• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] What putters do you keep in your bag and why?

I keep about 4 wizards, two for putting (SSS or RF) two for approaching (S or $), a Zone, and an Envy. Once I start beating in some of these Wizards I'll probably take the Envy out.

I'm really quite surprised that there aren't more Wizard throwers that use a magic for their understable putter slot (if they have a spot for that)

I'm really quite surprised that there aren't more Wizard throwers that use a magic for their understable putter slot (if they have a spot for that)

For that role, if I am close enough and need left to right action I just flex either a Wizard or my Roach. Or if I am far enough out I'll anny on a short approach one of my mids or zones depending on the line needed. Or, I'll just flick something in there and which disc I use is dependent on how drastic a left to right I need.

Organic Wizard, Organic Voodoo. SSS Voodoo, and S Wizard. I normally put with the organic wizard and keep the rest for putting practice before and after playing courses.

KC Pro Aviar- Straight with fade drive and approach
Yeti Pro Aviar (very beat)- Straight to turnover drives. Most short drives in the woods or tight windows
DX Aviar P&A (very beat)- Long/jump putts, short approaches of all kinds, short drives that need to turn quickly
SS Warlock- putting putter(s)

Swan (I have no clue which version) - short straight approaches, understable duties
Macana - main putter, also for approach
Shield - throwing putter for longer shots or windier conditions
Harp - special duties

Usually in soft or medium plastic.

The Swan might be replaced if any of the other putters are broken in enough to use at that spot.

I'm just so used to the feel of throwing wizards, and I have such a big stash of old beat ones. It doesn't make sense for me to throw something that feels different if I've got a beat wizard that does the same thing. Also most of my beat wizards have been around so long that I know them better than any new disc. Familiarity wins.

Because it really doesn't take that long to break a wizard in to a turnover disc. Even a fresh wizard can hold a beautiful anny if you hit your angles correctly. The only thing that takes a while is to get it into a true understable slot, where it actually flips to turnover from hyzer. I have bagged a flippier putter in a tourney round for that purpose before, there was one specific tee shot that I just didn't have a flippy enough wizard for. But a couple months later I was set.

Because it really doesn't take that long to break a wizard in to a turnover disc. Even a fresh wizard can hold a beautiful anny if you hit your angles correctly. The only thing that takes a while is to get it into a true understable slot, where it actually flips to turnover from hyzer. I have bagged a flippier putter in a tourney round for that purpose before, there was one specific tee shot that I just didn't have a flippy enough wizard for. But a couple months later I was set.

I totally get it. It was just a little surprising to me is all. I cycle judges the same way (or at least they would cycle if I played a lot more often)

I carry two ions. One old one for driving. its dead straight and can be thrown with hyzer or anny to get it to do what i want. other for putting. I carry an old eraser wizard if I lose some confidence and want to try something different. lastly I have a prodiscus jokeri in ultrium for overstable approaches

I'm carrying 5..
KC Aviar for putting
JK Aviar for putts that need to avoid roll aways..and cooler temps
Champ Rhyno for OS upshots and wind
Soft Tank for drives and upshots that need to avoid roll-aways
Champ XD for drives and upshots.

2 Yeti Pro Aviars for putting
Soft N Ion for straight/OS shots
Opto pure for straight/flippy shots
Glow Z Zone for super OS/utility shots
Fossil Scale kind of just trying out for now, use it for mild headwinds or glideless shots where I don't wanna overshoot the basket. Fits somewhere between my Ion and Zone in stability.

I'm just so used to the feel of throwing wizards, and I have such a big stash of old beat ones. It doesn't make sense for me to throw something that feels different if I've got a beat wizard that does the same thing. Also most of my beat wizards have been around so long that I know them better than any new disc. Familiarity wins.

I'm in this boat too. Magics are really nice but I have some really beat Wizards that take care of the flippier shots, some of them have no bead left.

I have Wizards for throwing and putting, various amounts but always at least two, it's easily the disc I throw the most. I often carry one ESP Zone as well if you consider that as a putter.

Love my current putter setup...
1. Neutron Proxy - dead straight approaches, anny approaches, mild hyzer approaches
2. Soft Envy - straight to fade approaches, big hyzer approaches
3. Soft Swan 1 Reborn - Circle putts - great grip and extremely low fade even at slow speeds

3 P2's and a Champ Aviar. Champ Aviar does all approach and short short drives, P2s are the putters in various wears for putting and approach.

2 McPro Aviars for putting, and a Ti Zone for upshots/drives/awesomeness. Every once in a while, I throw in my D Challenger, which is beginning to resemble a dog's chew toy but is also great for controlled upshots that need to sit.

champ rhyno that i use when i want it under the basket from 220' and in.
171g blue yeti aviar for longer putts and when i'm not feeling the red yeti
175g red 3x yeti aviar for everything.

My really beat up S Wizard steals away most Magic type shots I might be faced with on the course. It's pretty similar to a fresh Magic, only I'm more familiar with it. Situations where losing my beat Wizard is a real possibility, like if the basket is next to a lake, that's when the Magic is most likely to see some action. :thmbup:

I carry 2 bangers. One gt which I have had for years and is by far my go to putter. I also have a soft banger, then #3 is an Avair

Latest posts