• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Your thoughts on the Innova Gator?

Gator?

• Yay!

Votes: 244 59.2%
  • Nay!

Votes: 36 8.7%
  • Never tried it.

Votes: 132 32.0%

• Total voters
Yay!

I love the "ball" reference...never knew exactly how to describe it, but that nails it.

Had a DX forever, and just picked up a Star this fall. Being off-white, I felt it was the perfect canvas to improve on Innova's DX stamp.

croco-stimpy.jpg

The gator is a good compliment approach/short mid-range disc. This wont be your primary approach disc, but it will be "the other disc" that you cant live without.

For me, its a very good over stable disc. It's very wind resistant. I use it when i need a disc to stay on the ground, wind could be a problem, i need more of a hook than my roc, or i need more distance than my gummy rhyno. there are many rounds where i never use it, but there are some where it seems that it gets more use than my roc.

In recent weeks i've also discovered that it is one of the best sidearm discs in this same range. It has very good control. I am not a sidearm guy, but when the occasion rises, i have no doubts in my gator. In a practice field, i've thrown this disc (around) 300' with perfect accuracy, and little fade.

For me, there is some overlap with this disc and a Rhyno, but this is it's bigger brother. The rhyno is a short range approach and putter compliment where the Gator is the Roc compliment.

Ah but the beauty is that they don't glide well. It's very difficult for them to overshoot the pin.

I had both the Pig and the Gator. I found them a bit too extreme for my liking. I do like the Rhyno, still overstable, but not so much. I also like the Drone, again, overstable, but a bit more glide.

Is one of yours the one I am ranting about? I can never remember who I traded with, there are so many.

I think it was. That Gator had less glide than the Drone that I kept. Don't know about DX or other beaded models.

I love it, I have DX plastic also, but have been wanting to pick up a star or a CFR if I can find one. It's one of my only discs that actually goes where I want it to and sticks.

1) You F***ing rock for this dye.

2) I have a star gator that I think is really awesome. I don't really have a place for it in my bag. I don't know what to do with it in my typical game...but it's a REALLY awesome disc.

I honestly see me putting this is in my bag down the road, I always consider it when changing things up.

\/\/

I have a CFR Gator, which is the beaded version in Champ plastic. It is the only variety of Gator I have thrown, and I love it. It's been in my bag for over a year and is nearly as stable as the day I bought it. Money for windy approaches that don't need quite the distance of an overstable midrange, forehand approaches (as mentioned previously in another post), and out of trouble shots. I've been meaning to get a few more for backups but mine never seems to beat in so I have very little motivation (similar to the CE plastic dilemma :)).

I have not tried one but a I know a few guys who love these.

I have a star gator and it should just be called the brick or the load. It flies nice and straight (will not turn over) but then sits right down. Thrown too weakly and it will slide hard left on you, but I try to make it hit the ground before doing that unless I have to get around something in front of me.

I have a Star Gator and it is definitely my go to mid on windy days or when I need something I know won't flip. Even after not throwing it for weeks at a time I can always put it were I want it. Definitely not a distance mid though, this thing has no glide and usually digs into the ground nicely and stops.

I bought that disc for two purposes. When I am stuck in the trees and need to get out with a big hyzer, and for just short holes on windy days where I can just throw it really hard and not have it turn over. I love the disc, I don't use it very often but it is a great rescue disc and one of the only midranges that I can hold with a power grip.

i only picked 'never tried it' because there wasn't an option for 'never heard of it'

why yes, i am new to the game...

Its really been covered pretty well so not much I can add. I have a Star Gator and it does exactly what it is supposed to do: shoots straight ahead between 200-250' and hooks abruptly to the right(RHFH). Sounds like the CFR ones are even more stable. I would say this though, this is the disc for those who can't seem to throw a FH with other mids. A must have for wooded courses as well.

Put my drive about 80' away from the pin, directly on the wrong side of a 50' diameter tree. Gator, forehand spike hyzer, under the basket. Most definitely a get out of trouble disc.

Love it. Go to mid-range, displaced the Shark from that spot in my bag, never thought that would happen.

I had a Champ Gator but didn't like it. I should give it another try for windy conditions.

I got some proto Gators in the shop when they came out. They were all yellow and had the "choice of champions" stamp on them. I got no accompanying information as to WTF they were supposed to do, so I took one out to test. After a few throws I started to wonder if it was supposed to be a glideless hunk of garbage or if I was just throwing it wrong. Later I finally got some info on it from Innova and found out it was supposed to be a glideless hunk of garbage. Obviously it has a following, but it's not my cup of tea at all.

I keep a dx gator in my bag, it's a great disc for spike hyzers and skip shots in shorter ranges, and is extremely predictable even in wind. It's also the only mid I can throw decently forehand or overhand, and it's saved me that way a bunch of times. It's not my go to mid at all, my roc and buzz get a whole lot more use, but when I need the gator I know I can count on it.

I have only heard one story of back to back aces.

One guy in one tournament threw one disc twice in a row and ended up with two aces.

That disc was a CFR Gator.

You can't beat that.

Latest posts