• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Who would be interested in a true disc golf sling bag?

Would you buy a sling bag built for disc golf?

• Yes!

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Probably, if it was kept under $100.

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • Nah, my Crunch Box is good enough.

Votes: 32 56.1%

• Total voters

throwfromthewoods

Double Eagle Member
A few companies have tried selling a sling bag. Repurposed, cheap sling bags. I'm wondering what kind of interest there would be in a sling bag built from the ground up for disc golf. A bag built for what we do.

- 12-15 disc storage (has to be a small bag. Medium/big bag capacity just doesn't seem to cooperate with a sling style).
- More misc. storage than any small bag.
- Fully padded backpack-style single strap.
- Top handle if you just need a quick carry to your lie.

I like the sling bag format for my photo stuff. Think it might make a nice light-weight platform for discs. For my use-case(which would be a quick afternoon round[%80 of what i do]...not an all-day trip or tourney day), I'd also like to have:

- optional, removable stabilizing strap (a la chrome messenger bags) - would snug the bag against the body to allow for a throw without fully removing sling
- disc compartments designed for access when the sling bag is simply rotated under the arm - i.e. don't require me to remove the bag to get to my discs.
- a SMALL(.5L) hydration bladder pocket and tube routing(doesn't have to include the bladder OTS).

The theme, for me, would be something I could load with my 5-10 essential discs and some water for the dog, and grab when I have time for quick, time-constrained round. Done right, you could feasibly play a round without removing the pack from your back at all. Throw, walk to disc, unclip strap, pivot sling, switch discs, pivot sling back, snug up with strap, and throw.

Any other scenario(any time I don't have to worry about a clock, or have other constraints on my round pace) and a sling doesn't offer me much value since I'd most likely opt to grab my full blown bag and all that it entails.

This certainly won't fit everyone's usage model, but this is where I could see myself using a sling, fwiw.

I want to vote no but since you coupled it with something positive about the crunch box I just didnt vote.

I want to vote no but since you coupled it with something positive about the crunch box I just didnt vote.

The Crunch Box is a good bag. Suits a lot of people's needs. I'm not trying to be a salesman or make converts. I want to know if people feel like a sling bag is a wanted bag style in the current market. There are dozens of small bags, more medium/large bags, and a half dozen new backpacks pop up every year. Was just thinking in a direction no one else has seemed to, aside from companies grabbing a couple Chinese mass production slings for $6 each and charging us $30 or $40.

It's entirely possible no one has gone in that direction because there's no market to justify it.

It seems like in order to accommodate enough discs to make a sling bag better than a Nutsac or a makeshift bag, the comfort of the sling style would go away.

I would be very interested if the price point could be kept down to where it'd be a justifiable expenditure for my ancillary, quick-round-and-travel bag. A sling bag would pack and travel way easier than a Crunch Box-style bag, which would be a plus for me. Cramming my Crunch Box into a carry on can be a drag.

For my purposes, I'd prefer smaller and less features than a higher price.

I would be very interested if the price point could be kept down to where it'd be a justifiable expenditure for my ancillary, quick-round-and-travel bag. A sling bag would pack and travel way easier than a Crunch Box-style bag, which would be a plus for me. Cramming my Crunch Box into a carry on can be a drag.

ditto

but it needs to have some kind of storage and a water bottle holder, two things the nutsac really lacks in the base model

The Nutsac is probably my intended future small bag purchase and a Voodoo Karma for a bigger bag. I like the idea of things like the Upper Park Focus, altho it really sucks that if you put the water bladder in you can't fit more than 5 or 6 discs. It doesn't seem like it would actually be really easy to constantly get the discs out. Something like that in a more sling across the chest style would have some serious possibilities IMO.

Maybe it unzips down the side for easy access when you slip it forward to get a disc and inside it has 4 sets of pockets that each hold 2 discs. Still leaves you some room down in between to slide food or a jacket in there. Drink holder to round things out.

I think there's a market, I'm definitely interested in the concept. I used generic sling bags before I moved on to the NutSac. I wouldn't think you'd wanna get any bigger than 8-10 discs, though. 8-10 with storage and a water holster could work well. I use my double NutSac often, but for the water holster and the second disc storage for other stuff, not for more discs.

so like a tennis bag or what? there are already 100 different versions of this kind of bag im not sure one outside of something like the nutsac is really worth the venture.

^^^This.

Definitely interested. I made a post about a month ago with the new bag I bought. I know some do, but don't wanna drag around some book bag and ton of accessories IE chair, cooler, etc

I loved the Sac but it didn't have the features wanted like you're saying. It's not a DG bag so I think it'll get written off a little, but it's a big bang for the buck (under $100 with the water bottle attachment) and super customizable. I couldn't find a good 'sling' style DG brand bag, small and compact but still could tote enough so I went with this guy.

Not trying to troll or whatever people call it.

If you wanna check it out.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96954

Attachments

• Photo Oct 20, 21 53 56.jpg
    Photo Oct 20, 21 53 56.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Photo Oct 20, 21 54 21.jpg
    Photo Oct 20, 21 54 21.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Photo Oct 20, 21 54 24.jpg
    Photo Oct 20, 21 54 24.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 41
I would love a disc golf designed sling bag. But it has to have two 32 oz. water bottle holders. Disc golf bags on the market currently assume you carry 30 discs, a hoodie, an umbrella, a case of beer, a unicorn, knife block, and a pc. Or three discs and a can of spray paint to tag up the signs.

I would pay fifty dollars for a well constructed small bag. It would replace my bag now, not just be a travel bag. It would have to hold ten discs, wallet, phone, mini, and any miscellaneous crap I had in my pockets.

I currently carry an innova competition with backstraps which cost less than one hundred.

The best sling style bag I have used is the DD Sniper. The quality was good, but not Nutsac level, which I also own. It was however better than the Lat 64 Slim Jim I have. I had 7 discs + a putter for 8 total in the Sniper as well as when I carried the Slim Jim. I enjoyed the light weight and ease that come with sling bags but if you go much bigger I would prefer something you can attach quads to.

I now use a Revo after all of my experimenting with sling bags.