• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wisconsin Trip-Eau Claire-Portage-Milkwaukee

Jeffrey2636

Traveling to Wisconsin in August for work. Will be staying one night in Eau Claire, next Portage, then Milwaukee. Suggestions on the places to play.

Eau Claire - Towers I&II look to be the best option there.

Portage and Milwaukee options are endless. Suggestions please.

Thanks in advance.

jeff

Tower is the best in Eau Claire.

In Milwaukee; Dredtzka is good technical, Brown Deer has more length; they are both 3.5ers. Both are busy courses with Dredtzka sometimes being extremely so. Those are the best two. Many of the others are @3 rated; and wouldn't be bad choices if right close to chosen route. Grafton is a nice, old school niner, but, a bit far north. Most of the stuff going across is kind of meh....Rock River (but the back nine, which is the best, is kind of difficult to navigate) and the niner in Waterloo (Fireman's Park) are the two best IMO.

The new (last year) 9-holer in Portage isn't bad ... Collipp-Worden. I'd also recommend taking Hwy 33 west over to Baraboo for the Lions course at UW - Baraboo / Sauk County.

I'm biased, but if you have time to swing down to the Madison area in either the evening you are staying in Portage or on the way to Milwaukee, both Vallarta - Ast (Token Creek) and Hiestand are close to the Interstate and are nice courses. V-A is $8 for a day pass, but is now 27 holes. Hiestand will be crowded in the late afternoon / evening, but would be a good one to hit in the morning on the way between Portage and Milwaukee.

I would also recommend going to UW-Parkside in Kenosha. It's south of Milwaukee but not that far to play 2 solid 18 hole courses. When in August are you going to be in the area? PM me and maybe I could meet you out somewhere. I agree with what others said. Dretzka is borderline ridiculous is you don't play it early enough in the day. Brown Deer is a solid course and chuckers stay away because it's a little more difficult.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will be there second week of august. Starting on monday in Eau Claire, wednesday portage, wednesday evening in Milwaukee til thursday. If I have a good eno9ugh window of time, I'll give you a shout. Would be fun to play with someone else.

skip the portage course and go to marshall for birds ruins instead if that is driveable for you

Waterloo also will pair well with the marshall course

Rock river is now 21 holes but I have no idea where the 3 new holes are and while the front is not the best, the back 9 is great

Milwaukee has plenty of options depending on what you like. Dretzka, Brown Deer, Valley View, Estabrook

Tower Ridge is 15-20 minutes outside of town, but well worth the trip if you have the time. I haven't been there in years, but I heard they cleared it out and made it easier. Expect around 2 hours per 18. You'll get a workout... it's on a cross country ski trail with some nice elevation. There is a separate parking lot for each course here.

Mount Simon is a decent 9-hole in Eau Claire, if you're strapped for time. Haven't played there in years either, but it used to get quite a bit of traffic.

Dretzka is a very enjoyable course for me, 27 holes --you might need some help finding them in the right order. Brown Deer is a bit flatter, but it's very long and the more challenging course; nice mix of open and wooded holes.

edit: harr mentioned estabrook and valley view. Much shorter courses, would save you some time if you have little to spare.

Last edited:
I'm an Eau Claire area disc golfer, and I hit Tower Ridge all the time. If you'd like someone to throw with let me know, I'd be more than happy to show you the area.
Tower I is the more physically demanding of the two, with lots of elevation changes. Tower II is all flat and can be thrown a little quicker. The two courses meet at one point (hole 8 on both courses) and can be played as a 36-hole loop, that takes some time though.
If you're looking for shorter courses for some quick, confidence building rounds, there's Mt. Simon park and the Northstar Middle school course. Both are easy and can be thrown in about 30 minutes.
Tower Ridge is about 15 miles out of Eau Claire, but definitely worth the drive. Mt. Simon is close to downtown and Northstar is in town and on the way to Tower.