• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What are the secret shots in your bag?

Lol @ Skunk, I am pretty sure I have seen you throw that shot on hole 8 at Oakbrook to get out of the trees left of the basket.

Putting with disc upside down into a headwind. Using the Grenade shot to escape in the woods because it stays vertical. Using a Squall to RHBH roll with a left side crosswind because it still keeps the line and doesn't flip right until late. Play from my knee more than most to get better stability and head room even if not totally needed.

I love throwing spike hyzers. I can range them very accurately out to about 250. Sometimes I throw short spike shots instead of the typical putter upshots to get near a basket. Similar to your grenade description, I usually put a lot of wrist roll under on the shot and get the disc completely vertical and it just plops down near the basket.

Turbo putts to get out from behind trees.

I wouldn't call the turbo a "secret", but it I rarely see anyone else around here use it.

Turbo putts to get out from behind trees.

I wouldn't call the turbo a "secret", but it I rarely see anyone else around here use it.

Would you like a turbo putter? I have one. I'll give ya a good deal seeing as how we could get around shipping.

I love grenade shots. I use a beat up Soft APX, or my FLX-y 2011 ace race disc nowadays. It's a little rough if theres a lot of wind swirling sideways, because it's like a kite in the wind. But it's useful into or with the wind. Good, useful shot.

I've only tried this shot a few times, and would never do it competitively, but a pro at my local course taught me this one.

We have one hole that's a tight, low-ceiling gap from the tee, then turns 90 degrees left after ~75 feet. The obvious thing to do is throw a drone/hornet/buzz/zone to hook around the corner for your 2nd shot. However, this pro showed me his technique on this hole. He holds the disc just like a grenade, but throws it with anny into the ground ~40 feet in front of him. The disc will come out of the anny quickly and start to hyzer just as it hits the ground. This results in a mega-sweet-looking skip that jumps 10 feet into the air and travels 40 feet left (RHBH).

If he hits his line as planned, he'll always be sitting better than everybody who threw a simply hyzer shot.

Forehand anhyzer upshots with a putter are my specialty.
My buddy does that a lot. Every now and then I have to bust one out but I'll be so rusty it usually ends up pretty bad, lol.

I'm FH a putter a lot for approaches now, don't see that everyday. Other little tricky shots I'll do occasionally is a low thumber that will skip hard right and a FH anny around a corner with my 150 Champ Leo or something really flippy.

Would you like a turbo putter? I have one. I'll give ya a good deal seeing as how we could get around shipping.

No thanks. I have 1 and that's more than enough for a disc that is not PDGA approved.

I typically use a Pro Pig for my turbo putting duties.

No thanks. I have 1 and that's more than enough for a disc that is not PDGA approved.

I typically use a Pro Pig for my turbo putting duties.

So why dose mine say it is PDGA approved in the tooling?

PDGA Approval expired Dec 31, 2008 per agreement with Quest.

Yeah, after Quest made that disc and it got approved some guys raised a big fuss going like "whoa whoa whoa, this thing isn't round! this isn't even a disc! we should change the rules to say all discs must be perfectly round!" And they did. So the disc was first approved, then they changed the rules and made it so the disc isn't legal after all.

My buddy does that a lot. Every now and then I have to bust one out but I'll be so rusty it usually ends up pretty bad, lol.

I'm FH a putter a lot for approaches now, don't see that everyday. Other little tricky shots I'll do occasionally is a low thumber that will skip hard right and a FH anny around a corner with my 150 Champ Leo or something really flippy.

Been workin on your "ninja chop" too BroD? lol

Someone already threw it up here, but I will say it again: Thumber.

I rarely see anyone use it as a serious drive. Most people I see who do throw it use it only as an escape shot. I use it as my normal drive at Bryant Lake #4, #6, and #16. Some other holes include Blue Ribbon Pines #3, Bassett Creek #1. Similarily I tomahawk a putter at BRP #8.

Once you dial in a decent thumber, there are a ton of holes where while you are giving up a legitimate shot at an ace, you can always park the hole instead of shooting for a narrow, lowerer gap.

FH skip

Any time I'm within 50' or so, and usually with an obstruction facing me, I like to throw an upside down FH skip. Never really see this shot used alot, and it's save me from having to lay up and 2 putt. I use the normal FH grip, however i throw it from across my body with the top of the disc facing down. Im a RHBH thrower so I would be releasing it from my left shoulder. The disc flyies upside down to the basket then slides up to it. (kinda hard to describe it correctly)

Any time I'm within 50' or so, and usually with an obstruction facing me, I like to throw an upside down FH skip. Never really see this shot used alot, and it's save me from having to lay up and 2 putt. I use the normal FH grip, however i throw it from across my body with the top of the disc facing down. Im a RHBH thrower so I would be releasing it from my left shoulder. The disc flyies upside down to the basket then slides up to it. (kinda hard to describe it correctly)

Sounds to me like you're describing a scoober. Except you're just throwing it into the ground and letting it skip ;)

You are sick with those spike hyzers Roman. There is much less room to use them in NC than IL but I should definitely be practicing my spikes.

Latest posts