• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

XXX

pointdisc said:
Jesse B 707 said:
pointdisc said:
Roc Lover said:
its great for getting our thumbers out there on longer holes... but tommies not so much

??? I have no problems w/ tommies and am curious how it works on thumbers for you but not tommies.
id hazard a guess that it turns too slow for him on tommies and basically hits the ground at the same angle he threw it at.....throw it harder/higher :wink:

Figured somewhere along those lines. Still not quite sure how some can only throw one or the other.

This is so me. I cant throw a thumber to save my life, but im pretty accurate with a tommy. This is due to a hand injury that has left my thumb unable to move at the join closest to the nail and only partial movement at the other digit.

pointdisc said:
Roc Lover said:
its great for getting our thumbers out there on longer holes... but tommies not so much

??? I have no problems w/ tommies and am curious how it works on thumbers for you but not tommies.
Coming from Ultimate, it's very hard to throw a tommy with an XXX, but strangely thumbers are terrific. probably because I don't try to throw them with an ultra star very often

Anyone thrown a Goldline XXX yet? I'd love to hear descriptions, see pictures, etc.

Seconded/Bumped. I'd like to hear this too, though I'm not sure what I'd be looking for in them besides not being so darn clear. Less stable is my C-PD so...more stable? That probably wouldn't happen though...

they look nice,http://www.dtworld.com/Gold_Line_XXX_p/lat-xxx-gold.htm . I want to try one so bad but for what I have ce fbs for. my guess is when the xxx beats in,theyll be the same.

these things come back but they do have good glide at least for a firebird like stable. I think that with the strikers the opto glides better since they have more dome.

Bump

I have a question for anyone that has had a OPTO XXX for a while and they feel it is getting beat up.

Has anyone beat a XXX to the point where it becomes flippy? Is this possible?

And, as the XXX beats in,does it gain any glide because of the loss of stability?

I have had mine for over 8 months, and it is still a meat hook.

yeah i doubt it will become flippy. i have a used firebird for those shots cuz i feel like i'll break the XXX before it becomces flippy. yeah maybe get a goldline cuz they will break in faster.

I can't answer for that but a couple of top juniors in Finland had their beat GL XXXs flip in the _monster_ winds at the Finnish Open. Some rounds there were more akin to rolling dice than a round of DG. The winds certainly separated the players. The winds were so fast that any disc gained glide but that is one of the best parts of the XXX and IMO they are at their best in the winds so maybe a beat and fresh one for different shots are good to have. The beat one might be more useful in less windy occasions. It all depends on your nose angles, OAT and power how the disc is gonna perform in different winds. I wouldn't wonder an Opto lasting a long time as a meat hook. I think it's just gonna become a milder meat hook hardly straight ever. At least losing PDGA legality from wear prior to becoming straight. Calm weather glide is hardly in the cards.

My Goldline gold colored XXX got broken in the leading edge with tommies landing onto rocks. Opto does break at the same course so GL dying fast isn't surprising.

I have been playing with an xxx in the bag for the past two weeks or so. It's one of the best FH rollers I've ever thrown.

colombo117 said:
Bump

I have a question for anyone that has had a OPTO XXX for a while and they feel it is getting beat up.

Has anyone beat a XXX to the point where it becomes flippy? Is this possible?
I have one of the newer optos that are soft with a little dome that I beat into a wall on purpose and it has a tiny bit of -HSS on really hard throws or into headwinds
And, as the XXX beats in,does it gain any glide because of the loss of stability?
No. Mine just turns a bit and then fades hard. It is only different at the highest speeds, otherwise it's just like a new one
I have had mine for over 8 months, and it is still a meat hook.

JR said:
I can't answer for that but a couple of top juniors in Finland had their beat GL XXXs flip in the _monster_ winds at the Finnish Open. Some rounds there were more akin to rolling dice than a round of DG. The winds certainly separated the players. The winds were so fast that any disc gained glide but that is one of the best parts of the XXX and IMO they are at their best in the winds so maybe a beat and fresh one for different shots are good to have. The beat one might be more useful in less windy occasions. It all depends on your nose angles, OAT and power how the disc is gonna perform in different winds. I wouldn't wonder an Opto lasting a long time as a meat hook. I think it's just gonna become a milder meat hook hardly straight ever. At least losing PDGA legality from wear prior to becoming straight. Calm weather glide is hardly in the cards.

My Goldline gold colored XXX got broken in the leading edge with tommies landing onto rocks. Opto does break at the same course so GL dying fast isn't surprising.

did you mean "break in" or like "broken" ?

Today i was playing some safari golf at a smaller course today and threw a thumber with my xXx, full speed, hit an iron BBQ pit (you see em at parks everywhere in the US, metal box with a grill space) right on the lip/edge of it. This throw had some heat on it. Barely a scratch. No nicks, gouges, dents nothing. As far as durability goes (and grip IMO for plastics of its type) Opto is by far the best around currently

Broken. The plastic is brittle and the leading edge landing after a tommy onto granite had the leading edge shatter spider webbed like a blow to a mirror would if the mirror does not shatter to pieces. That area is small but there none the less. I doubt that it would be easy to fix so that anybody wouldn't notice it so I think that's a goner for PDGA approved play. Only two rounds on that course and very few shots :-( Opto does the same on that course. Every other type of abuse seems to be easily handled by Lat primo plastic. As well as Champ or Z plastic. Too bad there's a weakness in the way that is most prevalent on my home course.

The other oddity in plastic I've noticed is Discmania GM S-Line. Ordinary S-Line can take anything as well as any other prime plastic but there just is so little abrasion resistance that after the first tow rounds with mine on the rocky course it looked two years old on the underside and totally new on top and in the leading edge. The tendency to skip and thus scratch along the ground for a while may contribute to this with the GM.

Unless your XXX in punctured all the way through, it's still legal for PDGA use.

The disc is missing a piece and has a serrated edge at one place thus becoming a dangerous disc (more than regular ones). I think i read something about the discs needing to be as safe as possible. I don't remember the wording.

i would guess the XXX is the worst disc to get hit by! i think maybe a champ MAX might be sharper. or the new glow champ firebirds. anyhow broken edge or not you are going to be going to get stiched up.

Latest posts