• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wysoki vs. McBeth

Cam Todd shouldn't be counted out either, especially coming off his win out their earlier this year.

McBeth only had high hopes to play college baseball. Never actually did play.

I think Wiggins probably has more talent for baseball(and disc golf) than McBeth.

By your metric I'm a far superior talent than all these chumps except maybe Ben Askren, I broke a couple D1 school records.
There's no maybe, you nor anyone else on this forum would even come close to him. The skill required for wrestling, especially in the weight classes, is second to none.
Uh oh let's get into a sports debate!

The weakness that I see in Paul's game is that he often doesn't really crank it up until after one or two rounds. In a three round format, that doesn't leave much time.

This is why worlds is such a huge event and really the most important tourney. So many rounds that Mcbeth plays right at or above his rating average. Over the course of 4,5,6 rounds, Mcbeth is the only person that really can maintain that consistency IMO. I do think Ricky is having an excellent year and a better year than Mcbeth, however. So are many other guys. What Mcbeth did last year is what I believe truly made a handful of guys start to play better. These guys probably got tired of coming in second all the time and by so many strokes. There really is a ceiling in dg for everyone. Mcbeth has reach that ceiling and now a few others are starting to climb so it makes it appear as though Mcbeth is struggling when he's really not. People are just pushing him more and playing better

The weakness that I see in Paul's game is that he often doesn't really crank it up until after one or two rounds. In a three round format, that doesn't leave much time.

I noticed that also. McBeth comes from behind a LOT, and has the last several years. In some ways, I think this is a motivating factor for him, to have to put it in a higher gear to catch up, and then he stays in that higher gear and wins. In the 2015 Worlds, he was like that... slow early, then blistered the middle rounds until the final 9 was a "McBeast Victory Lap".

Furthermore to the overall thread's subject: I watched the final round of the European Masters, and Paul not only caught up, he was in the lead. But his approaches in the final few holds left longer putts, while Ricky just parked his approaches for putts even I can easily make. :) Seriously, it led to the lead change, and a a huge factor in that tournament ending....

As to the chain out on 18, I'd say Paul's disc shook hands with the outermost chains, not even a real spit-out. Last year, Paul might make that putt; this year, ju-ust a bit outside. He parks the approach, we're not having this same conversation (nor thread).

Last but not least, I noticed that Eagle McMahon was making some layups towards the end. Maybe he got tired, maybe he realized he wasn't going to luck out into 1st place, so he preserved his standing. Either way, I think that was mature thinking for an 18 year old, and very solid of Eagle to stay within himself and play that way. That kid is going to be the McBeast's nemesis before too much longer...

Last edited:
This is why worlds is such a huge event and really the most important tourney. So many rounds that Mcbeth plays right at or above his rating average. Over the course of 4,5,6 rounds, Mcbeth is the only person that really can maintain that consistency IMO. I do think Ricky is having an excellent year and a better year than Mcbeth, however. So are many other guys. What Mcbeth did last year is what I believe truly made a handful of guys start to play better. These guys probably got tired of coming in second all the time and by so many strokes. There really is a ceiling in dg for everyone. Mcbeth has reach that ceiling and now a few others are starting to climb so it makes it appear as though Mcbeth is struggling when he's really not. People are just pushing him more and playing better

I'd agree with one exception, Paul's putting isn't quite right, or at least by last year's measure. But given the knee injury, what can you expect? He looked better at EM, but I'm dying to see Worlds once he's had a little more time to get back in shape. If he is fully on, and RW plays as he has been, it will be a slugfest that will make 4, 5, and 6 well worth watching. Talk about a war of nerves. And if they aren't careful, someone could sneak up on them. It will be fun no matter what.

I'd agree with one exception, Paul's putting isn't quite right, or at least by last year's measure. But given the knee injury, what can you expect? He looked better at EM, but I'm dying to see Worlds once he's had a little more time to get back in shape. If he is fully on, and RW plays as he has been, it will be a slugfest that will make 4, 5, and 6 well worth watching. Talk about a war of nerves. And if they aren't careful, someone could sneak up on them. It will be fun no matter what.

Agreed. Paul doesn't seem to be his old self. Still..he's playing great, but just doesn't seem the same. I'm hoping Simon comes back close to his old self, but those disc golf injuries are brutal and forces you to re-think things once you come back.

Paul is much bigger now than he was last year. Even though he might be in his best physical shape, could the changes in his physique affect mechanics?

I still don't think we see from Rick, in his best season yet, what we have seen from Paul. It seems clear he is playing subpar to what he has done in the past couple years. Paul said in an interview that he now has more movement in his form, how weird he feels, and how he is able to use his standard putt again even though he hasn't dialed it in.

