• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When is it ok to say FROLF

When is it ok to say FROLF? Choose all that apply.

• Total voters
I played Frisbee golf in the 80's and never even thought of the word or heard of it until found this site. From what I have gathered, Frolf is what Golfers call Disc Golfers as they attempt to muster up a little wit.

Never called it FROLF, never even heard the term till the last year or two. Come on it's Disc Golf and that's all I've ever heard it called. Why use a goofy term like FROLF? This term has to come from ball golfers or people who never played.

Really? Are we that worried about what someone else calls it?

Lets be honest we take discs and throw them around in a park. Its not brain surgery. I don't want my surgeon calling body parts other names but the guy at the shoe store can use what ever term he wants.

We will dye designs on discs and really worry about what we call a sport.

Butch up folks, untie the knot in your panties, wash the sand out and F'ing throw.

Since I recently started playing, I've had lots of friends and family call it frolf. I politely explain that we call it disc golf. If they question why not frolf, I say because that implies that it's played with frisbees, which it's not. I'm calmly doing what I can to change the world. But worry about it? No.:)

Say it whenever you want. I go FROLFing all the time. I play Disc Golf a lot too. they ARE one in the same. Frisbee Golf - FROLF, Disc Golf - DG. What's the problem?

Really? Are we that worried about what someone else calls it?

Lets be honest we take discs and throw them around in a park. Its not brain surgery. I don't want my surgeon calling body parts other names but the guy at the shoe store can use what ever term he wants.

We will dye designs on discs and really worry about what we call a sport.

Butch up folks, untie the knot in your panties, wash the sand out and F'ing throw.

I don't think it's that big of a deal to most of us, although it gets under some peoples skin. Frolf is incorrect anyways, it's Dolf.:p

When they changed from a basket to a net they did not change the name to "netball"
Frisbees started it why not show a little love. And is it frolfing if you are playing Super Class?

When they changed from a basket to a net they did not change the name to "netball"
Frisbees started it why not show a little love. And is it frolfing if you are playing Super Class?

What was changed from a basket to a net? sorry, just woke up and still a little groggy.:)My friends tried for years to get me to put down my frisbee for a disc. My frisbee finally broke and I have sucked ever since, but love Disc Golf. I have much love for the frisbee. It just misrepresents what the game is to potential newbies(fresh addicts). Plus when other park goers think of it as a frisbee, then they are not worried about one of them crushing their skull and taking along with it their pea sized brain. Do you mean basketball when they added the net? I don't know much about the history of the equipment and how it progressed. I just assumed they always had the net, again having no clue.

Last edited:
They used to play basketball with a basket a real basket with a bottom. Now they have a net and a hoop, not a basket. I dont think other park goers really think do they?

They used to play basketball with a basket a real basket with a bottom. Now they have a net and a hoop, not a basket. I dont think other park goers really think do they?

Cool, thanks for the history. You are right, they don't think. The act on instinct like insects.:hfive:

I never heard the term until I got on this site. Disc golf would be more recognizable to most people. The term that would be most helpful to people who don't know about the sport is Frisbee golf.

Apparently Frolf is not the same as Disc Golf.

From Frolf.com:

These are a few disc golf related sites. Disc Golf and Frolf are two entirely different games. Disc Golf has pre-determined course, with chain baskets as targets. Disc Golf more closely resembles Golf than it does Frolf. Disc Golf can be played competitively wherever a defined course has been laid out. Frolf can be played anywhere in the world as the world is your course and is rarely referred to as competitive.

Folf

Back in montana we called it folf (no "r"), though this was back in the mid 90s, so things may have changed, and the local dialect may have faded...

Latest posts