• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wysoki vs. McBeth

I'm not sure I'd call him the best player in the world. World Champion for sure, but best player in the world...

I would say #1 ranked player, POY & World Champ. "Best" is far too subjective and nearly impossible to define over such a short period of time. Was he playing the best golf through Worlds? Yes. Has he continued to dominate since? Definitely not.

Ok. I take it back. He's not the best player in the world. Can we say that he's at least the second best player in the world, tho?

I should have muted my assertion that the 2016 World Champ and 2016 NT points champion is the current best player in the world. Didn't mean for that to distract from my main point. Instead, I should have emphasized my point that it would be foolish for Rick to now abandon the style and technique that he has used so effectively to surge from relative anonymity to the absolute top of the pro game in just two seasons.

I wanted that to be the main thrust of my post. My bad.

Of course he likes the way the World Tour is going. His sponsor's deeply invested in it.

Hey! I get to be the jaded everyone is bought guy!

Paul addressed this in his last interview after being questioned by Terry. Maybe he lied, but he basically said, if I recall, that there is no connection. Then he talked about all the positives of playing in new environments etc. It's a good listen, even if you want to call him a liar.....

Ok. I take it back. He's not the best player in the world. Can we say that he's at least the second best player in the world, tho?

I should have muted my assertion that the 2016 World Champ and 2016 NT points champion is the current best player in the world. Didn't mean for that to distract from my main point. Instead, I should have emphasized my point that it would be foolish for Rick to now abandon the style and technique that he has used so effectively to surge from relative anonymity to the absolute top of the pro game in just two seasons.

I wanted that to be the main thrust of my post. My bad.

I got the main thrust of your point and foolishly went down the wrong track anyway. Sigh. Ricky has the great misfortune to be the second greatest disc golfer of all time at the same time the the greatest disc golfer is playing. Yep Ken, I went there. Of course Ricky has an age advantage. He may yet catch Paul and that will be fun to watch.

it would be foolish for Rick to now abandon the style and technique that he has used so effectively to surge from relative anonymity to the absolute top of the pro game in just two seasons.

two seasons...? ricky has been known for quite some time now.

in 2012, 5 seasons ago, he had over $37,000 in prize money, finished 2nd at worlds, 2nd at USDGC, he won 7 A tiers, 5 NT top 10 finishes including one win...

"relative anonymity".... lol.

foolish for Rick to now abandon the style and technique that he has used so effectively to surge from relative anonymity to the absolute top of the pro game in just two seasons.

Wysocki got 2nd at Am worlds, and the same year got 5th at an NT in Open, and 2nd at Pro Worlds the next year. I don't think he started his pro career in 'anonimity'. He was competing with the best immediately.

I've been thinking about Green Mountain. It is my feeling that Paul is better in the woods and that Ricky dominates in open environments, even with ob, where he can chose the line he wants to throw down. If I am correct, Green Mountain represents a test since both course type s are there, one o each.

I've been thinking about Green Mountain. It is my feeling that Paul is better in the woods and that Ricky dominates in open environments, even with ob, where he can chose the line he wants to throw down. If I am correct, Green Mountain represents a test since both course type s are there, one o each.

This. :thmbup: :hfive:

Totally agree that McBeth is better on technical/wooded courses. IMHO Ricky was fortunate that the Worlds this year was on all open courses (and McBeth pressed too hard and couldn't hit IB half the time).

Green Mountain should be interesting.

This. :thmbup: :hfive:

Totally agree that McBeth is better on technical/wooded courses. IMHO Ricky was fortunate that the Worlds this year was on all open courses (and McBeth pressed too hard and couldn't hit IB half the time).

Green Mountain should be interesting.

I had had the thought last year, but what really brought it home was De La, where Paul led throughout the wooded courses (remember, better doesn't mean killing Ricky, just an advantage there) and then they went out to the golf course and Ricky took the win. It is hard to fully judge given Paul's injury, but still.

Ricky has the advantage of knowing the courses quite well at smuggs. It is true what has been said about though. Brewster is tight and technical at times(hole 9) While Fox run is wide open with OB. The two courses could not be more different. We are so psyched to watch these two guys duel it out and compete ourselves all week. Going to be a sick Tourney!

I had had the thought last year, but what really brought it home was De La, where Paul led throughout the wooded courses (remember, better doesn't mean killing Ricky, just an advantage there) and then they went out to the golf course and Ricky took the win. It is hard to fully judge given Paul's injury, but still.

Paul had a one-throw lead over Ricky going into the final round and lost by one throw. No significant difference.

Only problem was... they had an issue trying to identify which of a pair of identical discs belonged to who. There WAS an issue there.

After that, the discs got marked, so a warning would've been just that (a warning) and no further damage done.

Again... you're revisionist history is incorrect.

Did they need extra time to identify the LIGHTLY marked discs? Yes.

Is that an offense the needs requires a warning? No.

Devan darkened his already EXISTING light mark, but that's okay too. I do it often.

If one or both discs were to have been unmarked, then by all means an warning should've been issued. When they both stated the discs were indeed marked, the story ended IMMEDIATELY at that point in time.

At The Vibram this year, Rick finished 4 back & McBeth finished 14 back. Maple Hill is pretty technical and wooded, I think most folks would agree.

McBeth wasn't there but Rick won there last year by 9 strokes, posting no round below 1051. That's pretty good.

Wasn't Paul forced into straddle putting at the Vibram due to injury? I think that's the key difference this year, Paul couldn't practice putting like normal and his results suffered for it.

Wasn't Paul forced into straddle putting at the Vibram due to injury? I think that's the key difference this year, Paul couldn't practice putting like normal and his results suffered for it.

What about 2015? Rick beat him then and McBeth wasn't straddle putting. And Rick was 8 strokes better than McBeth at The Vibram in 2014.

My point is that Rick can play in the woods.

With his Worlds streak ending McBeth is going to crush the rest of the season, and another streak will begin.

2X

Again... you're revisionist history is incorrect.

Did they need extra time to identify the LIGHTLY marked discs? Yes.

Is that an offense the needs requires a warning? No.

Devan darkened his already EXISTING light mark, but that's okay too. I do it often.

If one or both discs were to have been unmarked, then by all means an warning should've been issued. When they both stated the discs were indeed marked, the story ended IMMEDIATELY at that point in time.

The issue came from McBeth saying that he heard Owens say that the disc was not marked, and then by the time the marshal came the discs had been marked/darkened. Owens walked right over to me and another guy to ask if either of us had a Sharpie, because one of his marks had faded. When the marshal got there, he asked if the discs were marked, they said yes, and he moved on. McBeth seemed to be upset that the marshal didn't actually look at the discs.

In talking with McBeth, his whole issue was with the situation coming off as unprofessional, with two guys on the lead card even having to flip their discs to check for marks in the first place. It all comes back to what we've talked about earlier in this thread and his desire for everything to be as professional as possible.

The issue came from McBeth saying that he heard Owens say that the disc was not marked, and then by the time the marshal came the discs had been marked/darkened. Owens walked right over to me and another guy to ask if either of us had a Sharpie, because one of his marks had faded. When the marshal got there, he asked if the discs were marked, they said yes, and he moved on. McBeth seemed to be upset that the marshal didn't actually look at the discs.

In talking with McBeth, his whole issue was with the situation coming off as unprofessional, with two guys on the lead card even having to flip their discs to check for marks in the first place. It all comes back to what we've talked about earlier in this thread and his desire for everything to be as professional as possible.

So does that mean that McBeth always marks both sides of his discs? Sounds like a good idea either way.