• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Your thoughts on the Innova Gator?

Gator?

• Yay!

Votes: 244 59.2%
  • Nay!

Votes: 36 8.7%
  • Never tried it.

Votes: 132 32.0%

• Total voters
Gator is one of the least used discs in my bag but I've had the same one for like two years now.

F2 champ beaded gator. So reliable. Hard to lose.

I just got a F2 Metal Flake Gator about a month ago. I don't use it a ton, but when I am in a situation where I need it, it is the only disc i would consider throwing. After my sharks, fuse, and buzzz, my stable/OS mids are a KC Roc, Champ Roc3, and Metal Flake Gator. I got all those about the same time, so they're not beat up at all yet. If something is needed to go left more than a Roc3, I reach straight for my Gator.

I have one coming in about a week, I'll get back to ya after I compare it to a first run pearly and a ring of gators. I have high hopes for the luster, but so far the ring of gators were the closest I've found to the original pearly champs.

im hoping the luster are close to the pearlies as well,those were always my favorite gators to throw. luster would be a whole lot cheaper. i know the pearly recon mortar 1.4(the beadless gator mold) are nice and overstable so i imagine the bead would beef the gator up more in luster champ

im hoping the luster are close to the pearlies as well,those were always my favorite gators to throw. luster would be a whole lot cheaper. i know the pearly recon mortar 1.4(the beadless gator mold) are nice and overstable so i imagine the bead would beef the gator up more in luster champ

Agreed, I have a feeling the flat top lusters are going to be around the stability of the ring of gators. My ring of gators is a brick even more os than my first run champ. I'm hoping the luster is real close to the pearly old ones as well.

necrobump

has anyone thrown a luster gator? im curious about the stability compared to old pearly champs and the original glow gats

I had one of those special Luster Gators. It seemed less blunt if I remember correctly and flew less overstable than my preferred Metal flake Gators.

From innovastore.net: "While these Gators have a flat flight plate, the outside rim is more round than with some of the Champion Gators we've seen."

... "In terms of flight, these Gators have a stiff and relentless fade in low speeds, but in very high speeds they can actually keep a straight flight path fairly long before the powerful fade kicks in. This makes these Gators very versatile for shorter approaches and off the tee."

So, less stable than regular gators.

Had a ring of gators once that was notably more overstable as well, more so than my metal flake gators.

Agreed, I have a feeling the flat top lusters are going to be around the stability of the ring of gators. My ring of gators is a brick even more os than my first run champ. I'm hoping the luster is real close to the pearly old ones as well.

I am not familiar with this term. Is this like a congregation of alligators?

I don't use the Gator as I have other discs to use as I have a Max weight 175 gram Shark in Star and old Pro plastic but the disc is not bad and I could use the Gator in Star For 3 of the 4 things I use a Shark for, in place of a Driving putter, a Approach disc, and a putter for windy days. The one thing the disc is not as good as is a midrange disc the other thing I can use a Shark for.

necrobump

has anyone thrown a luster gator? im curious about the stability compared to old pearly champs and the original glow gats

My brother did throw a Metal Flake Champion Gator the one I got him for his birthday in 2017 and he said it was way more overstable then a DX Gator and even a good bit more then a Star variety, he used somebody else's but does not like the feel of Star Plastic.

It came in today and it feels and flies great. Not super stiff but firm with a little give in the plate. While i was home,I grabbed my beadless star gator,concave esp zone, and 2 Amber gila's to throw for a but before heading back to work.

Thankfully a decent wind was blowing,about 6mph, so I could throw them in different directions.

The Beadless gator is 167g ,holds straight into a headwind but still dumps once its slows down. The luster is 175g and wanted to fade out a little earlier and dumped out once it slowed down as well. The zone flew nearly identical but was shorter and had less glide of course because it was concave. The 2 gila's went further but I just wanted to throw those to see it there was any difference,and there was.

I threw them as much as I could on different angles,both fh and bh, before heading back to work. Overall I would say it is what I expected and cant wait to throw it on an actual course. In terms of HSS I would say it is comparable to my 180g Gila,which is os but larger diameter and has more glide.

If I had to rank them based on HSS from greatest to least I would say

Gila 180g & luster gator
Esp zone 173g
Gila 172g
Beadless gator 167g

The difference isn't extremely different but the small increase in HSS is noticeable from the beadless to the luster when thrown fh and bh flex shots. The gator has always been longer than the zone,just because of the difference in glide but both are fairly close in distance.

All in all,it was a good purchase .

Attachments

• 20171127_131812.jpg
    20171127_131812.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 34
It came in today and it feels and flies great. Not super stiff but firm with a little give in the plate. While i was home,I grabbed my beadless star gator,concave esp zone, and 2 Amber gila's to throw for a but before heading back to work.

Thankfully a decent wind was blowing,about 6mph, so I could throw them in different directions.

The Beadless gator is 167g ,holds straight into a headwind but still dumps once its slows down. The luster is 175g and wanted to fade out a little earlier and dumped out once it slowed down as well. The zone flew nearly identical but was shorter and had less glide of course because it was concave. The 2 gila's went further but I just wanted to throw those to see it there was any difference,and there was.

I threw them as much as I could on different angles,both fh and bh, before heading back to work. Overall I would say it is what I expected and cant wait to throw it on an actual course. In terms of HSS I would say it is comparable to my 180g Gila,which is os but larger diameter and has more glide.

If I had to rank them based on HSS from greatest to least I would say

Gila 180g & luster gator
Esp zone 173g
Gila 172g
Beadless gator 167g

The difference isn't extremely different but the small increase in HSS is noticeable from the beadless to the luster when thrown fh and bh flex shots. The gator has always been longer than the zone,just because of the difference in glide but both are fairly close in distance.

All in all,it was a good purchase .

A Beedless Gator is now a Morter by Hyzerbomb or that is the closest Production to the To the Beadless Gator and it flies almost the same. You can get them in more then just their Name of the G Star plastic too. It could save money on finding a Beadless Gator those are hard to find.