• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wet Shoes

Thanks for the tip. Sno Seal sounds familiar so I may have tried it when my go to went out of business. As it is now, my replacement go to is a just went.

I have a big block of beeswax and was thinking about using it for waterproofing my leather boots. What else do these products have in them or are they just solvents to help the beeswax get deeper into the leather?

I was an avid hiker before i found disc golf. Even thru hiked the Appalachian Trail after i graduated high school. The best thing is lightweight breathable trail runners and a good pair of wool socks. I always play 2 rounds on the weekends and if my feet get wet from dew on the first they are already mostly dry early into my second round. Gore Tex is just a marketing machine. Once they wet out your done, and you can buy 2 pair of good shoes for the cost of one pair of Gore Tex shoes.

I was an avid hiker before i found disc golf. Even thru hiked the Appalachian Trail after i graduated high school. The best thing is lightweight breathable trail runners and a good pair of wool socks. I always play 2 rounds on the weekends and if my feet get wet from dew on the first they are already mostly dry early into my second round. Gore Tex is just a marketing machine. Once they wet out your done, and you can buy 2 pair of good shoes for the cost of one pair of Gore Tex shoes.

Basically what I do. Although I have found that Gortex does a great job as a warmth insulator. If it's sorta cold out, say 30 to 50 degrees and not much snow down, it's nice to be able to still play in trail runners and not have to break out the snow boots. You can get away with regular GTX trail runners in that weather. Regular trail runners that are breathable have zero insulation and my feet/toes start getting too cold.

TLDR: What kind of shoes do you wear that keep your feet dry in wet, dew grass?

Every morning in the Midwest the grass is heavy with dew. Feet get soaked so fast it's no fun to play until noon. Even then, shady grass is still wet.

Back when I used to ball golf, the shoes were waterproof so that I never remember this problem.

I dowsed my normal hiking boots with the silicone waterproof spray which seems to give me 20 extra minutes before my feet are soaked.

If really muddy and do not want high tops get the running gaiters for the low cut trail hiking shoe or trail running shoe. Some trail running models like the Cascadia as of the 14 model on up have a velcro spot for the gaiter to attach already and do not need to glue on some of that stuff to attach the heel part.

Last edited:
I have a big block of beeswax and was thinking about using it for waterproofing my leather boots. What else do these products have in them or are they just solvents to help the beeswax get deeper into the leather?

Since the `70s I've always looked for something with mink oil.

If you're thinking of thinning your beeswax, I'll extend a word of caution that some solvents will cause leather to dry and crack.

Could you link an example of some of both. People say good shoes or good socks but I'm never quite sure what I'm looking for to know if they're 'good'. I know I could just spend big bucks but I doubt that necessarily translates to good.

Since the `70s I've always looked for something with mink oil.

If you're thinking of thinning your beeswax, I'll extend a word of caution that some solvents will cause leather to dry and crack.

I would only thin it if there's a reason to. The beeswax is basically going spare and I'm searching for things to use it for. If using it raw is as good as anything else I'll be doing that.

Could you link an example of some of both. People say good shoes or good socks but I'm never quite sure what I'm looking for to know if they're 'good'. I know I could just spend big bucks but I doubt that necessarily translates to good.

I like the Adidas Terrex brand. You can usually find them online for around 60 bucks or less (no GTX) if you dig around a few sites. GTX ones will run you a little more. You want trail runners specifically in general, as regular running shoes don't have the aggressive tread that certainly helps for disc golf. Lots of people seem to like New Balance as well. Shoes are something you kind of want to try on at the store and get an idea of what brand/size/fit you like, then you can simply order same ones online from then on out.

For socks I do spend an extra few dollars and get them at REI, but I'm sure any outdoor fitter or even Walmart would do. Shop around online and check out the reviews.

Here is the boots i tried so far:

Salomon trekking boots
Merell
Keen
Adidas Teerex
all sort of Goratex layered boots

All of them either wore out too quickly or did not keep my feet dry.

HEre is the two things that work:
1: Neporen socks
2: Leather boots with a Goratex layer.

The only ones i found so far that work and hold for several years are Lowa:

lowa-renegade-ll-mid-wanderschuhe.jpg

This is part of what is so confusing, those are what I would call hiking boots. Trail running shoes are quite different. I own some Sealskinz but I can't see a good reason to wear them alongside some Goretex shoes, they're incredible at keeping the water out but are really sweaty after a long time on. I could imagine breathable shoes with Sealskinz or Goretex shoes with some 'good quality' hiking socks but combining sounds like it would start out very comfy but quickly become too sweaty.

Anyway since my previous message I picked up some Adidas Terrex AX3 Goretex shoes (I'd call them hiking shoes) since they had a discount on the website. I have a two pairs one size apart so I can wear thicker or thinner socks depending on the weather.

I do find them very grippy and can't imagine my heel allowing rotation on a drive so I'm a little worried about my right knee ligaments. Form issue, wearing-in issue or conditioning issue?

This is part of what is so confusing, those are what I would call hiking boots. Trail running shoes are quite different. I own some Sealskinz but I can't see a good reason to wear them alongside some Goretex shoes, they're incredible at keeping the water out but are really sweaty after a long time on. I could imagine breathable shoes with Sealskinz or Goretex shoes with some 'good quality' hiking socks but combining sounds like it would start out very comfy but quickly become too sweaty.

Anyway since my previous message I picked up some Adidas Terrex AX3 Goretex shoes (I'd call them hiking shoes) since they had a discount on the website. I have a two pairs one size apart so I can wear thicker or thinner socks depending on the weather.

I do find them very grippy and can't imagine my heel allowing rotation on a drive so I'm a little worried about my right knee ligaments. Form issue, wearing-in issue or conditioning issue?

Having Addidas Gortex shoes means you no longer need waterproof socks.

For those wanting just waterproof socks, I prefer Rocky Brand Gortex socks. These are fitted socks for your specific foot size and they come in low rise or high rise versions. They can last a few seasons. You can put a pair of wool socks over these in the winter when wearing snow boots for extra warmth.

I do not like the neoprene versions of socks like seal skins, etc for disc golf. They make my feet way too sweaty.

I'm just going to pipe in because I have something to offer when it comes to treating leather boots. I am kind of footwear afficianado. If you want to know what people with expensive shoes treat their leather with, try Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP. This stuff is a beeswax base with other oils and conditioners that nourish the leather. If you care about how your boots look, this stuff WILL darken the leather significantly, but it works well.

For a lighter conditioner that still does a great job, try Venetian Shoe Cream, or Bick's. Both are excellent choices for keeping leather supple while providing moderate amounts of waterproofing.

I would advise against using regular Mink oil. It is cheap, but it has all the downsides of Obenauf's with few of the upsides. It is a natural product that actually breaks down and decays over time. Some people have reported that Mink oil actually makes the stitching in their shoes begin to corrode.

Disc golfers may never have shoes for long enough for these things to matter. In the world of pricey shoes, there are still pairs being worn every single day that are more than 40 years old, so these products DO work if you really want your leather in the best possible shape.

In practical real world disc golfing, I just use Goretex as it works great and doesn't need any additional care.

I found a cheap pair of waterproof Columbia shoes on clearance. I think I paid around $35 for them. They have held up great and my feet stay dry. If I am playing multiple rounds, a few extra pairs of socks goes a long way.

I just roll with soggy feet. Doesn't bother me after a few minutes.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I used to play barefoot at 7:30 am in the dewy grass at Ann Morrison. No wet shoes, felt awesome, and got a foot bath to.....boot.

Latest posts