• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Went to forehand- WOW

Had to switch to the FH after the BH starting tearing up my knees.
My distance is just a little bit further than my BH drives (we're working on that:))but my accuracy seems to be a whole lot better.
I like the "skip a rock" idea,sounds about right.

are you a newer player?

i started out throwing FH because i got 250 feet with no skill or practice. after practicing my BH i can throw it much farther and with much more control. i now only use fh shots for going right around an obstacle

I did the same thing. I have to say that I still think a FH will get more speed and distance because of the physics of the hand movement. I've just started playing since May, and I started out with a FH that was so impressive over my BH. But, now that I've learned how to throw a decent BH and play with that almost all the time, my forehand is awful. No control and I can't throw flat.

I guess I just need more practice.

I can't speak for everyone, but I get more spin from my forehand than from my backhand because my wrist is much more active with a forehanded motion. I suppose that's why Ultimate players call it the "flick." I still don't throw it as far forehanded, though, since I can generate greater launch speed with my backhand. This may sound strange, but discs that are long and stable for my backhanded throw are shorter but unpredictably understable for my forehanded throw. I guess that just means my forehand needs more practice. :)

Still not getting much more distance on my fh than my bh .
I am kinda getting the feeling that you have to have really really strong arms to get any real distance (300 ft,a feat I am beginning to believe I will never see).I think this idea of a certain snap of the wrist or a certain twist of the body to get the distance only happens if you have very strong arm strength to begin with.
Beginning to think that 230' is about all I will get. I quit watching the people who can throw it 300 plus feet cause it made me sick:(

It's not really about strength. You don't have to be muscular to throw it 300 feet. After all, the disc only weighs a few ounces. It's really about speed, which comes from coordination more than from strength. You want your arm to be like a whip: the increasing acceleration continues through the release. The faster your arm is moving at the moment of release, the faster the disc will be moving. It's explosive, but not really all that muscular.

Had to switch to the FH after the BH starting tearing up my knees.
My distance is just a little bit further than my BH drives (we're working on that:))but my accuracy seems to be a whole lot better.
I like the "skip a rock" idea,sounds about right.

Great, so now you're gonna start working on destroying that elbow? But seriously, try pointing straight at your line in your follow through.

I've been playing for 4 years and about 95% FH off the tee, other 5% is primarily thumbers with an occasional BH on holes under 175ft. I can reach 350 ft easily with my forehand and 275+ with thumbers but only about 175 (consistently) with my backhand. I played some softball and the forehand/overhand throws seem natural and after 4 years I haven't had any pain issues. Just need to practice the BH because I know the problem is lack of form(footwork, grip, release), I just never get any practice time. Wish I'd picked up the game before turning 40! There are various FH grips and I've use two of them, I used to stack index & pointer finger in the rim but now throw with just one finger (pointer) laying in the rim of the disc. Accuracy & distance both improved when I went to this. I know others who throw with various two-finger grips that get good distance, so there is no right or wrong just figuring out what works for you. If I could only putt from 25'-30' !!!

I have found that I get alot more distance when I throw the disc fh if I just wedge the disc between my thumb and forefinger and not put my forefinger inside the rim but leave it curled up so that the disc rest on it and my thumb rest on top. I have got about 20 more feet this way.
I am thinking that I could get even more distance if I did put my forefinger in the inner rim but the problem with that is that I end up have my finger "grap" the rim when I try to throw. Any sugestions on how to change that?

When I first started thowing forehand I had just one finger on the inside rim, but I noticed the rim was getting hung up a bit on the side of my index finger like youre describing. I was actually getting a bit of a blood blister from it. So then I switched to the 2 finger grip and it changed. I guess because one finger controls the inside rim and the other finger is meant to guide the flight plate just over the finger.

I now love the xcaliber

After trying a RHFH with it, I now have a favorite driver. That sucker flew and didn't stop. I would max 300 ft with some of the lesser discs on a rhbh. But with a rhfh excaliber throw, I was able to nearl ace a 350 foot hole.
:eek:

After trying a RHFH with it, I now have a favorite driver. That sucker flew and didn't stop. I would max 300 ft with some of the lesser discs on a rhbh. But with a rhfh excaliber throw, I was able to nearl ace a 350 foot hole.
Sweet. Looking forward to the competition! :D

ERic

This weekend was the first time I actually used forehand in play ... it worked very well. I dont think I'll use it all the time, but its always helpful to have a few different throws in your bag.

Just remember to stretch a lot before you throw forehand, if not it will eventually catch up with you and you are going to be feeling some pain. Take out a good five minutes and do any arm/hand stretches you can, should be some good information about this online.

Just remember to stretch a lot before you throw forehand, if not it will eventually catch up with you and you are going to be feeling some pain. Take out a good five minutes and do any arm/hand stretches you can, should be some good information about this online.

Always a good idea before doing any athletic activity, but especially true when preparing to do some forehand drives.