• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I decided to take a step back and just concentrate on throwing mainly putters and mids. My main driving putter is a Soft Focus and I do like it but I was wondering how the Ion does for off the tee drives? Also as far as mids are concerned I was curious about MVPs lineup.

The reason why I am taking the step back is I did what most people do in disc golf and go straight for the high speed drivers. Which ultimately did more damage than anything.

Any info would be greatly appreciated:)

So I decided to take a step back and just concentrate on throwing mainly putters and mids. My main driving putter is a Soft Focus and I do like it but I was wondering how the Ion does for off the tee drives? Also as far as mids are concerned I was curious about MVPs lineup.

The reason why I am taking the step back is I did what most people do in disc golf and go straight for the high speed drivers. Which ultimately did more damage than anything.

Any info would be greatly appreciated:)

Some people use the Ion as a driving putter only and don't even putt with it because it is one of the best driving putters, similar to the wizard.. I putt with the Ion and drive with the tangent instead.

As for a good mid-range for a new guy i would say the tangent because it will fly straight longer and give you some extra distance till you can move up to something a little more stable like a Vector.

If you want to dabble in the fairway drivers, start with an MVP Amp, its slightly under-stable but for new people seems to fly straight because they dont have the power yet.

After you can throw the amp and get it to turn over, move up to a Neutron Volt and go from there.

also watch this video:

Will is a skinny dude, so if he can throw 500, so can you :D

Some people use the Ion as a driving putter only and don't even putt with it because it is one of the best driving putters, similar to the wizard.. I putt with the Ion and drive with the tangent instead.

As for a good mid-range for a new guy i would say the tangent because it will fly straight longer and give you some extra distance till you can move up to something a little more stable like a Vector.

If you want to dabble in the fairway drivers, start with an MVP Amp, its slightly under-stable but for new people seems to fly straight because they dont have the power yet.

After you can throw the amp and get it to turn over, move up to a Neutron Volt and go from there.

also watch this video:

Will is a skinny dude, so if he can throw 500, so can you :D

Cool thanks.

I also have 2 magics one is Soft and the other is SSS any comparison there?

For mids I have a roc, shark, buzz. Is the tangent somewhat comparable to any of these? Also for fairways I have a leopard and a teebird. Is the Amp along those lines?

I know its a pain in the ass to "compare" one companies discs to another, I am just trying to get a feel for what to expect before buying.

I have been wanting to try other disc manufacturers but I have to either order online or drive about 50 miles to get my hands on MVP's. Obviously I would like to hold them in my hand before purchasing so I will have to make the drive lol.

Also thanks again:)

Cool thanks.

For mids I have a roc, shark, buzz. Is the tangent somewhat comparable to any of these? Also for fairways I have a leopard and a teebird. Is the Amp along those lines?

I know its a pain in the ass to "compare" one companies discs to another, I am just trying to get a feel for what to expect before buying.

I have been wanting to try other disc manufacturers but I have to either order online or drive about 50 miles to get my hands on MVP's. Obviously I would like to hold them in my hand before purchasing so I will have to make the drive lol.

never thrown a magic, sorry

mids:
roc = vector (like a flat top roc)
buzzz = Axis (axis is straighter)
comet = tangent (very neutral flying disc)

fairways:
leopard = Amp (depends on the leopard, but amps are slightly more stable)
teebird = volt (the latest run of volts are 0 hss and 2 lss, similar to tbird)

i recommend buying from any of these websites: (just google the names)

marshalstreet
communitydiscs
discgolfcenter

Cool thanks.

The Anode (MVP's other putter) is slightly more stable than a Magic, but is certainly closer to it than the Ion.

The Tangent is different than any of those mids you mentioned: more turn and less fade. If you've ever thrown a beat-in Roc, to the point where it turns on a decent drive, it's kind of like that. Totally different feel in the hand though - it has a narrower, smooth rim. I love it for neutral lines, anny approaches, minimal fade, and tight, wooded holes <250'.

I pair it with the Tensor, MVP's beefiest mid - it flies straighter longer on a flat throw than other mids of comparable stability, which is a trait I like. I haven't tried the Axis or the Vector yet, though, though I intend to fix that fairly soon.

They're good discs: very controllable.

The Anode (MVP's other putter) is slightly more stable than a Magic, but is certainly closer to it than the Ion.

The Tangent is different than any of those mids you mentioned: more turn and less fade. If you've ever thrown a beat-in Roc, to the point where it turns on a decent drive, it's kind of like that. Totally different feel in the hand though - it has a narrower, smooth rim. I love it for neutral lines, anny approaches, minimal fade, and tight, wooded holes <250'.

I pair it with the Tensor, MVP's beefiest mid - it flies straighter longer on a flat throw than other mids of comparable stability, which is a trait I like. I haven't tried the Axis or the Vector yet, though, though I intend to fix that fairly soon.

They're good discs: very controllable.

Great :) thanks for the info

Ok. Sounds good. Thanks again

I am also on a similar boat of starting with too many fast drivers and went to changing my bag to only fairway drivers and below (except for the boatman, which I can flick really nicely). The Ion is great for driving and approach shots and the amp and volt are really great for people working on their form but can throw a mid properly. I also recommend the shock for both having a nice overstable fairway driver and an excellent go-to disc for forehand shots.

I am also on a similar boat of starting with too many fast drivers and went to changing my bag to only fairway drivers and below (except for the boatman, which I can flick really nicely). The Ion is great for driving and approach shots and the amp and volt are really great for people working on their form but can throw a mid properly. I also recommend the shock for both having a nice overstable fairway driver and an excellent go-to disc for forehand shots.

The only driver I kept in my bag is a blizzard wraith just because its so light. But other than that its all Faiways and down in my bag as well.

I have been looking for a new disc company and MVP caught my eye. I can't wait to get a couple in my bag:)

yeah most neutral putters have less HSS than anodes for sure. Its one of the least OS putters that I can put the most juice into and not worry.

Somewhere, Hammer's ears start to burn......

Yeah, about that......not even close. Rocs are glidey, break in well, and you can throw them into mild headwinds. Vector doesn't do any of those well. I'm sure you're all shocked that I disagree with Plex.

The Anode is nothing like a Magic. Magic is way more understable. I think the Anode is closest to a Gateway Voodoo.

Last edited:
After doing more field work with my Magic vs Anode, I have to agree with Mike, and Hammer. The Anode has a bit more stability, and OAT fighting potential. I wouldn't say the Magic is "way" more understable, but the difference is noticeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.