• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

why do you guys like wierd plastic so much?

Interesting thread.

I've begun to notice a full DGCR stereotype out on courses. One characteristic is that they throw a large number of discs from exotic companies (Latititude 64, MVP, Westside, etc.). They also talk all about OAT and discing down. Beginning about a month ago I've struck up a conversation every time I see someone fitting this image, and sure enough every single one is active on this site.

I prefer Lat's plastic (both OL and GL) to any of the plastic from Innova/DC. I do, however, prefer DC over Innova, and don't even throw any Innova any more. I just don't like their plastic or their molds (probably because I'm still developing and they came into my bag at bad times). Their greater amounts of inconsistency of molds/plastic blends also deters me (as well as the overwhelming number of molds). I also enjoy parenthetical notes (unrelated to disc golf, but relevant to this post).

I prefer Lat's plastic (both OL and GL) to any of the plastic from Innova/DC. I do, however, prefer DC over Innova, and don't even throw any Innova any more. I just don't like their plastic or their molds (probably because I'm still developing and they came into my bag at bad times). Their greater amounts of inconsistency of molds/plastic blends also deters me (as well as the overwhelming number of molds). I also enjoy parenthetical notes (unrelated to disc golf, but relevant to this post).

Nicely done, sir. :clap::clap:

my question to the OP is why are you so closed minded? just try new things. I know it sucks when you are so heavily invested in a mold/disc/brand and you find one from some "off brand" and you have to re-invest. but this is supposed to be a fun endeavor, have some fun.

There are many innova/mill/dm molds that i wont hesitate to respect. My bag is solid but i still try other discs. I reallly, really, really, wanted to like mvp; the constant talk not only led me to buy, but it i purchased variations, trying to see what i was missing. Its not like i dont think avairs, mags, wiz etc arent great putters.
I dont mind putting my discs to the test against other molds, im just confused over the hype of a lot of the new releases.

I picked up a few MVP discs this winter because I saw a few in the 'Nati pro shop at Mt. Airy and thought they looked neat. Threw them a little, and really started to like them. When the Anode launched, I bought both a light and heavy one. I liked the heavy more, and bought a soft heavyweight when it launched. Haven't tried any Lat64 or Westside, but I've really covered most of the shots I need at the moment. Interested in trying a River though, just to see if I can hyzer flip it past my leopard.

I agree OP, this site is definitely a gathering place for disc hipsters. I throw an ion too, but I'm not going to ditch my bag and buy all new discs cause somebody on the forums did. I made my bed with rocs, bosses, and leopards and I'll lie in it

I was drawn to oddball companies because as a learning player, their smaller selection sizes were less daunting. Innova has 30 distance driver molds alone, and 20 putters. For those of us who lack the skill and experience to benefit from highly specialized discs, Latitude's 10 driver selection (including fairways) is plenty.

^^I can relate to the smaller selection size too. But in general, plastic is cool, all kinds. I buy them because they're intriguing and some folks on DGCR described them as something i might like. If they work, they stay......at least until something else intrigues me. To some extent I think none of us really need more than about six discs - discs that could be provided from almost any single manufacturer, if we chose to make them work.

I like to try all makes and models of discs. That way, I know what works best for me.

I use some discs in wet conditions, others in the wind, etc.

I can't think of any disc that didn't have some use to me. Some are a lot more useful than others.

I have Gold Line plastic in Striker, Flow, River, Havoc, Core, Pain, Fuse and a Opto Halo and River. MVP Vector and Axis.

My opinion is that these discs are better made than the Innova CE being produced lately. They have a great feel and grip and actually look better aesthetically than much of what the other companies are producing in premium plastics, especially the pearly gold line and some of the tournament plastic from Westside. I really liked some of the older Innova Champion plastic molds from about 10 years ago. I still have some but to replace those now costs too much so I found something comparable to that quality in Lat64, haven't tried Westside yet but they are in many ways the same plastic just different molds.

MVP, I have begun working more with them but they haven't found a permanent place in my bag.

I also do have a ton of Vibram, I love their putters both the Medium and Firms in all weights and molds. I use their drivers extensively and these discs hold up really really well as long as they don't bake in a car.

I'm not the biggest fan of Innova anymore, but I will say that their Blizzard Champions are really fun to throw and I'm starting to gather a bunch up to give to newer players that can't throw the heavy weight's yet just to get them started on DG. Never really got into Disccraft so I really don't have an opinion on them because I haven't thrown much but a lot of players on the courses I fre

why do people like l'il wayne?

really why?

is it becuase he's unique...?

I find the Axis to be the best feeling mid-range I have ever used, I get more consistent releases with my axis and it bombs. The pain is an awesome midrange and the river and XXX are quite possibly the best discs on the market for their roles. Opto plastic rocks, it is the most durable plastic I have used while still feeling good in the hand.

innovas inconsistencies have pushed most of their discs out of my bag and half my bag is discraft.

I understand the weird statement. Depending on where you are most people only have access to the big two or even just innova. These other companies are catching on quick and the forums have to be helping. at my home course three years ago it was 95% innova. Now there is at least 30/40 % others. I think it's awesome and pushing the big two to innovate beyond messing with molds.

"weird" would be throwing ABC, DGA, or Ching discs.

Hate to break it to you, Latitude and MVP are now mainstream. And there is reason Lat and MVP continue to encroach on the Innova/Discraft market..... they are producing unique and better alternatives than every other manufacturer.

Also...don't read too much into what the pros throw. They throw those bags full of Discraft and Innova for two reasons. Familiarity (consistency) and Money. If they can make sponsorship dollars and throw the stuff they've used for years they will do it. Don't be surprised though when these other companies start competing in both those categories and you have a big change in who throws what. Look in a pros bag sometime when they're not in a tourney or have potential cameras on their bag. Many have a disc or two from a rival company tucked in there.

I also do have a ton of Vibram, I love their putters both the Medium and Firms in all weights and molds. I use their drivers extensively and these discs hold up really really well as long as they don't bake in a car.

Vibram is the best in wet conditions. I have a collection of their discs "in-between" soft and medium. That's my wet bag.

The Ascent is my favorite driver. If I can only carry one driver, the Ascent is it.