• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ESP Cyclone - home for wayward gazelle throwers

discspeed said:
I've been playing mostly on an open course lately to practice for an upcoming tourney, and unfortunately the Cyclone doesn't have much use there. However, today I went to one of my other two "home" courses and parked 4/5 of my drives with my ESP Cyclone. I'm still loving this disc and I'm looking forward to beating some HSS out of it because it's still too stable for a couple of lines that I know it is going to excel at. I'm still astounded at how natural this disc feels out of my hand and how short the learning curve has been for me.

I'm not sure I understand what the problem is with open holes? Shouldn't they be easier? No matter what the disc? Maybe wind differences, but the Cyclone is great in the wind in my experience.

Anyways, I need some new Cyclones. (Mine is beat but still very useful...I think the ace I got with it was a really hard impact, the disc simply hasn't flown the same since.) I'll buy some from your store, discspeed, so you can get some more new ones on the rack to throw.

I know where discspeed is coming from. The cyclone is great for manipulating flight. In the open you don't need to manipulate flight excessively. A Z Pred on a hyzer or straight and fade is much more predictable than a cyclone in the open. But I still reach for the cyclone when there is a gap to hit or I need a more complex line.

I'm not sure I understand what the problem is with open holes? Shouldn't they be easier? No matter what the disc? Maybe wind differences, but the Cyclone is great in the wind in my experience.

Anyways, I need some new Cyclones. (Mine is beat but still very useful...I think the ace I got with it was a really hard impact, the disc simply hasn't flown the same since.) I'll buy some from your store, discspeed, so you can get some more new ones on the rack to throw.
Thatdirtykid said:
I know where discspeed is coming from. The cyclone is great for manipulating flight. In the open you don't need to manipulate flight excessively. A Z Pred on a hyzer or straight and fade is much more predictable than a cyclone in the open. But I still reach for the cyclone when there is a gap to hit or I need a more complex line.

TDK is pretty spot on. The Cyclone is not great in wind, especially swirly and unpredictable wind. It can flip up out of a hyzer or go farther/shorter than intended. Out in the open and over water I would much rather throw a disc that relies more on power than glide because they are more predictable and I can open up my throw/throw hyzers without fear of having to hit a gap. I'll also add that at the course I was referring to (Cliff Stephens) is not only open, but just happens to have hole lengths that are either better for my Buzzz or better for my PDs.

Discspeed is right about there are better options on open courses than the cyclone(t-bird,eagle,etc). Though the Z clone is money for windy days but you need an arm to throw it and its OOP. The ESP clone is great for shaping lines in the woods. I still like the Z clones better than the ESP.

DaPats said:
I still like the Z clones better than the ESP.

You have to be the only one. I used to carry one and used it for shots that a wasp couldn't quite reach, but on that sweeping hyzer wasp line. But that was all it was good for.

discspeed said:
TDK is pretty spot on. The Cyclone is not great in wind, especially swirly and unpredictable wind. It can flip up out of a hyzer or go farther/shorter than intended. Out in the open and over water I would much rather throw a disc that relies more on power than glide because they are more predictable and I can open up my throw/throw hyzers without fear of having to hit a gap

And that should be true for most larger diameter discs. More surface area = gets pushed around more by the wind.

We just got a bunch of heavy new ESPs in at the store. I don't have time to do a complete inventory, but PM me if you are looking for some.

victorb said:
I bow to the knowledge of cyclone throwers....
I kind of feel bad for not throwing them before now.
I got an ESP today and feel the same. It's a fine disc, probably able to knock another disc or even two out of my bag, especially if I can get it to FH well. That's probably just a matter of time.

Thatdirtykid said:
DaPats said:
I still like the Z clones better than the ESP.

You have to be the only one. I used to carry one and used it for shots that a wasp couldn't quite reach, but on that sweeping hyzer wasp line. But that was all it was good for.
i probably am and you are right about the the shot to. i use it for shots between my rocs and t-birds. My Z clones are broken in are dead straight or you can anny them. it took a long time but was worth it. ESPs are fun dont get me wrong but the Z dont bounce around like the ESP does. Anyways i do throw all types of clones from OG plastic from the 90s,TPs, elite x, ESP, and the so hated z. Z clone is like an champ eagle.

DaPats said:
Discspeed is right about there are better options on open courses than the cyclone(t-bird,eagle,etc). Though the Z clone is money for windy days but you need an arm to throw it and its OOP. The ESP clone is great for shaping lines in the woods. I still like the Z clones better than the ESP.

Just curious to know your take on the Z-Cyclone as everybody else states that it is bunk or isn't what they thought it would be. You're the first person that I know of or can remember that likes this disc.

Sean40474 said:
DaPats said:

Just curious to know your take on the Z-Cyclone as everybody else states that it is bunk or isn't what they thought it would be. You're the first person that I know of or can remember that likes this disc.

Yeah, I tried one. For me it was too stable, and too glideless, to be a real cyclone. Mine was flat as a pancake. Cyclones should have a dome.

i use the z clone as a utility slow fairwy driver slot. mind you it is really broken in. they are meathooks when new. it cover my shots between 275-350 when my rocs are not feasable for certain lines. it will hyzer, go dead straight, or anny. I like it for thumbers and flick shot too. i dont read into the glideless debate. i throw what works since i play mostly wooded course. yes it is an unconventional disc but when i played in the Vibram Open couple years ago i saw a few guys throwing thumbers off the tee for placement drives. unconventional yes but they were in the fairway. they made the cut too.

this time of year i start pulling out the z clone out of the bag and go to dx and esp so i dont lose them. to many leaves down and the snow is coming soon. i have been throwing clones since the early 90's so switching clones is no big deal.

Got 2 ESP Cyclones in the mail today from discspeed's store...looking forward to throwing them for comparison...

I got my order in mike. Thanks.
4 esp clones from clearwater.
I threw 2 and immediately fell in love with the clone all over again. I've got some beat tp clones comin in so I'm very pleased.i duno y I ever stopped throwing clones to begin with.great disc

no free, but very cheap.

blue, and idk the rest. ill get back to ya when i am at my appt later

discspeed said:
...The Cyclone is not great in wind, especially swirly and unpredictable wind. It can flip up out of a hyzer or go farther/shorter than intended. Out in the open and over water I would much rather throw a disc that relies more on power than glide because they are more predictable and I can open up my throw/throw hyzers without fear of having to hit a gap. I'll also add that at the course I was referring to (Cliff Stephens) is not only open, but just happens to have hole lengths that are either better for my Buzzz or better for my PDs.

I can see that. I'm usually working with relatively safe ground cover on open holes and throw my Cyclone on a low hyzer line...if there was water to throw over and lots of wind, I'd pick something else too (but not the PD, too glidey). For me, there is nothing safer than a Buzzz thrown on a soft hyzer line.

FLX plastic should never be used in drivers. ESP is grippy enough even in frigid weather. The smaller rims of drivers make them too flexible in flx. Its just my opinion, I know guys who love flx surges and flx XL's