I honestly believe him. It makes sense as to how he has performing. You can see that things that he has done in the past aren't quite the same since the off-season. I bet when he actually gets back to practicing without all of these problems with his body/health, we'll see him get to that same level. And that level is still something we haven't seen from Rick.

Yeah, Rick did win the European Master's, but he also almost lost it. He has a good lead going into it, and it was clear he couldn't get his normal shots off the tee, upshots, and putting. He seems to be the type of player that has to be closed to the top to come out with a win in the end, whereas McBeth doesn't care where he is and has the mental ability to charge for the lead.

^ I don't think anyone is saying that Ricky's current season is better than McBeth's 2015, or even 2014. He is having a better year THIS SEASON, though. Injury shminjury. It's part of being a professional athlete. If it's bothering someone so much, take some time off, otherwise I don't want to hear about it. Especially not every single time said athlete comes up short.

The whole "oh but he almost lost it" is silly, too. He led from wire to wire with exception of parts of the final round. You want him to lead for 54 holes in every event and win my 10 shots? That is not how it works. McBeth's World titles came by the skin of his teeth on more than one occasion. Just like Ricky has had a tendency to limp down the home stretch (not so much this year), Paul has shown tendency to start slow. Since all rounds count the same, there isn't much difference between the 2. Plus, Ricky has chased down Paul and outperformed him down the stretch more times than not this season. Speaking of the euro Masters, Paul led by 1 with 2 holes to play, and let Ricky stroke him on each of the last 2 holes.

McBeth being soooo good is what makes someone other than him outplaying him that much more exciting. These types of debates are not an indictment on Paul, as much as a show of respect for what a beast he is. I just like to play devil's advocate, while making sure Ricky gets his due respect. This has been my favorite season since I started 4 years ago, from a spectator POV.

^ I don't think anyone is saying that Ricky's current season is better than McBeth's 2015, or even 2014. He is having a better year THIS SEASON, though. Injury shminjury. It's part of being a professional athlete. If it's bothering someone so much, take some time off, otherwise I don't want to hear about it. Especially not every single time said athlete comes up short.

The whole "oh but he almost lost it" is silly, too. He led from wire to wire with exception of parts of the final round. You want him to lead for 54 holes in every event and win my 10 shots? That is not how it works. McBeth's World titles came by the skin of his teeth on more than one occasion. Just like Ricky has had a tendency to limp down the home stretch (not so much this year), Paul has shown tendency to start slow. Since all rounds count the same, there isn't much difference between the 2. Plus, Ricky has chased down Paul and outperformed him down the stretch more times than not this season. Speaking of the euro Masters, Paul led by 1 with 2 holes to play, and let Ricky stroke him on each of the last 2 holes.

McBeth being soooo good is what makes someone other than him outplaying him that much more exciting. These types of debates are not an indictment on Paul, as much as a show of respect for what a beast he is. I just like to play devil's advocate, while making sure Ricky gets his due respect. This has been my favorite season since I started 4 years ago, from a spectator POV.

Let me be clear, I am not trying to discount Ricky's achievements or say that he doesn't deserve the season that he has. It seemed he is much more consistent at a high level than he has ever been, and is probably evidenced by the stats shown in this thread.

That being said, while Ricky is playing great, he is not beating the true ability of McBeth. I'm not trying to make excuses with his injuries--I honestly don't care too much. To me, though, it seems quite evident that people are beating McBeth because he is not playing with the performance that he has. You say take a break from DG to heal, etc., and according to him he has done that. He has taken off for less important tournaments, taken a month+ off during the off-season, etc., and it clearly has lowered his performance. And yet here we are seeing Ricky barely beat a McBeth that just now has even started using his normal putt. Again, I'm not making excuses for him, but it just doesn't seem nearly as exciting has seeing someone who can beat McBeth when he is playing like the McBeth we know. Yes, Ricky has chased him down and beaten him, but what's it really worth when you are playing McBeth at his current performance level.

This has not been my favorite year to watch disc golf, but it would instead be last year. Why? Not because McBeth won everything, but because I saw the highest-played, most ridiculously good disc golf I had ever seen. And that's what I think has brought so much improvement to a lot of the top pros seen this year.

And honestly, I don't understand all this stuff about McBeth eating his words. Why should he? Based on what he had seen, and what we have seen, he was right. That's pretty much what Ricky did. Yeah, Ricky seems to have gotten better about it, but that doesn't make McBeth wrong.

There's no maybe, you nor anyone else on this forum would even come close to him. The skill required for wrestling, especially in the weight classes, is second to none.
Uh oh let's get into a sports debate!
You completely misinterpreted that. "by your metric"