• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's your plastic preference?

Yeah, it's a mixed bag for me ... excepting DX.

In order of usage/preference-

Putters: Star, CryZtal, Champ.
Mids: ESP, KC Pro, Elite Z, Star
Drivers: Star, ESP, Sirius, Elite Z, Champ

Most of my bag is Champ. Two star Cros, Pro Classic Roc and JK Pro.

Drivers - Champ
Fairway - Champ
Mids - Star, Champ and Pro
Putters - Pro

Champ is nice because it doesn't break in so fast.

Discs that glide suck, hate getting easy unnecessary distance, feel like I'm cheating ;)

IMO domey champ discs have just as much glide as pro plastic.

All my discs are champ/opto/icon/star/GL except 1 pro disc I keep for over water drives

I've always been kind of confused as to why people like the Elite Z. I might just be picky, but IMO it's way too glossy ad slick for me. Not as good of grip as the Star or Pro plastics. That being said, I must say Millennium's blend for their base plastic is the most durable plastic I've seen with that grip quality.

So, Millennium plastic. :)

Z and ESP for drivers and midranges. D for putters

Star for drivers because of grip/durability, followed by champ. I throw basically all Innova because that's all I could get my hands on for the most part. Picked up a pro D surge last week and I really like the grip on it, haven't smoked any trees with it yet, just a couple grazes, so durability is still up in the air.

I pretty much stick to champion/z and star/GL. My SSS magics are strictly for inside the circle, damn things get gouged and beat all to hell when they hit a tree.

Like most people here, I carry a mixed bag because I have no delusions of ever getting sponsored for being a great player (although I might have a way of getting sponsored for a different reason).

With that, my plastic preferences are as such:

Putters for putting - R-Pro, Discraft Soft, or Vibram Soft
Putters for approach - R-Pro, Star, or ESP
Mids for approach - Cryztal, Gold Line, or Star
Mids for driving - Vibram medium, Gold Line, MVP medium, or Star
Fairway driving - Gold Line, Star, Vibram Medium, or Z
Maximum distance driving - Champion, VIP, or Opto

I do not buy into that plastics are similar between manufacturers. I strongly believe that Z is softer but grippier than Champion, that Star has better glide and is faster than ESP, that Star and ESP have better wet grip ability than Gold Line, and that Vibram Medium is a million times better than FLX. I hate R-Pro in drivers and mids but love it in putters. I like Echo Star new but do not trust it once it gets dinged up. Cryztal is fantastic for color and slightly softer grip than traditional Z/ Champion plastic. Lastly, Opto and VIP is by far in every category superior to other plastics, especially in color, grip, and durability.

putters i like a soft plastic. AS for everything else Z/opto/and a bit of FLX

both of my local courses have alot of trees so less durable plastics get chewed up pretty fast.

For my drivers I like Echo Star or a nicely worn in champion/nicely worn in star. CHYUH

I've always been kind of confused as to why people like the Elite Z. I might just be picky, but IMO it's way too glossy ad slick for me. Not as good of grip as the Star or Pro plastics. That being said, I must say Millennium's blend for their base plastic is the most durable plastic I've seen with that grip quality.

So, Millennium plastic. :)

I agree with the Z but in the summer when it warms up here the Z gets soft and very grippy. Almost a less flexy FLX. In the winter it's hard and slick so I like gold line and FLX. I'm a big fan of pro d or DX in my putters but I like the more premium stuff for other discs so I get a nice full life out of them. For any utility discs I get whatever will hold that stability the longest. I don't want to replace my drone all the time. In general I hate ESP plastic all around. It's all preference but we all got a good laugh out of this guy saying he sucked cause the dx discs he had were old plastic technology.

I own mostly DX for the price but the courses I play are brutal on the soft plastic. If I really like a disc I may get it in Star or Champion.

I used to throw mostly Star plastic until I had a tourney with rain, couldn't grip anything at all. Now I have mostly Pro type plastic.

In order of most usage:

Drivers--Star, Pro, Elite Z, Champion
Mids--Pro
Putters--R Pro, Gumbputt

The Elite Z XL I use has just enough age and buff that it doesn't feel slick in any season, but it gets very slippery if wet.
I keep a neon pink DX Wraith handy for really densely wooded, hidden shots and over lakes.

Latest posts