace is one of those discs that once you can control it, it is a secret weapon. I recall playing leagues in Arvig park in Perham, MN, where there is 300' tunnel shot down a dirt road. The mostly tomahawk/thumber throwers at the Perham league thought I was a professional when I sent the unLace perfectly straight down the fairway, only hitting a tree branch at the end of the road, or else I would have blown by the basket.

I recall another instance at Mayhew Creek park in Sartell, MN on hole #2. 350' downhill shot in a tailwind. Missed the putt for the two, but it turned some heads with my mates, because none of them made it over halfway to the basket in the strong tailwind on that downhill shot...

I've only had an opportunity to throw the Unlace a handful of times so far but I'm really impressed. I'm not sure but I think I have made my longest drive to date with it.

Vibram shoes are popular here. But not the discs. There's a shop here that literally has thousands of discs. Zero Vibram discs?

Vibram Bag

What Vibram discs would be recommend to a beginner who would like to have a all Vibram bag? Would like to keep in the 150 gram weight.

What Vibram discs would be recommend to a beginner who would like to have a all Vibram bag? Would like to keep in the 150 gram weight.

I reckon three discs will prolly work well until you get some experience:

a putter, and I'll recommend a Ridge;
a mid-range, and I'll recommend an Ibex;
and a fairway driver, a Vamp.

The Onyx may prove more beginner-friendly for fairway drivers. I've not thrown one, so can't say. It may be so US as to be difficult to control as a new player.

I reckon three discs will prolly work well until you get some experience:

a putter, and I'll recommend a Ridge;
a mid-range, and I'll recommend an Ibex;
and a fairway driver, a Vamp.

The Onyx may prove more beginner-friendly for fairway drivers. I've not thrown one, so can't say. It may be so US as to be difficult to control as a new player.

The Onyx is a lot like the Diamond from Latitude 64. You really need to power down to get a straight flight out of it.

I wouldn't recommend the Onyx to a new player for the same reason that I wouldn't recommend an unLace, because those discs tend to create a slice, i.e. using too much hyzer-angle to compensate for their immense understability. I'd recommend an Ibex (Buzz-esque) because it will hold any angle on which it is put, or even the Vamp (Leopard-like) for its modest stability and excellent distance potential.

I wouldn't recommend the Onyx to a new player for the same reason that I wouldn't recommend an unLace, because those discs tend to create a slice, i.e. using too much hyzer-angle to compensate for their immense understability. I'd recommend an Ibex (Buzz-esque) because it will hold any angle on which it is put, or even the Vamp (Leopard-like) for its modest stability and excellent distance potential.

Check your messages, TYR.

a light Arch if you need something more os for a beginner.

otherwise a summit would work in place of a ridge.

side note. I am becoming a fan of the notch.

Necro bump

Pasted from MST newsletter. Funny/sad

Vibram Disc Golf may be dying.

If I wanted to destroy Vibram Disc Golf, I'd have to figure out a way to get rid of Steve Dodge, stop offering multi-colored discs, and slap a cancer label on all flying rubber leaving the factory. Well, Steve Dodge has left Vibram to run the Disc Golf Pro Tour, Vibram is moving toward making single-color discs, and evidently some government agency has forced the company to put a sticker on every single disc that says:

"Warning: This product may contain chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm."

Can someone tell me again why we can't label GMO food?

^ ^ ^
I am so much going to write an actual put in mailbox letter to vibram. No multi color? Treasonous is what that is. Maybe a petion here too.

Necro bump

Pasted from MST newsletter. Funny/sad

Vibram Disc Golf may be dying.

If I wanted to destroy Vibram Disc Golf, I'd have to figure out a way to get rid of Steve Dodge, stop offering multi-colored discs, and slap a cancer label on all flying rubber leaving the factory. Well, Steve Dodge has left Vibram to run the Disc Golf Pro Tour, Vibram is moving toward making single-color discs, and evidently some government agency has forced the company to put a sticker on every single disc that says:

"Warning: This product may contain chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm."

Can someone tell me again why we can't label GMO food?

Came to post this. If there was one thing that I thought was special and attractive about Vibram discs, it was their awesome color patterns. Now they're all drab. And cancer (but only to Californians) causing rubber? That's a recipe for a major loss in sales.