• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What's your favorite neutral, workable, "do it all" midrange?

I've been beating in a Fission Reactor for a little bit now, and boy is it really nice. The Reactor has to be the most comfortable midrange I've ever thrown. They're straight to fade out of the box, but this one is starting to finish straight, and it's amazing.

I tried a few slightly understable mids that held hyzer angles pretty well, but they really didn't handle any power. Picked up a Mako3 and it's been great so far. A surprising amount of HSS when put on a slight hyzer, and throw flat it drifts right (rhbh) and finishes straight. So far so good.

The neutral mid is a slot that I rotate different molds in and out of my bag frequently. Mako3, Wombat3, Roc3 in Pro, Panther, Comet. Without question my favorite slot to throw. I don't get tired of a mold but I miss throwing them and put them in the bag so I can watch their pretty flights.

With that said the Mako3 gets the most bag time. It is wonderfully shapeable, forgiving, and has good glide. Also the Mako3 is a fantastic forehand disc for step-out turnovers.

Lately the Wombat3 has been getting some air time. One in champion and one in DX. They have more left to right play but I can still make them go straight. I can throw them softer than a Mako3 and get more D which is really fun.

Last edited:
It's the Buzzz SS for me all day! I kinda forgot about it for a little while when I was experimenting with the extremes (super OS and super US) but have come back to my senses and realize the neutral discs are much more controllable for me on most shots. We have an elevated tee, 394' par 3 with a left to right cross wind at my local course and I really like launching one of these backhand high left and watching it turnover slowly as it keeps pushing. I can stretch this shot to about 340-360.

Claymore all day. It would be the last mid to leave the bag if I was only allowed a certain number of discs. Very comfortable and so versatile.

Envy. I would have said Buzzz back in the day, but the Envy goes almost as far and I trust it more. Proton for a little fade at the finish, beat Neutron or new Prism Plasma for a true neutral flight. I still have a Bell's Brewery stamped Buzzz I pull out on ace runs because I really want an ace on that particular disc, but if I really want to score the mids stay in the bag.

Envy. I would have said Buzzz back in the day, but the Envy goes almost as far and I trust it more. Proton for a little fade at the finish, beat Neutron or new Prism Plasma for a true neutral flight. I still have a Bell's Brewery stamped Buzzz I pull out on ace runs because I really want an ace on that particular disc, but if I really want to score the mids stay in the bag.

Destroyer. Goes just as far as my mids.

Z Buzzz for me. Actually, I prefer relatively fresh. I'm currently on vacation with a 3-disc vacation bag that is:
- fresh flat Z Buzzz
- mildly worn domier Z Buzzz
- Undertaker

Many of the other options are better "neutral" mids, but the Buzzz is what I chose because there's no better disc for me to forehand and also throw multiple backhand lines. This has been especially good because I've been playing in some open courses and some decent wind.

Idk if I answered this earlier in the thread, but count me as another vote for the Axiom Hex. That thing is amazing.

Even though I haven't had a ton of time with it (as it's newish to me), the Axiom Hex is already one of my favorite Discs ever. . . .

I'd vote Hex as well. . . .

For me, Hex. . . .

For me, if we're saying true mid, it's the Hex, because workable to me means it can stay on hyzer, or stay on anhyzer. . . .

My"do it all" is a hex. . . .

I'm gonna hafta buck the crowd and say . . . Hex. :D

But to be fair, if I could have figured out how to get a clean FH release on a Roc, I'd still be tossing Roc - Comet. :rolleyes:

Straight to turnover - Wombat3
Straight and flick rolls - Claymore, rolls straight as a string forever for woods escapes, and a tolerable cut roll as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right now, it's the Mako 3
Bought one in champ for one disc night golf, but refused to be seen throwing it during the day.

Too popular of mold, total bro disc, I thought.

My stash of mids dwindling, I took it to Idlewild and it did some work!

m ibex.
got like 5 back when they weren't 40$/each. lost 1 (attempting a dumb overhand in the wind near river, splash!), red white & blue speckled (w/maple hill open stamp) made the wall, green rides in the trunk as a backup.
stable, but not too stable. my tunnel disc, but also any approaches from 80-150ft. my choice for a 1 disc round. i can make it do most anything but go super far.
durable; hasn't changed stability in 5+ yrs.

Just threw a DX VRoc for the first time earlier today.

Walked to the mailbox to go get it, opened it, and jokingly threw it at my trunk of my car which was open and it went dead straight 50 feet and landed perfectly on my disc golf bag hanging off the side of it.

I think it's safe to say that the VRoc flies pretty straight.

One of my favorite workable mids is still the Westside Sling

Recently been trying out the md1 and mako3, I feel like I like the concave bottom wing feel like the buzzz or sling over the rounded nose. Still feeling it out a bit.

I also rotate into the straight slot really beat up exo hard Methods and glow pro Rocx3s. Out of the two I prefer the exo hard beat up vs the glow beat up. They do not land flat like the mako3 and md1, but they do fly straight until the very end. Really beat up = dings and divots and chunks all along the edge. Beat in base plastic on mids just feels right. The grip is next level compared to premium plastics.

Walked to the mailbox to go get it, opened it, and jokingly threw it at my trunk of my car which was open and it went dead straight 50 feet and landed perfectly on my disc golf bag hanging off the side of it.

Love at first throw is a special thing.

As for mids in general, I throw a fast one (Discract Impact) and a slow one (Aurora MS or on rough courses a QMS). Most of my one disc rounds are QMS.

Maybe the VRoc is straight, but your premise does not at all support your conclusion. Almost any disc is straight for the first 50 feet. You could have thrown a Destroyer into your trunk from 50 feet and it would have gone straight. Does that mean your Destroyer should also be in contention for your workable midrange slot?

Maybe the VRoc is straight, but your premise does not at all support your conclusion. Almost any disc is straight for the first 50 feet. You could have thrown a Destroyer into your trunk from 50 feet and it would have gone straight. Does that mean your Destroyer should also be in contention for your workable midrange slot?

Sheesh. Calm down guy. It's a pretty neutral flying disc trust me.

Latest posts