• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's the worst part of your game?

What part of your game needs the most improvement?

• Driving

Votes: 116 35.4%
  • Midrange shots

Votes: 28 8.5%
  • Approach shots

Votes: 36 11.0%
  • Putting

Votes: 148 45.1%

• Total voters
Wow, this thread is a blast from the past (in a good way). So many awesome bygone posters (Apothecary, Terry C, trashthrasher, Bazillion (RIP), etc, the conversation re: yarnies which introduced that term to me...good times!)

:)

Putting. I haven't practiced in a long time. Like, a couple of years. When this was first posted I was pretty good at putting, and practiced all the time :) Most of the other parts of the game I can manage pretty well as long as I play within my means.

I think I said driving for distamce earlier in the thread... I'm a noodle arm for sure, but it might really be dealing with wet. muddy, nasty conditions. I seem to let it get to me more that other competitive players do.

I'll vote putting but its my brain all around.

I'd say getting off the tee box is my biggest challenge. We have plenty of wooded courses locally and most of my strokes over par are from errant drives. I also selected driving because my backhand doesn't match my forehand. I'd like to have both be consistent and accurate for 350'.

My entire game has been in the dumps for 2yrs. Used to be a decent putter, began losing the touch in 2011. Haven't drove that well for a couple years, combination of injuries and poor form. Was never a longish thrower , but I used to be able to throw 300 to 340 with decent aim. These days, I'm struggling to hit 275 ft. Becoming an old decrepit curmudgeon is not helping much either. Wah----wah.

I voted for approach shots, more specifically my biggest issue is at roughly 75-100' out. I love discing down to putters and mid-ranges on longer shots but in that weird zone in between a normal approach and a jump putt. I either lay up with a super long jump put or throw a bad backhand because I am trying to power down too much.

Also not in the poll but living in Austin where we get almost no rain durring the summer I have very little experience playing in wet/muddy conditions so when I do it really throws me off.

For all the people that voted putting: buy a practice basket. Or make one. Practicing on it for like 20 minutes each weekend can help your confidence a ton. I use 12 DX aviars when I practice. Put the basket in the middle of the yard and throw out the discs in a circle around it about 30 feet from the basket. I don't stack them all in one spot and throw from that one spot because that doesn't help when it comes to the real course. Having each disc in a different spot helps you be able to walk up to the lie, get your stance and make the putt from different angles. Realistic practice works people.

^^ Voted putting even though I have a practice basket in my garage. I live in a condo that doesn't have a place to take my basket out and HOA frowns on "Frisbees" being thrown around.

Definitely a mental thing for me. I'd probably be the next World champ if I had my own backyard. :)

Putting.

I'm not consistent. I go to the practice basket and I progressively get worse throughout the session...thinking too much.

I voted Driving/Distance in 2009, and it's still my biggest opportunity.
Finally decided to get serious in late 2014 and have been (field) working through a plethora of ingrained motions and bad habits that have robbed me of distance for years.
I'm beginning to understand what a good distance throw looks like and working my way into a semblance of good form. I am convinced that it is not a short-term goal, but will take significant effort over a period of months, if not a year or more.

I voted approach. I'm always early releasing/griplocking 120' BH approach shots. I can consistently put it closer when I'm 180-250 with a FH shot. There's something about my timing with half power BH shots ...

Definitely consistency. But long putts are probably the worst part of my game.
Yep. Consistency for sure. I will hit an amazing drive, and then choke on the upshot. Or hit a terrible drive, put myself in position for par with a great up and then blow the putt. It's really frustrating, because the rare days where everything is working I enjoy this game like no other.

I picked driving due to distance. I am accurate with my drives. They just don't go further than 300ft. The rest of my game I am pretty happy with.

I picked driving as well. Not due to accuracy but distance. The rest of my game I'm pretty happy with, have really improved my short game and putting in the last year.

Latest posts