• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What course won't you play alone?

Schenley park in Pittsburgh.

There are lots of guys cruising for encounters. Straight up gives me the willies. I don't mind gay people, and I don't mind if they go to public places to meet, but damn don't come right up to me and ask if I want a blowjob while you are still covered in spooge from the last guy. The disc golf course isn't even by the proper cruising spot so only the braindead/rolling ones wander over there.

I also got attacked by LARPers once. Not so much dangerous, its like a declawed cat pawing at your face.

At any rate I always hated playing schenley and I will never have to again, yay!

WTMF!!!

I have not come across a course that I would fear playing alone. Maybe it's the Marine in me but I'm not worried about it.

My cousin and were at rosedale in k.c. and had his jeep broken into in a parking lot full of cars in the middle of day! Blue valley and cliff drive are in less than ideal areas of k.c.... I'd still play rosedale alone though.

My cousin and were at rosedale in k.c. and had his jeep broken into in a parking lot full of cars in the middle of day! Blue valley and cliff drive are in less than ideal areas of k.c.... I'd still play rosedale alone though.

If it was a wrangler, that doesn't count. They get broken into EVERYWHERE (i had one for a few years. Gave up locking it, tired of replacing windows, haha.

So many He-Men. I have played all of my listed courses alone, except for gillies. Most of these were worrisome but never enough to leave, but enough for me not to return alone at dusk. I was kind of thinking which course would you warn travellers to avoid for safety.

If it was a wrangler, that doesn't count. They get broken into EVERYWHERE (i had one for a few years. Gave up locking it, tired of replacing windows, haha.

Any vehicle that can be broken into with a warm soldering iron I'll avoid buying, thanks.

It was a cherokee. I hade my camera stolen that i meant to take for the round and chitload of cd's! Probably 8 years ago

FWIW I was at Rum Village December 9th last year on hole #4 when a transvestite was shot and killed in the neighborhood across the street. I actually waved at the cops and wondered what was going on. Maybe I'm a fatalist, but I pay taxes that support that park, so I'm going to throw there regardless.

I wonder how pissy he would have got if I added shumaker pond due to the risk of hurting children with your discs :popcorn:

not pissy at all. there is a difference between perceived and actual risk. while you are absolutely right that there is the possibility of getting hit there, it doesn't happen any more there than any other course. i lived there for a year and a half and played basically every day. you played it what, once? but of course you must be right, prerube knows more than everyone. that's why he is an internet superhero!

Any vehicle that can be broken into with a warm soldering iron I'll avoid buying, thanks.

Warm soldering iron? I mean, come on, all you need to do is unzip the back side window....no tools required at all. :hfive:

Well I've played Gillies Creek 80+ times without a problem or reason to fear, just for the record. Also for the record, reading about a fellow DGer being robbed out there does give me pause; that's happened twice. I've had reviews give me reason to be on guard going into a new course - Water Tower in Sarasota, Barnett Park in Orlando, and Druid Hill in Baltimore all come to mind. Hoping to play 22nd St. in Tampa soon and the reviews are giving me a bit of pause there. But in every case I've left the course wishing I hadn't wasted any effort on worrying - some neighborhoods are nicer than others, sure, and some courses are cleaner than others, but when it comes down to it, driving to any of these courses is statistically way more dangerous than playing them.

Interestingly, the main reason to stay away from Gillies these days is it is just too crowded on nice days, and Dorey, Goyne, White Bank are never crowded.

Schenley park in Pittsburgh.

There are lots of guys cruising for encounters. Straight up gives me the willies. I don't mind gay people, and I don't mind if they go to public places to meet, but damn don't come right up to me and ask if I want a blowjob while you are still covered in spooge from the last guy. The disc golf course isn't even by the proper cruising spot so only the braindead/rolling ones wander over there.

I also got attacked by LARPers once. Not so much dangerous, its like a declawed cat pawing at your face.

At any rate I always hated playing schenley and I will never have to again, yay!

Lawl. It is kind of awkward to have the guys just sitting in their cars watching, but I have never been approached. They are harmless and there are tons of people around. Sundays are LARPing days, so you definitely have to watch out for them. If they get your throwing arm with their foam swords, you will have to play the rest of the round with your arm behind your back.

I stay away from Paw Paw for fear of seeing Mark Susi and Tony Ellis naked.

Schenley....really? hmm, never seen anything to be afraid of there in 18+ years.

I was gonna say Paw Paw. I have played there alone once and was paranoid of getting bit by a snake or meeting a bear or mountain lion. It is is the middle of nowhere and if anything happened, I would be toast.

What is the most dangerous course in the nation?

What are the the most unsafe courses you have encountered. This can be due to the terrain or numerous safety risks to other people if you would like, but I am thinking more about neighborhood. Are there any courses that you would not play alone?

Here is my list to get started:

5. Lake Montebello, Baltimore, MD.
I was worried about leaving my car unattended, That area of Baltimore is pretty dangerous.

4. Hollyland Park in Holly Hills, FL
This course was in a pretty rough neighborhood. I would not play there alone at dusk too frequently

3. Palmer Park in Shelby, NC.
Course is in a projects area, but the course itself leads to potential problems between disc golfers and locals. My wife wanted to go for a walk while I played and lets just say I made sure she was in my sight at all times.

2. Francis Scott Key Elementary, District Heights, MD.
My home course, District Heights is nearly DC. My wife and daughter were almost mugged just a mile from that course. I showed up just in time. You can see your car the entire time and the course takes minutes to play, but this is not a course to meet someone and then take their car to another course.

1. Gillies Creek in Richmond, Virginia.
So far this is the only course I will not return to. I was almost hit by a car while standing on the tee pad. I found drugs and a pipe on the course, Chris Hysell was robbed there. You can't pay me to play there.

..a little off topic, but I was in Richmond last year and played almost all of the courses down there. I was terribly disappointed in Gillies and the U of Richmond courses.

..Gillies was ace run after ace run, very boring

..U of Richmond started out great (holes 1-3) and then turned into a massive cluster F.

If I'm ever in Richmond again (hopefully not) I won't even bring my discs. The courses are way too easy and they're not well maintained to say the least.

..a little off topic, but I was in Richmond last year and played almost all of the courses down there. I was terribly disappointed in Gillies and the U of Richmond courses.

..Gillies was ace run after ace run, very boring

..U of Richmond started out great (holes 1-3) and then turned into a massive cluster F.

If I'm ever in Richmond again (hopefully not) I won't even bring my discs. The courses are way too easy and they're not well maintained to say the least.

There are a lot of richmond, specifically Gillies defenders here that will debate you on this.

..easy, boring, not well thought out and outdated.

..I shot -14 (par three) at Gillies.